Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SlapHappy916)      Join Date: Mar 2015       06-12-2017, 12:00 PM Reply   
With all the talk about LED rub rails I have been getting this season I wanted to share something we did a little differently. We did a lot of upgrades to this Malibu including 6 Wet Sounds REV10s on the tower, building larger enclosures for the 8" front bow speakers, modifying the dash to fit 8" speakers, completely rebuilding the rear side panels to upgrade to the 8" speaker as well as angled it back and lowered the cup holder mounts for taller drinks, acrylic face subwoofer enclosures under the drivers and passenger dash, underwater transom lights and all of the LEDs and acrylic rings to the speakers and cup holders all tied into the Wet Sounds 4-zone shadowcaster controller. But one that we had a lot of fun with was the windshield trim. I was very happy with how it came out so check out the pics and for a video of it check it out here https://youtu.be/845UMGd1d1g
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2017, 2:08 PM Reply   
That's cool what did you use for the windshield trim? Looks like a clear rubber or some sort of frosted plastic of fiber optic?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-12-2017, 2:39 PM Reply   
That's wicked cool! Been wanting to do some lighting myself but hard to justify since I haven't been on the water after dark once...
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-12-2017, 3:59 PM Reply   
WOW! Wonderful work...
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-12-2017, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
That's cool what did you use for the windshield trim? Looks like a clear rubber or some sort of frosted plastic of fiber optic?

Yea, what he said!
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-12-2017, 8:57 PM Reply   
Been doing that for years, too bad the Lake Powell rangers don't share our enthusiasm...lol
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
Anyone care to share the details about the lit up window frame.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-13-2017, 12:47 PM Reply   
Might be cool to do the widow trim so you can have it red on one side and green on the other like the bow nav light . Then Johnny law might let it slide . Be cool if it was on a controller and you could change any color then to legal colors while underway . The cops arent playing when it comes to lighting I watched them bust over 20 boats for having forward facing lights (light bar) on while under way last year on the delta .
Old     (SlapHappy916)      Join Date: Mar 2015       06-13-2017, 5:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. This was definitely a fun and challenging project but the final outcome is always worth doing it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2017, 6:17 PM Reply   
Slap: what are u guys using to do this mod?
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2017, 7:08 PM Reply   
My MC has a small channel in the frames that fits the light strips perfectly. In the daylight you can barely even see the strip. I drilled a small hole in the fiberglass under the rearmost part of the windshield and ran the wires through then tied into existing led circuit.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-5050/1622/
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2017, 7:11 PM Reply   
Slap,
I didn't do the middle windshield section for fear of those wires moving a bunch and possibly getting snagged on something or someone. How did you go about doing it? Looks awesome!
Old     (SlapHappy916)      Join Date: Mar 2015       06-14-2017, 11:22 AM Reply   
Grant: We use a weather resistant polycarbonate material that we cut, bend and shape in house as well as frost both front and back pieces so you do not see the LED strip at all.

Ryan: On this Malibu there is a very small area where the wire can tuck into and not get pinched or pulled on by people so we used a black braided loom, heat shrunk both ends and made the wire exact so when the windshield opens it comes out with it and when it closes, it slides right back into place. I do not have any pics of it at all but I'll try to have the customer send me some during the day so you guys can see it more clearly.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-16-2017, 10:16 PM Reply   
Fudge... I want to do this to my boat!