Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
I live in AZ and in the summer it's usually at least 100+ degrees, so it gets hot!

This last week I purchased this Portable Mister System from Home Depot. I originally bought it to help help keep my rabbit hutches cool and ended up doing a permanent installation instead, so I had this kit left over. Anyhow, I ended up hooking this up to my shower hose in my boat and hanging it from the bimini top. After trying a couple different locations for the nozzles we figured out how to place them so it didn't spray in my face or on the mirror. THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME!! I would suggest that anyone that gets really hot in the boat try these. My shower is ran by a cheap on demand pump that I bought at the RV warehouse, the pump only runs for about 2 seconds before shutting off again and only comes back on about every other minute. THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME!

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-15-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
huh pretty cool.... does the inside of the boat and carpet end up wet or does it pretty much evaporate before it hits the ground?
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
It mostly evaporates. If the nozzles are spraying directly on something like the tower or bimini it will bead up and then drip, but once the nozzles are adjusted it's not a problem. It's crazy how much it cools the boat. My shower only has hot water, if you put your hand on the nozzle the water will burn you (175 degrees), but once it turns to mist, it feels cold!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-15-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
good idea!

we use a spray bottle filled with water for a quick misting.
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
I think I am might try a blinged out Grant style version where I pressurize the frame for my bimini top.... I'm still working on the idea, but I think it will work great!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
We had a hose setup under the swimstep so it would drag in the water as the boat was underway. Then had the misters setup like your doing it, mostly in the back 1/2 or 2/3rds of the boat.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-15-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Old news.... Already have a 5 gallon misting system
built into my 2010 23 LSV WS - with 3 nozzles shooting down from the G3
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Well Brian... you are clearly a genius, thanks for your input!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Mister systems are awesome. Good ones can drop the ambient temperature about 20 degrees. I have been wondering for a couple years if there were any WW'ers down south that installed these. If I needed one where I live I'd sure get one but as it is we are having a tough time hitting 65 degrees!
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Misters are nice but they leave some nasty water spots.

Been there, gave up on that. Less work at the end of the day to just jump in the water to cool off.
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Jim,
What do you mean by water spots? Where? What type of water do you boat in? What about using a reservoir with distilled water? What was your setup? Our sets are usually pretty long and we all get hot. I would like to hear about your setup and the associated problems that you had.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-15-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I run a sediment filter...softens the water
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
This is a really cool idea! I would love to plumb some misters into my boat - not sure if I'm quite up to it yet though after wiring my tower speakers! I can imagine fishing a 1/4" tube through the damn tower, haha.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Jim,
What do you mean by water spots? Where? What type of water do you boat in? What about using a reservoir with distilled water? What was your setup? Our sets are usually pretty long and we all get hot. I would like to hear about your setup and the associated problems that you had.
We used a 12 volt submersible water pump. We boat on the Colorado river, the water is harsh like most lakes or rivers. The water spots would be so bad that it looked like a white film anywhere the mist touches(windows,gunnels, upholstery, etc...) very hard to get off. I guess you could use distilled water or a softening filter to help to avoid the water spots. Never went to that much trouble so I can't say how well it works.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-16-2010, 11:45 PM Reply   
Post some pictures of your setup on the boat please. This is interesting.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-17-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
I think it has to do with the high humidity we have near the coast ( Houston, Texas) but misters don't work to good for us. they work great in very dry climates
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-17-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
I prefer Misses to Misters on my boat, especially when it's hot out there, but this does seem like a cool idea for those hot days.

Last edited by jtnz; 06-17-2010 at 4:39 PM.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
will the misters work with engine off? or do you have to keep the engine running?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-23-2011, 5:11 AM Reply   
Are you pulling form raw water or a res? I thought this would be a cool idea but we boat in salt water so pulling raw water is not an otption, it hard enough to keep that ***** outt he boat as it is...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
I know factory kitted has a resevoir system on his boat and uses distilled water so he doesn't get water spots. The pumps for them are all electric so no need to have the engine on.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
cool idea, and im with ya sam on how hot it gets here, but ill just jump in the water when im hot haha.
If its a nasty day, we take the shammies we use to whipe down the boat, throw them in the cooler, and when you need to get cool while someones up grab it, ring it out, and throw it on your neck. works great. less work. I got enough hoses running everywhere for the ballast haha.