Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-27-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
And I want a new boat! I have a 2008 Supra 21V that just won't lay over enough for me to get a
Great wake...

I've fallen in love with a Nautique G23 at the local dealer, but I don't want to buy it just to regret it. What other boats in that price range should I consider. I ride goofy, but others in my family do not. And a key for me is to not add any additional bags. It's a pain in my rear in this supra, and I don't want to do it anymore...

So what I'm asking for is which boat offer the best stock surf wake that is easily movable from goofy to regular...

TIA
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
Of course the Malibu with Surfgate will produce a nice wave on either side without much if any weight adjustment. Others will argue that a listed boat makes the better surf wave... those tend to be the people that have no option than to list their boat.

The G23 will throw an insane wave on both sides. I rode behind one the other day. The selling point of the NSS system is that it allows the wave shape to be tweaked incrementally through settings 0-5.

Test drive a few or a bunch. Actually, don't just test drive, test surf them all. Some waves look great and aren't that great, others look small and short but are amazing once you're behind the boat.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-27-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
Are you opposed to upgrading factory bags? I loved surfing a surf gated Malibu vlx, but it bad upgraded bags.

And even the g25 I rode had a 750 in the bow walkway...

What about a centurion enzo?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-27-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
AXIS A24 with Surfgates and plum in some extra, you might be at 70K instead of 125K

Last edited by slipknot; 05-27-2014 at 1:05 PM. Reason: fun
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
For me personally it would be a whole lot easier to lose weight than make the $125k needed to buy a G23
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-27-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
Well, it's a sweet deal on the G23 (read: not $125k) more like $105...

Saving some $ would be fine, but not necessary.

So people seem to think Malibu options with their surf gate (or whatever it's called) is a good option.
The g23 does have the NSS system. Are reviews out on that? Is it just as effective? Which manufacturers surf system is best???
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-27-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'm not opposed to upgrading bags, just don't like adding bags to stock...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-27-2014, 3:33 PM Reply   
Love the Surf Gate on our Malibu 23 LSV. We added two 750 lb Plug N Play bags to the rear (thanks WakeMakers.com), so it's connected to the stock system and still work with the switches on the dash (MLS touchscreen). Super convenient and an amazing wake that you can switch back and forth. I also love the horn and lights that tell you when to make your move on the transfer.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-27-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
I've surfed a G23 and G25. Both just had the max option'd ballast (G25 with 750 in walkway), and was a great wave. I have no complaints there as it allowed me to do all my tricks just fine... like tossing the rope.

I've surfed the new 23LSVs with Surf Gate and that's been my favorite wave yet. MLS ballast full, 750s in the rear, and a 800 in the bow. Speed from 11.5-12.3. Endless fun.

I've got a few videos on YouTube and Instagram, feel free to check them out. As always, best way to find out is to Demo 'em and find out for yourself.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-28-2014, 3:47 AM Reply   
Do your self a favor and actually surf these "Stock" wakes! Not sure of your budget, but a 2012-13 Enzo 233,244 with all plumbed factory ballast will make you an amazing wake! However, takes about 10 minutes for the system to switch.
Get a 2014 with Cats & Ram fill with a PnP bags in the rear and you can switch sides in less than a minute, plus get incredible fuel results because you are not weighting the entire boat. Just something to consider when looking at "Surf Systems" how much weight running to be able to make the wake and switch side instantly.

But defiantly surf these boats first hand!!
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Like Malibu's Surfgate, the NSS allows you to switch sides within a second or two instead of minutes or more.

The biggest difference between Surfgate and NSS is that with Surfgate you are either out or in. The NSS has incremental settings which help to shape the wave from mellow to steep and it does it very well.

Again, test drive and test ride. Visual will not do the waves justice.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-29-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
If you want pro size wakes, you are going to have to add ballast and you will have to list the boat.

Everyone's definition of a good wake is different. My definition of a good wake is something that is very long, good height, very long lip (from curl to roost), good transition near roost but not to relaxed. Very difficult to get all this in one wake.

Most are so fixed on the NSS or Sufgate to think it makes a longer wake or a bigger wake but that is not what it does. By listing these same boats you can make a bigger and longer wake that is much cleaner. It really does not take that much list either. If you rely on the SG or NSS alone the lip will be very relaxed or layed over and likely not very clean. If you list the boat, the lip becomes more crisp and cleaner. Surf systems are really good for novices and teaching for the ease of switching very quickly. But if you want the gnarliest wake your boat can throw, list it over. Now the Gen2 and swell system can make a wake longer as you are adding length to the hull.

I list my boat to about 8*. Run 11 mph on average.

I run the VX which is the only surf contraption out there that is designed to make the wake larger, longer and harder compared to a stock hull. People will get offended by this but it is simple physics. It elongates the hull making your boat 2 feet longer so it runs like a bigger boat, it channels prop wash into the wake adding firmness and then the angle increases the coanda affect of the hull pulling the boat further into the water and there for displacing more water for increased sized with out drag hardware. No other system does all this.

Not saying to run out and buy a Tige. Tige works for me but not everyone. What I am saying is that if you want the best wake a boat can throw to carry you around, you will need some girth and the NSS and SG are not going to help. Ballast will. In fact you can run less weight, burn less fuel in a listed boat and make a bigger wake. Sounds like a Win Win Win to me.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-29-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
Even with a great surf boat out of the box, you are going to want to upgrade the ballast. I recently got to ride 3 different surf systems.
One of them (Moomba Mondo w/flow) was stock with the exception of a bow sack and did not put out a great wave.
Another (VLX w/surf gate) had upgraded sacks everywhere, but all ballast was still hidden. This put out a fantastic huge wake that was able to switch side to side instantly.
Lastly (G25 w/NSS) had upgraded sacks and had a 750 in the walk way. This was a great wave, not as big as the Malibu, but a little more refined.

No matter what, to get a GREAT wave, you are going to want to at least do some plug and play upgrades and get bigger sacks or piggyback sacks.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
He Rides Goofy - Malibu all the way.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-30-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
If you're going to do anything other than surfing.. consider that as well.

The G23 WILL have the best wakeboard wake you hit.. hands down. If you're going to cruise around and hang out.. it's big, comfy and handles rough water with EASE (no flat-hull slapping).

Get the G.. you won't regret it.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
There is a reason that the G23 is creating the big buzz in the industry.

Another vote for the G23! The surf wave when set up properly is insane!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-30-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
All of the above mentioned boats will work. Just choose the one you like the best. After all your the one who will be paying for it.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-30-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
get the g23. i want one