Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wallsrodcustom)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-14-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
Hello Ppl, new on here, i am looking for a killer system for sound. I currently am building a sound system on a X14. I have tried dealing with wetsounds- but have had very poor success with trying to purchase there product. Is there any other products you guys would recommend? To give you a example of system i am trying to build- i was looking for 3 1200 watt amps, 1 6 channel amp, 6 towers, and i currently have 2 JL 13.5 1200 watt subs.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-14-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
With that kind of power, I'd seriously consider upgrading your charging and battery bank or isolate it to shore charging only. Especially with two 13.5 alone...

I'm lost on how you had no success purchasing from wetsounds? You can buy directly off the site..
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-14-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
Brian,
First day. Welcome.
For anyone to really assist you, we would need far more detail about the application and your objectives. Which amplifier configurations would be driving which speakers? Which subwoofer model? What enclosure type and located where? And so on.
For six big speakers on the tower, you'll have to get the width of the pods and measure the tower for width and obstacles. If the tower speaker has dual collars you'll have to get the C/L to C/L. Some of this you'll have to calculate on your own in the field.
Let us know. Happy to help.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-14-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Brian, where are you from?

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck lately with other dealers. Sales and happy customers keep a business alive.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-14-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
Walls Rod Custom in Canada?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-14-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
That's what I found from Google.....
Old     (wallsrodcustom)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-14-2013, 7:48 PM Reply   
Yes I'm from Canada. We build specialty hi boost applications in diesel, 2500 hp street cars etc. we custom tune on efi at all levels. We have been getting into the custom boat stuff, and have a build were doing. The subs were using are the JL 13w7ae-d1.5. 2 of them. I have already twin alternators set up, 2 1000 ca battery's. was thinking of 3 - sd2 amps. One for each sub and one for 4 towers. Or running the sd6 and put 6 towers. The boats a Mastercraft boat with the factory JL units. I wanted to replace with the rev 8s.
Being from Canada- they want you to contact them. Then they refuse you to a " exclusive" dealer. Which tells you they won't sell to another province, which then refutes you to a single name and a phone number- which then never answers his phone. Extremely upsetting. To the point of changing brands. This is why I'm looking for some help on here. By the looks of it- I'm in the right place!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-15-2013, 5:47 AM Reply   
Brian,
I mean no disrespect, but honestly from reading your comments, you have a very long way to go before you grasp the audio side of things. In the near term I would partner up with a Wetsounds dealer close to you for design and technical assistance.
If you want serious wake power, you really made the right call with Wetsounds. I realize the distribution is different in Canada. So be patient and maybe a bit creative as this develops.
If you have a 3-ohm woofer you might consider a JL Audio Slash 1200/1 for each. Then use the big Wetsounds SD amplifiers for all other applications.
Rev8s in the coaming?
With the direction of this system you will need serious reserves in specifically deep cycle batteries and a very large shore charger comensurate with the battery reserves.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Not sure where in Canada you are but Brian at Exile is in Oregon. He is phenomenal to work with in my opinion his products are equally as good as the WS products and in some cases better or more functional. Of course I am just some guy on the internet. But I am 100% positive you would be really happy with the XM9s. I have 4 of them. You got nothing to lose either way. Tim at WS makes a great product as well and would be happy to have WS on my boat. Here is the info do with it what you will.

Exile Audio
17430 SW 63rd Avenue,
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035

1 (888) 249-0970
(866) 824-4633 fax

Customer Service Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10am-5pm PST.

Or by email;
support@exileaudio.com
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-15-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Not sure where in Canada you are but Brian at Exile is in Oregon. He is phenomenal to work with in my opinion his products are equally as good as the WS products and in some cases better or more functional. Of course I am just some guy on the internet. But I am 100% positive you would be really happy with the XM9s. I have 4 of them. You got nothing to lose either way. Tim at WS makes a great product as well and would be happy to have WS on my boat. Here is the info do with it what you will.

Exile Audio
17430 SW 63rd Avenue,
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035

1 (888) 249-0970
(866) 824-4633 fax

Customer Service Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10am-5pm PST.

Or by email;
support@exileaudio.com
I agree, the Wetsounds and JL are nice but very pricey. Brian from Exile will make you a great deal on equipment that certainly has no problem keeping up with the other brands. He will also walk you or an inclined friend through the install. He will even help you find an installer.
Earmark will talk over your head, call you dumb (of coarse not directly) and tell you you shouldn't "micro manage" your stereo by not buying the equipment from a different place then you have it installed.
People love Earmark so I will get basted for this, but I read it over and over again. He will also point out a xm9 is an 8" speaker and class d amps are the only way to go. Those JL HD amps are very pricey, I bought some because it was the only way to go. Turns out my less expensive class a/b amp was just fine and much cheaper.
Again, this is my opinion and I don't work in the industry or even own Exile equipment. But I have friends who do and it sounds just as good as my Wetsounds and JL equipment. We all play out systems at the beach for the same length of time as well with no issues.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-15-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
take it from me i learned the hard way on boat stereos, i bet im well over 40,000.00 deep into mine. i dont compete in stereo comps or anything like that. just a really expensive hobby i picked up a few years ago.

