Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Gogreen8)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-25-2019, 12:59 PM Reply   
It's been discussed serval times but thought I'd get a few more opinions. I'm 6'4 205 and 37. Fairly intermediate(W2W 180's grabs for the most part). At this age, the falls are starting to take it's toll and not sure I"ll look to progress any further. With that being said I plan on riding for many years. I just have become infatuated with the bigger boards and was wondering if that sounds like a right fit. I know Murray goes to 150 and Nomad has serval size larger. What's the latest feedback on the bigger boards. FYI, I mostly ride behind the boat. Currently riding on a ARII.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-03-2019, 10:18 AM Reply   
Not to go against imoore but I find that when boards flex or even get softer, the landings become harder. For me, the stiffer the better generally means more pop and softer landings, which I realize is contrary to a lot of the flex party's thoughts. Some riders are even on stiffer layups for this reason. Gogreen, you're a tall dude and should give the Murray 150 a try. I really think you'll like it.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-03-2019, 4:50 PM Reply   
i think the challenge is that we don't know gogreen is really working on...spinning large boards is not so fun, and getting them to ollie not so great...that can be compensated by increasing boat speed a bit...but also think it depends on if - like shaun said if you can try the murray 150... i would like to try one myself...really i would.

but as shaun must know the ability to try before you buy really doesn't exist in many markets. so the problem with this sport is that you pretty much are committing to a purchase...in least where i live...
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-04-2019, 6:22 AM Reply   
Long gone are the days of the boardshop/marinas that would let you demo a board for the afternoon!
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-04-2019, 3:16 PM Reply   
This is the way I see it - would you rather jump down and land on a trampoline with flex that absorbs the landing ( nomad ) or have a stiff landing. My knees are a result of this over the years. Flex is the way to go.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2019, 5:03 AM Reply   
That Murray 150 should be a great fit. I’m not nearly as tall as you but same weight and that’s the board I switched to last year. And that was upsizing for sure, coming from a 143. But I haven’t noticed any difference is spins. I was skeptical of the bigger board, but its just right for me.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2019, 2:40 AM Reply   
GoGreen - I am 6'3 and 300 lbs - Several spins and several inverts still at 50 years old here. I have both boards and rode a ton of boards over my 25 years of wakeboarding. For me (boat only) the nomad is super fun and awesome to do presses. It has very little friction and glides incredibly smoother. I tried if 5-7 times an I just could not get the pop I wanted. I could force my inverts and up to a 360, but coudl never get real air on it. I am sure it is operator error as I have not spent much time on flex boards. If I am out for a mellow session or recrossing from an injury, I hop on this board.

I have road Murray's on/off since they were invented. This latest big boy vision is the best! Very consistent and reliable performance, pop and edging. I can press on it very hard and it responds. Having that extra length helps when I come up a bit short. I have no issues with spinning 540's. Now if I were trying something more, then maybe swing weight might be an issue. On inverts the board lands nice and smooth and I notice my knees not hurting as bad as with the smaller boards after a couple of days.

I hope that helps
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2019, 5:54 AM Reply   
Thanks to all that responded, including none other than @Shaun_Murray hisself...I was lucky enough to watch Shaun ride up close when he was at The Boarding School and his legs are like steel coils springs! No offense, but I just don't think any "normal" human can do what Shaun does!
That said, his observations on the landing of a flex board are very interesting to me. I've been riding a Company recruit as a board in my quiver (continuous flex board) and I've noticed what Shaun refers to, the flex board kind of "stops" on big hits off the wake or landings. I haven't noticed any impact on my knees, but, I'm very anxious to find a better landing board.
Just wanted to get on this thread so I can keep up with it...