Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of taking some time in between jobs and spend a month wakeboarding in the US (I currently reside in Ireland).
I'm likely to be travelling alone, male, early thirties.
I was thinking of spend my time at various cables around Florida / Texas (maybe just one if I can find some nice accommodation) .
BSR in Texas looks fun.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me any suggestions.
Thank you
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
The problem with that plan is you would have to spend your month off in Waco. There is a nice cable park in Allen, TX and one getting ready to open in Little Elm, TX, both are suburbs of Dallas so you would have Dallas to entertain you while not boarding. You also have access to a bunch of lakes in North/East TExas from Dallas and should have no problem finding pulls when you want to.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
Thank you for the advice.

Would you recommend renting a car?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-13-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
single male early 30s? Maybe SE Asia would be a better vacation. I keep seeing articles on here about the parks. They have some awesome parks. Ill bet it would stretch your $ further as well.

There are what, 5 parks in Florida if you count Grassy Key.? OWC and McCormicks, in Orlando / Tampa. Revolution in Fort Myers, Rixen in Miami and the one in the Keys.
If you are set on coming here I suggest this::::

Maybe a trip to O town, spend a week at the boarding school, meet some new friends, get some boat hook ups, grow some skils, ride OWC and McCormicks, You wont need transport for the first 8 days or more.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
I'm not single
My girlfriend just can't get the time off, neither can any of my mates.
Asia was my first thought but October is rainy season there.
I've considered a trip to the UK or Germany but they'll be too cold and I've been there before, I fancy some thing new.
As for prices.....anywhere is cheaper than here, gas is $8 per galllon. And we only have one cable, a system 2.0.
What could I expect the weather in Florida / Texas to be like.
Thank you Baitkiller, a week around OWC / McCormicks might be a plan.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-13-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
The weather in October will be epic. Its the end of hurricane season so its hot as balls, muggy, rains in the PM then clears up for sunset butter runs. It may also rain for days. I dunno.
The more I think about it. A week at the school followed by cable and bummed boat rides would be pretty damn good trip..
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-13-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
nvm i see october now... both states will be fine texas colder than florida
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2013, 12:54 AM Reply   
Yes..... it would have been wise to add the October part to my initial post.......
What could I expect the temps to be in October?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Would you drive or fly from Orlando to Dallas?

Last edited by Kane; 06-14-2013 at 1:04 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-14-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Yes..... it would have been wise to add the October part to my initial post.......
What could I expect the temps to be in October?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Would you drive or fly from Orlando to Dallas?
How much of 'Murica you want to see? That's a long friggin drive, but if you have the days to burn it could be a bit of an adventure in itself.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-14-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
That is a 12-13 hour drive to Dallas. It is maybe a 2 hour direct flight. My number may be a little liberal.

There are plenty of people on here that wouldn't mind giving you a pull behind a boat also.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I've spent a lot of time driving a Nautique SAN 220, Nautique 196 and a Mastercraft 197, way more than I've actually ridden behind one. So if I were to get a ride I'd be happy to drive, along with pay for gas and help clean and dock the boat.
I'll post in the find a ride section in October.
Thanks again
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
How much of 'Murica you want to see? That's a long friggin drive, but if you have the days to burn it could be a bit of an adventure in itself.
That's what I'm thinking I've never been to this part of the US before so I think maybe some tourist adventures might be fun.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
Make sure you look into the boarding school..

http://www.theboardingschool.com/
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-15-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
Plus a million to the boarding school.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-15-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
I am doing a similar trip in late August/early September. I'm flying into Orlando for a few days then driving across to texas before heading back to Georgia. I have about 3 weeks to cover that distance and will stop a few places along the way and am trying to catch up with crew along the way for boat rides and will also visit a few cable parks.
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-17-2013, 1:21 PM Reply   
Let us know if you decide to hit up McCormicks! Would like to meet ya, maybe we can help with showing you around town!

Oh and you'll have zero or minimal rain here in Oct, water will still be warm and in the 80s.

We have a few from Ireland who ride/train here for a month or two at a time.