Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-13-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
I'm really trying to ride away from a HS3 but only problem is I don't have the handle. When I start my rotation I pretty much throw the handle out of my hands (I think because I"m focusing on the rotation so much) but then land fine but don't have that handle.

Again, I got the rotation down but the handle (or lack of) prevents me from riding away. How can I become more handle conscious? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-15-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Force the handle pass, don't concentrate on anything but getting the handle. If you do this and get the handle the rotation will happen on its own.

If it just wont work for you, you could try a wrapped 3. Then you will already have the handle in the correct hand.

Good luck!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
slow the boat down to 15 mph ride squatted on your toeside of the wake if lff passenger side if rff drivers side. as you push up with your legs on flat even weighted board pull handle with both arms to your back hip this will start your rotation. take your lead arm and rotate it to middle of back while taking rear arm to middle of your back.turn your head and lead shoulder in direction of rotation. your hands should meet in the middle of your lower back.grab the handle with what was your lead hand and rotate it low and back across your waist then grab with what was your original back hand. once you have mastered the handle pass on surface 360 go to 1 wake 360. the key to keeping line tension low is to come in squatted with little edge and even weighted on legs.remember the way you take off is how you will land. so consentrate on straight up pop with all legs and little edge. this will keep line tension low so handle pass is easy. my biggest hurdle was getting that through my thick skull.low line tension equals easy handle pass. i now do 360 on stock wake at 70' and 21 mph. you don't need alot of speed or edge it's all leg pop and wait till you get your height and pull handle with both arms and spin away. good luck
Old     (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-27-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
I struggled trying to teach myself a heelside 3 for a longg time and never got it until I had some coaching from a demo/clinic day. The main things I really focus on while doing this trick is not rushing it by starting the rotation to early, making a conscious effort to pull the handle really hard to my hip with both hands, and standing nice and tall. Fight the urge/tendency a lot of people have to start spinning the trick off the wake, you need to wait until you are in the air to start your rotation and that rotation is initiated by a good strong pull to your hip with both hands. Standing tall will help you spin faster and its much easier to get the rope to your other hand when your upright too. Hope this helps!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
This might not be terribly helpful, but I've been struggling with the FS HS3 handle pass as well. I had them one wake, then had them w2w with a short rope, then stopped trying them for a while working on other stuff and then when I tried them again, they were gone. It's the same thing the OP discribed -- spin is fine, no handle. I read all the documentation on the trick, learned how to ease off my edge at the wake for a more ollie style pop to reduce line tension, that helped, but still was missing it. Then last week, after landing on my ass for the Nth time, got angry and said to myself that I'll try it again and this time I will effin get this handle if it effin kills me. Got the handle. Tried the same thing last time out. Made the mental commitment and made two out of two -- not pretty (felt rushed and small) -- but I was stocked to just get it.

I think what happens is that when I make the mental commitment, I yank harder on the handle. Seems to be working for me to solve the missing handle problem. If your spin and balance over board is good, it might just work as well. I remember I had the same problem with TS FS3. Now that I think about it, the solution was the same -- once you complete all the prerequisites, 100% commitment is the only thing left to do.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Checklist I always run through on 3's:

1) Handle in close on the cut in.
2) Easier cut with more of an "ollie" pop off the top to relieve line tension
3)Two hands on the handle as I shift it from my lead hip to the trailing hip (initial 180)
4) When it comes to getting the handle to the small of my back, I think of it as an arm curl. The handle is a dumbbell and I curl it against my my back with my right arm (assuming regular stance on a fs3) where I can snag it with the other hand.

If you concentrate on keeping that handle within 6 inches of your waistline the whole time, the handle will be there for sure :-) STOMP THAT SUCKER!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       01-12-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
Ben nailed it.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-18-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
the thing im no getting is how you get the less line tension?

so not progressive edge?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-20-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Shane,

Maintaining your edge all the way through the wake is important, but taking more relaxed cut into the wake will reduce the amount of line tension you have pulling you. Compare a jump into the flats with an up and down wake to wake jump. MAJOR difference in line tension. When you watch most Pro's ride, you can tell when a spin is coming because they take a far less aggressive cut towards the wake, and tend to pop with more of an 'ollie' than edgy cut.

Take Shaun Murray in this video for example. Murray's Krypt here at 1:13 has massive line tension, as you would expect. At 1:26, he attempts a spin, notice his cut. It's much shorter and far more relaxed, less line tension.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2011, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Shane,

Maintaining your edge all the way through the wake is important, but taking more relaxed cut into the wake will reduce the amount of line tension you have pulling you. Compare a jump into the flats with an up and down wake to wake jump. MAJOR difference in line tension. When you watch most Pro's ride, you can tell when a spin is coming because they take a far less aggressive cut towards the wake, and tend to pop with more of an 'ollie' than edgy cut.

Take Shaun Murray in this video for example. Murray's Krypt here at 1:13 has massive line tension, as you would expect. At 1:26, he attempts a spin, notice his cut. It's much shorter and far more relaxed, less line tension.
Best advice ive ever had.... rode out 2 on the week end.

yeeew cheers buddy.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-25-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Yeeeahhh buddy! That's awesome man. Glad to hear it helped!! Get some footage of it!
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-28-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
I landed my first HS3 at the end of this summer. I ride regular, what made it easier for me was edging TS outside the wake and practicing surface 3's after 2 S3's I tried a 1 wake 3 and got it. Hopefully I can get it down this year.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2011, 4:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great tips. I haven' t started wakeboarding again yet, but soon. I was too going to work on surface 3's and get the feeling of moving that handle close to butt and completing that handle pass and then work my way up to wake 3's.

I'll let you know when I nail one!
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
Follow the exercise in this vid, and you'll stick it:

http://www.learnwake.com/samples/vie....php?id=11&q=h
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Audrey,

Good luck!! The river is finally thawed here in Wisconsin... air and water temps are still in the 30's but, the season's starting here soon!!! Drysuits and coolers with hot water! haha Let me know when you put that sucker down!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'm about to go back to wakeboarding and this 3 is on my mind Sinko...........thanks for the vid!
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-29-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
man this is a good thread because im doing the same thing i always lose the handle. cant wait to ride this week.
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-29-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
If you have the time this summer! You guys should come spend a week out at West Coast Camps! We have a full proof foundation system as well as spin and flip system. So you're sure to come away with some new tricks!!!!!! My explanation for the HS 3 is way to long to put on here but if you come to camp you'll know what I mean. Checkout westcoastcamps.com for more info!
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-30-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
man if i could afford it i would just bought a house
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
getting better with holding onto handle...... just water time now
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
been practicing that handle pass on my trampoline all spring... ive landed a few 3s before, but i also have the problem with the handle getting away from me. i usually only land it if i say out loud to myself as im doing the jump, "handle pass"
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
I am continuing to practice handle passes on trampoline and I think that really helps. I have landed two HS3 w2w with full handle pass. I just think about keeping that handle low at small of back when passing.