Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-08-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hello WW komrades,

I've finally got my surf wave mostly dialed in thanks to SuckGate and this forum. Last week I picked up a 126Obrien Vision for the kids and my 7 year old fell in love. He got up first try, first time and every subsequent try after that. So now my lack of knowledge is in the way. I've built some profiles for wakeboarding and wakeskating in my Mercruiser SmartTow Pro and will adjust accordingly but would like some sciency information regarding wakeboard ballast set ups for my current rig.

I tried to pull my buddy who I used to board with when we were young and he's pretty skilled (no more inverts for him tho) and had this, both 750's full in the rear, ski-locker full (300'ish lbs) and couldnt' plane out. Now for my kids I would never dream of running them with that much weight but I was surpised that I couldn't plane out. I addeda a 200lb fella tot he bow and finally got up to wakeboard speed (22.5, as per his request) the port side was mush but the starboard was a clean wall. Why? I had the kids mostly balanced port-starboard in the boat, moving a 25-60 lb kid from either side had little to no effect.

SO now my question (especially for those who've run the Sanger V210):

Best experience for weight distribution for intermediate riders (me and my nephews) and speed for clean wakes?

Slowest speed for clean wakes with minimal weight ?

Average line length?

As a new-ish driver I'd like to have some base knowledge for setups to reduce messing around while on the water. I do appreciate the feedback this forum provides to all my inanane questions.

Lemonade
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-08-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
sorry for the title, didn't proof read...
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-08-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Someone will come in with your exact boat and maybe give you some advice, but I'll try to give you just general advice.

I'm never really fully on plane in my Malibu 23lsv. It eats more gas, but you don't need to be on plane. If you want to be on plane, just empty out the ballasts in the rear a little at a time until you are (or add a ton more weight up front). If your right side is washed out, either add weight on the right or take away weight on the left. It sounds like your boat has a really good amount of built in weight (atleast compared to the 1350 in my 2007). So if you want to be hassle free just fill up all the stock ballasts and then adjust to the perfect weight by emptying different sides. You don't have to sack out your boat into the water to have a good time and even do advance tricks.

Check this video out if you have any doubt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nogr8GCIL9k

A good rope length is between 60-75ft. If your not an advance rider, 65ft is a very happy medium. As far as speed goes, just remember that the faster you go the worse the pain. At 65ft you can very comfortable ride between 20.5-22mph. Many people try to compensate for lack of form with speed or wake size. This will just hold you back in the long run. Keep in mind that with correct form you can clear the wakes at 18mph on even wide boats. Clearing the wakes by going super fast will just result in a no pop jump with a much higher risk of injury. IT would be better to shorten the line VS going much faster.

BTW many people will disagree with the philosophy of going on the slower side with standard size wakes. But then you gotta ask yourself why so many people have so many injuries..... Sure it can happen to anyone on any setup, but I'm willing to bet the guys going faster on sacked out boats are taking much worse falls and have many more injuries.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-08-2016, 2:35 PM Reply   
thats a lot of weight in back and little to none from midship to bow. couple things you can do. reprop if you want that lippy buck your ass to the moon pop. or (what I would do) balance your front to back weight for more transition.

the mushy wake on one side is a weird, especially since you moved some weight around and it didn't improve or respond. was it washed out or just felt mushy?
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-08-2016, 2:41 PM Reply   
Was washed out, I'm starting to think one of the rear bags had more weight. This is the first season with the 750's and we are usuall;y 30 % tubing, 70% surfing. My littlest's interest in wakeboarding is sending me back to the drawing board and I've decided I'll start trying some wake to wake and back roll progressions again. I've never landed an invert, but am game to experiment. Slow speed is what I'm all about timelinex, it's why I dig surfing so much. My other nephews have taken a liking to the wakeskate as well so I think for our crew it'll be good to have all the sports more or less dialed in. Really didnt' think we'd be doing this much wakeboarding. Keep the info coming, I likes to learn.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-08-2016, 2:56 PM Reply   
something's up, you shouldn't have any problem getting the wakes balanced. add more weight to the washy side, or drain from the clean one.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-08-2016, 3:02 PM Reply   
Just weight it like Walt's back in the day!

Scroll down in this post!

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797390
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-08-2016, 9:52 PM Reply   
That's sacked. I've seen that post but never zoomed in...
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2016, 6:43 PM Reply   
The V210 likes plenty of weight up front. Sounds like you're running to much in back and not enough up front. If you're running to much in back that might explain why it's washed out and why it won't plain out. I'm not sure what prop you are running but I'm running the Acme 911 and it plains out fine with 3000+ pounds of ballast plus three people.

Remember the more weight you add the faster you will have to go to keep the wake clean.

When we short line it think I'm only running 1500 pounds and 850 of that is up front.

Drop me a line if you need some help.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-10-2016, 8:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Walt. I'll play around with weights next time we're out. For beginners have you found the slowest speed with a clean wake? I'm currently pulling my little guy around 15 mph (only been up 3 times) I'm guessing 18-19 will be slowest with little to no weight but really haven't tried many different setups.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-10-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
I'd pull the little guys with no weight. 15-17 should be doable.