Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-13-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
I've been paying attention to my fuel consumption this season on my 23' MasterCraft 230 VRS with the NorthStar 5.7L LTR. Last season was the first year I had it and never checked.

We run anywhere from 580-1,600 lbs of ballast (Depending on who brings the bags) and 3-6 people in the boat. I've only taken it out about 3 times this year on quick after work trips where the engine gets about 2 hrs of runtime according to the tach (Supposedly accurate to 1/10th of an hr) and PerfectPass (~3 hrs "on the water" all wakeboarding, no cruising, minimal idling, no power turns).

I started filling it back up right after coming off of the water vs. running the tank down (60 gal) over the course of a few outings then refueling. Each time it has only taken about 9 gallons to refill the tank. I never trust that it's full with that little bit of gas despite what the fuel gage and the gas pump auto shutoff claims and end up overflowing it at least a couple of times to be sure.

Anyway, 4.5 GPH seems pretty low compared to what I've seen others post in other threads even for smaller boats.

FWIW this is with known ethanol free gas. I definitely need to get a larger sample size (more run time before refilling) to get a more accurate GPH number but is this impossibly low?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
No, that doesnt seem that low, sounds about right. Thats really not that much weight.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-13-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Yeah that seems about right with that amount of weight in the boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
If anything, that sounds pretty good to me
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
I get simlilar GPH in a 22' footer when we do not fill the Heavys. The GPH drops to 6-7GPH when we have more than 2000 in it. You pay a lot over the course of the year for that extra 6 inches of wake but it is worth it.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-13-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
I don't want to calculate my gph when we're surfing with 3,000lbs
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-13-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Seems not wrong, but good "mileage." That is not a lot of ballast.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-14-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Went out for a couple of hours yesterday and got 4.85 GPH with a bit more people weight (6 dudes) and the same 1,600 lbs of ballast. When finances permit I will be automating my rear ballast with some 750s putting the total weight at 2k (Might have to underfill the 750s). The next phase after that will be the integrated bow sac which will probably hold about 500 under my seats but that may not happen until next season.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-14-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I've been paying attention to my fuel consumption this season on my 23' MasterCraft 230 VRS with the NorthStar 5.7L LTR.
Not to change the subject but there is no such thing as a 5.7L NorthStar. The NorthStar was a Quad overhead cam motor that at its largest displacement is 4.6L that was only used for 1 model year as an option. Was at Indmar for training last month and was told there was only 1 left in the public.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-14-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07launch22ssv View Post
Not to change the subject but there is no such thing as a 5.7L NorthStar.
FWIW, it says "LTR NorthStar Ignition" on a big logo on top of the engine.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
The LTR is definitely a 5.7L engine with the Northstar ignition. My 2000 X-Star has same exact setup.

While on the topic I don't even want to begin to calculate that. I wonder how many people are actually thinking of reducing their ballast configs this summer due to Obama factor and gas