Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-13-2013, 10:17 PM Reply   
I have narrowed down my selection to these two particular speakers. Love the look of the sport grilles on the JL's. curious on some feedback before I decide. Spec wise the decision should be easy but paper specs don't always tell the tale. I will be running 2 speakers off each front channel of a Syn 4 for a total of 4 cabins on my Xstar 1.0. The other 2 channels will be bridged to a 12 inch Polk sub. I have another Syn 4 pushing my Rev 8's.
My sub is def not not gonna blow anyone away and neither will my system but its plenty enough for me. Looking for some mid bass to add to it from the 6.5 inboats. Mainly listen to rap/pop.
My local JL retailer says these MX 650's even though they are only rated at 60 rms and have a 3/4 inch silk tweeter .....they will keep up with any speaker out there with 100watts going to it. For me they would flow awesome with the sport grilles in my ride. Just not sure if I will be sacrifing too much performance wise vs the Wetsounds XS650

Any thoughts from people are much appreciated.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-14-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Both great speakers.. He is correct, 100 watts is good for the JL... I think your under estimating the quality of the system you describe... It will blow normal folks away... It will be LOUD executed right... This gets my stamp of approval hehe

BTW, Polk subs are OK, later when you have some change, get a JL 12w3 4ohm and a ported box... You'll be impressed with half a syn on it... then your all JL and WS!!

Last edited by Truekaotik; 03-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-14-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
swat,

Great choices there. However you should be comparing the MX650 to the Wet Sounds XS-65i. The MX650 and XS-65i are both 60 watt rms speakers and both use 3/4 dome tweeters. The JL is silk and the Wet Sounds is aluminum. Now the JL M650 is a 75 watt rms with a 1 inch silk tweeter and the Wet Sounds XS-650 is a 100 watts rms with a 1 inch titanium tweeter. So a bit more apples to apples.

My suggestion is to always take a listen and compare what you have narrowed down. Try to get a good demo with the same power so you can compare which one sounds the best for you. I can tell you that in our demo boats we always do a demo with just the XS-650 playing and no sub. And everytime someone thinks there is a sub playing. Or we have one hidden somewhere LOL.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-14-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
I won't get into the preference thing because the sound is different and it is a subjective choice. But I will say these are my two favorites by a country mile among all marine coaxials.
Typically you would expect a larger voice coil tweeter to have more thermal capacity and handle more power. However, there are many other elements that determine this like the passive tweeter crossover frequency and slope. A 1st order slope is 1/4th power an octave below the crossover point while a 2nd order slope is 1/16th power an octave below the crossover point.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Tim,

I don't want to get into a huge debate over gear and JL vs Wetsounds. I understand completely what you are getting at. and also understood the differences on paper and construction as mentioned. But paper specs can't just be read at face value in most cases. Spec wise there are always some lower spec stuff that will compete at the higher level and some higher spec stuff that doesnt meet it's potential.

I have heard the XS 65 and I really was't impressed with it. Hence why I went with Polk Ultra Marine MM's instead of the XS 65's in a previous upgrade . Similar price points, but felt you got more with the Polks and liked their smoother sound. My local shop along with some buddies who are audio guys put the JL MX in the League with the XS 650 from a sound standpoint, and put that JL M series in a league of its own. Their words not mine sound quality wise. Unfortunately I have no way of putting them side to side in my location for a demo.

Again ths isn't necessarily a which brand is better question because we all know they are both tops .........Its more of a what u can expect sound wise. From what I can find in the comparisons in past posts with other MFG's not the JL directly I am thinking this....
I am thinking pure raw output the XS650's will have the edge, but will be a bit more on the high side, where that JL will be more "smooth"

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-14-2013 at 6:34 PM.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-14-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Swat,

You may have heard the XS-65 and not the XS-65i. The XS-65i is a new speaker with different tweeter and different VC. Sounds completely different than the older 65 speaker.

The XS-650 has tons and tons of mid bass. Tons. So no it wouldn't be the output on the highs. I always try to stay away from brand to brand.

Let me know if there is anyway I can help get you a demo so you can hear for yourself.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2013, 7:41 PM Reply   
HMMMM didnt realized u guys had a new 6.5 It was definitely the original XS 65

I don't see the 65i listed on your site so would love to hear some details as to the changes and what it does compared to the old speaker.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-14-2013 at 7:43 PM.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I have heard the XS 65 and I really was't impressed with it. Hence why I went with Polk Ultra Marine MM's instead of the XS 65's in a previous upgrade . Similar price points, but felt you got more with the Polks and liked their smoother sound.
I wouldn't even call them a similar price point. XS-65's are $175/pair and I'm not seeing them much cheaper anywhere.

MM651UM's can be had for $135/pair shipped pretty easily. I went with the standard MM651's because they are 2.7ohm instead of 4 which works better for my setup and got them @ $93/pair shipped due to some dented boxes. I'll take a small dent in the box they came in for that kind of savings.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Swatguy, it looks like you and I are 3 hours apart, and I know there's not a dealer between you and I. My shop is 3 miles from the Southern Illinois border in KY.

I believe I've got a set of 65i's in stock, and I'd be willing to let you demo them in your boat if it helps your decision.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-14-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
i'll second what tim said about the xs-650s. I was tuning my system today and had to double check that i disconnected the rca cable to my sub amp while i worked on my inboats because there was so much bass coming from the 4 xs650's. Blew my mind how low those things could go and be clear before i set the crossover up higher... I'm running 125w rms to each one and they scream.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-16-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
I prefer the sound of the 650's myself!