Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-07-2019, 8:00 AM Reply   
I am a wakeboarder, currently in an 08 x star. I test rode a 19 xstar (full ballast) and was disappointed with the shape of the new wake. It was the largest wake I'd ever seen but it had no lip to it. Yesterday out of curiosity I rode behind a 19 x24 (full ballast) and was impressed. It felt just like my 08 except way bigger. This outcome surprised me so much I thought I would share. Curious if anybody else had had the same experience or if missed something.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2019, 8:23 AM Reply   
Harley Clifford just picked up his new boat and he got the X24 instead of the Xstar. So I don't think your far off.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-07-2019, 9:11 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old     (Fbeltrao)      Join Date: Sep 2017       06-07-2019, 1:29 PM Reply   
Interesting. To the new xstar I had the same impression even with additional ballast. I had one for couple of months but then moved to the g23. To wakeboard I think the G and the mxz 24 are the top ones
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-07-2019, 10:54 PM Reply   
The Star builds the lip up with more weight in the back than the stock profiles are set at. I had definitely noticed it was big, but mild, when I got my XStar last year. I set a new profile with more weight in the rear, and got a very nice lip, on a very forgiving wake.

I went with an X24 this year, and for what it is worth...... I ordered my 2020 already, and I went back to the XStar.

Both boats are awesome performers, but I prefer the wave and the wake on the XStar.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       06-08-2019, 1:56 AM Reply   
Definitely don't sleep on the X22 if you prefer a wake with more lip on it. IMO the X22 has a much better wake right out of the box than the XStar, roughly the same size boat, and it's clean enough that you could add even more weight and get it huge. The X24 shape is awesome as well, just scares me to think that if you added additional weight or a lot of people in that boat the wake might collapse. I've never seen it get to that point, but it's definitely way more finicky than X22 or Star.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-08-2019, 10:26 AM Reply   
We've demo'd both the 2019 XStar and X22, and I have to agree that we enjoyed the X22 more! We rode the X22 after the XStar and didn't have high expectation (mainly for the rear loungers and to see if the wake was close), and the X22 was every bit as big and definitely had more lip to it.We rode both at the the XStar ballast settings... stock rear setting on the XStar is 75% and 65% on the X22.

We're probably going to demo the X24 to try the entire series, but the X22 is our front runner.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-17-2019, 1:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Harley Clifford just picked up his new boat and he got the X24 instead of the Xstar. So I don't think your far off.
Asked Harley about that yesterday. His Star is being built. The 24 was a temporary thing.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2019, 4:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
Asked Harley about that yesterday. His Star is being built. The 24 was a temporary thing.
I'm the one that talked about Harley above. I too heard from my buddy that sells MasterCraft this weekend, that the X24 was a temporary fill in.

On another note I wakeboarded behind a 2019 Xstar this weekend!!!

While it was a very nice boat and very nice wake. There are much better wakes for much cheaper. I was big but just didn't have the lip to give you that kick at the top.

I still like the G23 or the Supra SL alot better. The SL might even be better than a G23 wake. That's hard for me to say because for so long I wanted a used G23 but my buddy has a SL now and it has made me a believer. I am officially in love with the Supra SL.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-17-2019, 3:24 PM Reply   
I agree. With more time I'd likely enjoy the new star wake much more. But after a few sets I didn't think it was for me. I couldn't find any vertical boot. Haven't ridden a SL. My favorite currently is the 24 mxz. Loved that.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-20-2019, 1:10 PM Reply   
If your focus is mainly wakeboarding, I'd go with the X-Star. It can take people a few sets to get used to it because it's so long, and since most other wakes are way steeper in comparison, but it is the most user friendly wake on the market right now, regardless of skill level. More than likely you need to adjust your speed a bit. Everyone is running quite a bit slower on it than any other boat. And, I know it seems counterintuitive, but adding a little weight in the nose will make it peak a little more if that's what you are looking for.

And, yes, Harley was just borrowing that boat until his new X-Star was done. But, all that being said they X24 is a great boat. It would definitely be my second choice.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-20-2019, 10:51 PM Reply   
^ This.

The transition is so long, it’s not a matter of the wake having less pop, it’s the timing. You get used to it after a couple pulls.

Once you have the wake timing, that long transition is nothing but added benefits. Easiest wake to clean up, landing zone is twice as wide. If youre an old guy, the approach is much less likely to cave your knees as you hit the ramp.

The wake on my X24 is awesome as well, but after getting used to the XStar wake, I prefer it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-20-2019, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I'm the one that talked about Harley above. I too heard from my buddy that sells MasterCraft this weekend, that the X24 was a temporary fill in.

On another note I wakeboarded behind a 2019 Xstar this weekend!!!

While it was a very nice boat and very nice wake. There are much better wakes for much cheaper. I was big but just didn't have the lip to give you that kick at the top.

I still like the G23 or the Supra SL alot better. The SL might even be better than a G23 wake. That's hard for me to say because for so long I wanted a used G23 but my buddy has a SL now and it has made me a believer. I am officially in love with the Supra SL.
DO you remember your settings on the SL. Any added weight on top of stock?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2019, 1:52 PM Reply   
No I don’t remember the settings on the SL but I believe it had 800 pounds of lead. I’m not sure where and it had 8 people in the boat. It was really big and nice. But the best part for me was you don’t have to go faster than 23 for that size of a wake.