Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-19-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey,

So i have been super close to landing my back roll all year; however, its seems to elude me still. My two issues are I either just barely clip the other side of the wake when doing a wake to wake or the rope is popped from my hands due to line tension. Any pointers on how to nail these two issues down as my buddies are tired of having to pick me up after numerous falls.

Thanks!

Tyler
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-19-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'll post a video tonight once my buddy figures out how to get it off his phone...
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-21-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqC1S...ature=youtu.be
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
You are very close. Try keeping two hands on the handle longer, keep you chest up through the wake and maybe edge away a little more. No matter what you are going to land one soon, just keep at it.
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-21-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
first question is are you trying to do a progressive back roll or a Mexican back roll? I can only help with a progressive roll. if progressive, it looks like your loading the line incorrectly or to early .a progressive back roll should resemble a cartwheel motion. yours looks like your almost doing a raley the way your feet go out the back and then you roll forward. you should always start your trick from the bottom of the wake, edge out about 10 ft from white wash slowly coast back into the white wash and the at the white wash that's when you load the line. once off the wake your back shoulder should go down towards the water and your feet up over your head. then you can start to look over your front shoulder to try and spot the water for the landing. once you land continue edging out away from the wake. that might be hard to visualize, and my explanation may not be the best. better explanation with video help go to learnwake.com and that can clear it up
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-21-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Mexi backroll fosho, get the handle closer to your body and give the handle a slight tug when inverted and you'll land on your feet
if you want to land a true backroll enter the wake more perpendicular
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-22-2013, 6:13 AM Reply   
I looked into the Mexican back roll and the main difference is the direction of the flip rotation. they also said that the Mexican br should have less line tension then a progressive. the direction of the spin should resemble the ts front roll rotation. common issues are to forward of a rotation( straight forward like front flip on trampoline), and hitting the rope with the board

Last edited by amsugg; 08-22-2013 at 6:15 AM. Reason: clarification of rotation direction
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-22-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
I think all of you guys just made it WAAAY too confusing for a guy who could easily stomp his next one if he changes nothing.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-22-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
Which one is easier?

When I am landing I have a TON of tension in the rope which is pulling the rope out of my hands most of the time. When I was boarding on Tuesday i came down super hard on my front foot resulting in me tweaking my back knee as it kept going even though the board stopped.

I also keep just barely clipping the top of the other wake resulting in me eating it... Any recommendations on how to avoid this pain? Not bright enough to give this back roll desire up even though my body is throwing up the white flag!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
If you're case'n the wake you need to cut out a little further and keep a progressive edge all the way up the wake
The slight tug with your forward hand when inverted with give you some slack in the line and it'll rotate you back to your feet
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-22-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
I think the progressive is easier, how fast are you going and what length rope are you riding? I would shorten the rope to make it easier to clear the wake so you don't have to worry about having enough momentum to clear. Once you get the br technique down pat then you can go back to your normal riding length and work on amplitude

Last edited by amsugg; 08-22-2013 at 5:03 PM. Reason: Add info
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-22-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
Check it free version join the club for better instructions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhC...e_gdata_player

10 bucks gets you all the help you will ever need
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
That video is a good example of how to get your knees in a brace
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-22-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.... It's how I learned my BR and many many others as well with same methods
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-23-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
I am riding at 63 feet going about 21.3 mph. When we have my MC X5 filled with 1300 lbs that seems to be the location with the best pop!
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-23-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Did you add fat sacs to your X5 to get it to 1300lbs?
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-23-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yep, I have four sacs placed in the boat. two at 400 lbs on each side of the motor and two 250 lbs sacks placed in front of the motor and in the bow. The lil guy cant handle much more weight as the front already likes to take a lil water if your not careful!
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
watch the video follow the steps nail the back roll, it covers it all, rope length, speed .... those guys are pros (current and retired)
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-23-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
The rope on my distance will defer as mine at 70 feet back has the wake being SUPER wide. I have watched that video; however, saying how to do it and doing it are very different things.

Last edited by TC_Mastercraf_X5; 08-23-2013 at 1:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
Agreed about saying and doing
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-28-2013, 3:59 AM Reply   
Finally landed it! Now consistency is going to be the next step...
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-28-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
Congratulations my friend..... Now learn it switch !!!!!!