if your going all out on a huge stereo, the first thing you need to do is find someone that knows how to build a stereo to that magnitude, and im not talking about car stereos im mean boat stereos! ive had my x80 in at least a half a dozen car audio shops and each time the work was poorly done and the price was always high. the biggest problem that most shops i delt with is the tuning. i would say 75% of car audio shops have never seen a wetsound speaker and they sure cant tune it either! they can make them sound good to the ear but the type of watts i was throwing to everything all i had was a ticking time bomb that ended with blowing speakers. i actually keep a pair of rev10s and a rev410 under my bow seats so when i blew one i could just unbolt the smoked speakers and bolt up fresh ones at the lake so the party never ended.

i to have a automotive shop and we build and tune chevy gas engines LS based. we turn out a few high boosting trucks, cars and cam and head packages we us hp tuners. stereo stuff is no different than motors. you can take any motor and put the best of the best parts in it and if you let someone tune it that doest have a clue to whats going on. you still get melted pistons! so if your wanting the best stereo and best equipment, you better find the best to install and tune it, or its a never ending money pit!!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-15-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
I agree, the Wetsounds and JL are nice but very pricey. Brian from Exile will make you a great deal on equipment that certainly has no problem keeping up with the other brands. He will also walk you or an inclined friend through the install. He will even help you find an installer.
Earmark will talk over your head, call you dumb (of coarse not directly) and tell you you shouldn't "micro manage" your stereo by not buying the equipment from a different place then you have it installed.
People love Earmark so I will get basted for this, but I read it over and over again. He will also point out a xm9 is an 8" speaker and class d amps are the only way to go. Those JL HD amps are very pricey, I bought some because it was the only way to go. Turns out my less expensive class a/b amp was just fine and much cheaper.
Again, this is my opinion and I don't work in the industry or even own Exile equipment. But I have friends who do and it sounds just as good as my Wetsounds and JL equipment. We all play out systems at the beach for the same length of time as well with no issues.
Rob,
Nice approach. Until your post there was no brand drama, no personal attacks, and no attacks on any brand. Just people giving the most frank and honest advice they have to give. So then you attack an advocate of JL Audio and Wetsounds. And, from someone who lives in Exile's backyard, Portland. Anybody can read my posts here or on any other forum so they are well aware of what I am likely to say. Do you really think that you have helped Exile in any way with the tone and content of this post?

David
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-15-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
This thread is a downer.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-15-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
Man I missed a lot...
Im still trying to figure out where the left field attack came from?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       02-15-2013, 2:25 PM Reply   
sounds liek you need twice, maybe 3 times, as many batteries as you think you do. Not sure why people continue to build these huge systems with limpd*ck battery banks...

also not sure why people come on the forum asking fo rasdvice from people who have done this a several times, and then dont listen lol.

Shoot Tim @ wetsounds a PM on this forum, he will respond very quickly. He will get your supply issue sorted out immediately if you're ready to move on his products. Great customer service.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2013, 11:02 PM Reply   
Hi Brian,

Welcome to WW I think? Those of us who have been on here for years can smell a skunk a mile away and my nose is twitching. Not sure why you needed to get into brand negativity with your question but I will ignore that and I won't pick on your ski boat masquerading as a wakeboard boat either (well not too much...).

The X14 is a rather small boat with limited space. The motor in the middle will make it much more challenging to do anything that I would consider killer. I have been in two different X14's, one had great equipment, installed well that was a big disappointment. The other had some random equipment, used amps, poorly installed, but somehow it all came together and sounded way better than it should have. The main difference between these boats was sub placement. The poor sounding boat had subs in both driver and passenger sides of the boat. The one that sounded good only had subs on the passenger side. As much as I don't like putting subs under the passenger seat, you don't have much choice with this boat. I would recommend you build a sealed spec box for only one JL13.5 (is it a W7?) and power it with 1000 watts. The stock JL boat speakers are fine if you power them up and enable the high pass crossovers on the amp feeding them. Seems like you are already sold on Exile, I would limit the system to 4 XM9's and power them off the harpoon amp and call the tower done. Add three 120aH AGM batteries with a charging relay between the one for starting and the two for the stereo and onboard charger. Wire it up, tune the phasing and gains, and XO points and be done with it.

If this doesn't meet your "killer system" needs then I would recommend you go boat shopping for a bigger V-drive.

Best of luck!

Last edited by mikeski; 02-15-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-16-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
Of all of the stereo people I have dealt with, I would have to say in my case Brian was the most helpful and patient. The OP was dealing the success issues so my advice is dont go just by the many good brands, go by service, service , service.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-18-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
Brian - To answer your question, yes you do have many options other than Wetsounds. Exile gear is but one of them... I think these guys want to know where your located because they are internet retailers hawking their goods. Since you are in a different country, I think the best solution for you would be to contact Trends Electronics at 604-988-2966. I'd ask to speak to Jay and give him your location and concerns. Trends is the master distributor for... you guessed it... WS and Exile. They can refer to you to places that carry both brands if you want to get help at the shop level and give you real time suggestions on both brands (or others for that matter). They carry many brands.

