Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Aj750r)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: MN       08-12-2019, 1:39 AM Reply   
Hi All,

I have owned a '02 Wakesetter VLX for going on 5 years, and I am finally looking to upgrade to something newer and maybe a little roomier. My research has led me to a few options and I was hoping to get some opinions based on your knowledge or experience on/behind them since I can't exactly demo older boats.

As far as on water activity, I am probably up to around 90% surf (my days of wake boarding seem to have past). Fit/finish is less important, but I would be interested in opinions on how you think the older higher end interiors would compare to the newer 'entry' boats. Durability and resale would be a factor as well as how much usable space is in each. For example, will the same size (21) of a newer boat feel significantly bigger as they have grown in beam? Will the +1ft from a 23 vs a 22 make all the difference? etc.

Boats that fit the bill near me with some comments/questions I'd love some feedback on as well as your overall opinions on these hulls:

2010-2012 Malibu 23 LSV with varying hours, lower end is around 250. Most are the base engine, one is the supercharged 550 (not being at altitude would this be worth it?)

2010 Super Air Nautique 230

2014 Axis T22 around 250 hours, surf gate, newer but seemingly not as preferred as the 23 models? Surf gate might be nice, but I have had great success with the side attachment work around

2015 Supreme S21, smallest and currently cheapest, but while I have seen a lot of love for the 238 or 226, the S21 always seems to be an after thought...

So with that, any thoughts/direction? Thanks in advance!
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       08-12-2019, 6:45 AM Reply   
You can never have too much engine. Worth the cost is subjective.

Is rough water ride important to you? Do your lakes get crappy and choppy when you're out but you still wanna surf? If so I'd be learning towards Deep V hulls, like Supreme, Tige, MB, Nautique. In 5 years no one will be buying used boats unless they have surf systems & the ones without the systems will be taking a hit in resale. If the boats you listed were my only choice I'd probably go with the Axis, but I'd demo the Supreme for sure. I'd also demo other Supreme models, they have some good boats.
Old     (Aj750r)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: MN       08-12-2019, 9:06 AM Reply   
Cost is similar, slightly more hours on the bigger engine but nothing that I consider concerning.

Rough water riding is important - I'm used to a pretty small more or less 'flat' bottomed boat so I think any of these would be a big improvement, but its honestly why I left the S21 in the consideration set. That and it's supposed to throw down a pretty good wave. That said, it is only 21ft and the main cabin looks cramped in favor of a bigger bow area. I will have to demo it and make a judgement.

I agree people will be looking for surf systems, but I do wonder if the resale value of that is washed away by the fact that its a 2014 vs others that are older and would have taken the age hit already. I'm likely thinking too hard.

On the Axis I am just worried about durability. I have read about vinyl tearing issues and it just not holding up well in general. My understanding is that this quality got better over time, but that 2014 might still not be quite up to par. Thoughts?