Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-05-2018, 8:55 AM Reply   
Been thinking about upgrading boats, and most of them come with seadek flooring these days. I've never been around boats with it was the interior flooring, but every boat I see at a boat show with it has stains (or inconsistent coloring) throughout the flooring. It seems even when seadek, or at least the lighter colors of it, dries it doesn't dry evenly leaving the perception that it is stained?

I love the idea and ease of maintenance of it over carpet but don't want it to look like crap after one outing.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-05-2018, 10:10 AM Reply   
We have gator step in our boat and came from carpet in our last I will never go back to carpet. We have a few dirty spots on it but its nothing some dish soap and soft scrub brush won't take care of. You can't see them when it is wet anyways and it feels much better than carpet and doesn't retain as much water as carpet leading to mildew.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-05-2018, 1:23 PM Reply   
Another option to look into would be Deckadence Flooring. Way more plush than carpet and Seadek, doesn't require any snaps, and can be easily removed to hose out the flooring and inside of your boat.

I will never own a boat without it. Seadek material is very nice, but it can be a pain to clean at times and will hold water on the days that you are storing your boat. To me, being able to pull out the deckadence flooring and hose out the inside of your boat is critical. When I store my boat during the week, I remove all potential sources of moisture so I wont have any mildew under the cover.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-05-2018, 1:24 PM Reply   
Here is the deckadence flooring in my boat. Comes out in two sections and it doesn't slide on the floor when under way.

Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2018, 1:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
Been thinking about upgrading boats, and most of them come with seadek flooring these days. I've never been around boats with it was the interior flooring, but every boat I see at a boat show with it has stains (or inconsistent coloring) throughout the flooring. It seems even when seadek, or at least the lighter colors of it, dries it doesn't dry evenly leaving the perception that it is stained?

I love the idea and ease of maintenance of it over carpet but don't want it to look like crap after one outing.

Just finished my first winter project...putting Seadek into our ‘01 SAN. Haven’t put it to use yet, but it feels way better than carpet.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-05-2018, 3:52 PM Reply   
I do like the overall look and feel, but I'm just worried about the staining. Demo boats at our dealership that have only been out a few times are stained. I'm also curious how long it will hold before you have to replace it if the boat is kept indoors.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-05-2018, 5:40 PM Reply   
Personally I just can’t stand the carpet.. just can’t believe Malibu still does it (the only brand still offering carpet) but happily for 2018 they offer a seadeck (or gator samething) as an option.

Carpet hold humidity, take eternity to dry. Almost always smell, when you put the cover on and return after a week it smell humidity, when stored for the winter even more. You have to dry it carefully. It’s just a pain in the *ss..
And the feeling of watered carpet on your feet haha just don’t like it.

The new MasterCraft material looks cool, the big pos is it’s removable so it can be dry, washed and stored easily.
But it feels like carpet too haha..

I just love the feeling of seadeck, it’s clean and dry in a minute. It’s sure you messed up a lot and not taking good care of your thing it gonna stain with wine drop or wathever..
Made 4years with a gray seadeck and had no problems, like you said sometimes few spots remained non dry when more water but it dry just more slowly than other pieces.
Now my 2017 have moka seadeck and no trouble either. It stick and you just have to wash it with soap and hose. When stained I just take a carpet brush. Rince And wait 30minutes and everything top notch

Last edited by Mike88; 03-05-2018 at 5:41 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old    Raffit78            03-05-2018, 10:55 PM Reply   
Love my snap in carpet in my Malibu, I remove it, soap it, clean it and put it back like new. I also enjoy that smell it leaves. Reminds me of a boat.

I have seadek on my swimstep and walkthrough and I can’t stand it. Glue comes off once a season, leaving all the edges to lift up, there’s scuff marks all over it, wish there was a way I can change it to something better.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-06-2018, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Here is the deckadence flooring in my boat. Comes out in two sections and it doesn't slide on the floor when under way.

I assume you had to cut the material to fit? If so how difficult is it to work?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-06-2018, 10:20 AM Reply   
How has no one found a cheap knock off of this product. Its nothing special for the price tag of a simple roll
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2018, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I assume you had to cut the material to fit? If so how difficult is it to work?
I did not have to cut as it came with the boat when I ordered it. There are many on the MC forum that have gotten this material from Jims Marine Flooring and done a DIY project with nice results.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2018, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I did not have to cut as it came with the boat when I ordered it. There are many on the MC forum that have gotten this material from Jims Marine Flooring and done a DIY project with nice results.
While I like the look of Seadek I see the benefit of Deckadence and ordered a sample. I think it will give me better long term wear.

I am curious, my boat hangs in a covered, shaded, Florida humid lift. Sometimes mold seems to attach places you would not anticipate including gelcoat. Has anyone ever had any surface mold issues with Seadek that could not be hosed away?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-07-2018, 4:07 PM Reply   
I like the look of SeaDeck...cant stand carpet anywhere in a boat (its under my seats and lockers....and gotta blow a fan overnight when I use boat to make sure all the dampness is gone so it wont smell). But I have Deckadence and it rocks and it would be my preference in any boat I had. Easy to remove and clean, keeps things dry that fall on it like towels, since water goes right to bottom right away, etc. Its a little hard on the knees, but that is the only downside IMO
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-07-2018, 11:33 PM Reply   
I like the look and feel of gaterstep a lot better than sea deck but that’s just me.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-08-2018, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
While I like the look of Seadek I see the benefit of Deckadence and ordered a sample. I think it will give me better long term wear.

I am curious, my boat hangs in a covered, shaded, Florida humid lift. Sometimes mold seems to attach places you would not anticipate including gelcoat. Has anyone ever had any surface mold issues with Seadek that could not be hosed away?

That's the beauty of deckadence flooring. You can easily remove it and hang it somewhere to dry and not let it sit in your boat.

I'm in humid Louisiana and I haven't had any issues with mold on this stuff. I will pull it out over night if we were in the boat all day to allow the boat and flooring to dry. Then the next morning everything is dry and the deckadence is back in the boat in a few seconds.

I put a rope across two pilings in my lift that I drape the deckadence on to let it dry. Due to the material type, it drains so quick if it hasn't already drain while underway.

Look forward to seeing your boat done with this material. I think you will like it.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       03-08-2018, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_t View Post
Just finished my first winter project...putting Seadek into our ‘01 SAN. Haven’t put it to use yet, but it feels way better than carpet.
I have the same color Seadek in my Supra SE. I don't think I'd do it again. Supposed to be super light gray or white, but it looks dull dark gray unless you clean the crap out of it. Almost impossible to keep clean, even with no shoes allowed on boat. Unless you make everyone wash their feet before they get in, the floor is getting foot prints. At least that's my experience. I'd prefer something easier to clean.
Attached Images

Last edited by JCleary; 03-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.