@ Rob. Sorry for you being from the NW and getting beat up in forums about Exile for being in the same locality. Guilty by location sir! haha! Fact is, I had a nice local Xstar here with WS in it tis morning that needed tuning help. Did he end up on our facebook page? No. Did he pay us money? Nope. but we will help anyone regardless of brand associations. We are just that way in the NW. I appreciate your kind words!

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-18-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
^^^^ That's just kind of a bitter post.

"....internet retailers hawking their goods." Thus far only one person has done that. No other invitations were offered. Kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

"Rob. Sorry for you being from NW and getting beat up in forums about Exile for being in the same locality." This was a polite thread until Rob came out of left field with an attack. Nothing in this thread justifies that.

You know if the distribution in Canada is the same for both lines and the distribution rep was the problem, then where does he go from there? That would reflect equally on both lines. So location in this case is a valid question.

David
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-18-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Don't usually post much, but I see the Earmark guy in all the audio forums on all the boating websites. I find it hard to believe that he has nothing better to do than answer every audio related question posted on these forums. It's internet marketing at it simplest form. Kinda like a job to make sure his name is always out there. Who knows? Sounded to me like the OP was looking for alternatives and that's what the others offered.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-19-2013, 2:10 AM Reply   
Alleykat,
For real? A second Portland guy area in Exile's backyard attacking a Wetsounds supporter (totally empty profile but the reference to the Portland boatshow showed up in another post).
"It's internet marketing at it simplest form." Sure it is. Who would argue with that? Isn't that obvious to everyone and also an indictment of a number of people?
The motives to criticize are pretty obvious. I think it's transparent to everyone. Again, I have made no comment on or reference to the Exile product....only positive statements about competing products. That shouldn't be viewed by the Exile group as a threat.

David
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-19-2013, 3:04 AM Reply   
Well I am canadian so what do I know about picking a fight for no reason but I am glad guys like earmark take the time to answer questions and direct people in the path of ear orgasms!

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-19-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Funny that I am the original one that posted about calling Exile. I could not be any further from fing Portland living in sunny Tampa Florida (33618). I could not have been any more objective. The original poster asked for something other than WS because he was having problems with distribution. Anytime someone says with all due respect that just means your stupid and I am getting ready to flame you. Which is why Rob said what he said.

This is classic WakeWorld. As a business owner my self I would never say or conduct business on the net the way you do David. You clearly have an ax to grind with Brian at Exile. Its funny how every thread I see where its a WS thread and someone brings Exile up you slam them for bringing up another company. In fact you were at one time an Exile dealer and I never remember you having anything positive to say about the products. Its WS WS WS all the time. Your a smart guy you know electronics and stereo would be easy just to leave it at that. Instead you come off sounding like Tim's twin brother in disguise. Tim makes a great product and is a nice guy. Your actions to me and of course I am just another DB from the net makes Tims products look bad.

This thread the guy is asking about other companies and you still slam the OP and Exile. Who gives a crap if someone lives in Portland and backs a portland based company. If Exile took care of them then of course they will. Brian should be dominant in that area and not as dominant in Texas! Which is why he is in tight with Tige. Jeeze this is unbelievable I at the age of 42.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-19-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
Why Tim is tight with Tige that is
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-19-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
I would never buy anythging from him at this point. Jeez. I have tp agree with you Tampa. I was considering looking his direction for my new boat. I don't care how knowledgable the guy is, but to come in to a forum and put on a show to potential customers like this is just obsurd.

This is a rough crowd and no wonder I have just been a lurker for so long.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-19-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
Tampa,
So where in this thread did I, or anyone for that matter, write anything negative about an Exile product? The only reference to anything Exile by me was in response to those taking shots at me out of left field. There are a few working very hard at silencing my opinion.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-19-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
Wow. Been out of town at a Trade Show and just getting back into the office so haven't had a chance to post up but I had already gotten Brian Wall the direct contact the day of his post to our rep in his town and everything is taken care of. It's all good.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-19-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
Wow. Been out of town at a Trade Show and just getting back into the office so haven't had a chance to post up but I had already gotten Brian Wall the direct contact the day of his post to our rep in his town and everything is taken care of. It's all good.

Tim
Wet Sounds
BOOM!

signed,
Wetsounds lovin, internet DB from Portland
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-19-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Yep Russ as we said BOOM! Tim a nice guy good products.
Old     (wallsrodcustom)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-19-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thank you guys for some of the insight on the products. Tim got in contact with us and set us up with a distributor. Yes- I agree, the X14 is a tight boat to fit good sound into. We have 3 boats on the go with customers. The X14 is the first, for a decent system. We haven't experimented with wetsounds yet. We have had Exiles stuff. Very happy with it. The guys over at Samsons Wake towers were excellent to deal with on there product and Exiles. So were gonna try out the wetsounds line.
Yes i realize- we are going to have to pony up on the batterys, alternator, wiring and the list goes on. But at least we have a good start on the product. Thank you guys very much for all of your info. Thanks again to Tim for the contacts.