Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-21-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
Bought a second hand 14' trampoline to do some training on. Just wondered should I train with a board or without. I was thinking of taking the fins off my Paradigm and going at it. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-21-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Don't use a real wakeboard. It's dangerous. Use a tramp board. That's what they're for, and they're actually very helpful.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2013, 1:43 AM Reply   
Tramp board or no board..... Also using a skate deck to do skate tricks can be fun.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2013, 2:44 AM Reply   
Do not use a real wakeboard. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY GET HURT. Use a VODA TRAMP BOARD. They are not too expensive and they are designed for the olympic tramps. Have fun with your new tramp.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
Also, while we're on the subject of tramp safety, GET A NET.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-22-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
If I can use a skate deck why not a board? other than the size difference. I should clarify and say I only want to use the board to work on grabs, not rotations, and flips.
Old     (SouthCack)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-22-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
you won't get much pop with a wakeboard on your feet, and if you fall off.. youre more than likely going to get hurt
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
It's all about tying your feet together to simulate a wakeboard. Don't use a real one. Get a chunk of 2" thick styrofoam. Cut two round holes thru it, boot width apart. Slip your feet through and jump. You'll maintain the control you need on the tramp while still isolating your feet.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
The trampoline isn't going to help you with grabs. You don't have the line tension like you do behind the boat. In all actuality, the trampoline is only beneficial for your air awareness ie: inverts and spins, meaning being comfortable being in the air upside down and or backwards with the handle behind you.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
The trampoline isn't going to help you with grabs. You don't have the line tension like you do behind the boat. In all actuality, the trampoline is only beneficial for your air awareness ie: inverts and spins, meaning being comfortable being in the air upside down and or backwards with the handle behind you.
Absolutely. You might as well not even bother with your grabs, OP. And as for why you shouldn't use a wakeboard, it's hard, sharp, and heavy. If you fall weird and hit your face, your nuts, or wrist, etc. you're going to get hurt. It's also really difficult to do good mobes on the trampoline with something as big and heavy as a wakeboard on.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-22-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Don't use a real wake board. You can't get that much pop and it's dangerous. I learned the hard way when I was younger. I was jumping with my wake board on, and in mid jump the tip of the board cut the mat and I went straight through to the ground.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-23-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
good points by all. Although I think a Paradigm is so blunt it couldn't cut anything.... maybe butter. Buttery water that is. lol. as for the grabs I read a suggestion somewhere that said to use a bungee rope to simulate the pull from the boat. Anyone try this?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-23-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
good points by all. Although I think a Paradigm is so blunt it couldn't cut anything.... maybe butter. Buttery water that is. lol. as for the grabs I read a suggestion somewhere that said to use a bungee rope to simulate the pull from the boat. Anyone try this?
Be sure to take video of you jumping with the bungee rope. And post it up after your first attempt

Dont use a board...if anything use a trampboard. Ive seen them for like $25 or make your own.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-24-2013, 3:16 AM Reply   
dont use a bungee rope. Tie off a regular wakeboard rope and handle but put a trampoline spring in between two sections of the mainline. This will imitate the line tension more accurately. Also, make sure you tie a small piece of rope to each end of where your spring is connected. This way, if the spring breaks midair, the rope will only adjust 6 inches or so and you wont go flying off of your tramp
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-24-2013, 3:17 AM Reply   
Also, use a high quality eurotramp spring. not the ones from walmart or academy sports. Let me know if you have any questions
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-24-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
If your tramp doesnt have a net, you should definity think about getting one because there has been plenty of times when i got that crazy bounce, and bounced be straight into the net.
i have used a wakeboard on the trampoline before just make sure there isnt anything on the bottom that going to rip it. Also i only stick to trantrums and ts front/back rolls because the sharp edges on the tip and tail. I have also done spins up to 540, those are easier that flips. I have taped foam on the tip/tail and tried to do a back roll, dont recommend it at all. But just doing the basic spins,front, and back flips with the extra weight is that much closer to the real thing, then start trying to grab them.
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-24-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have an old wooden skate that i mounted boots too and it works great! There are no sharp edge to worry about.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-24-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiblier123 View Post
dont use a bungee rope. Tie off a regular wakeboard rope and handle but put a trampoline spring in between two sections of the mainline. This will imitate the line tension more accurately. Also, make sure you tie a small piece of rope to each end of where your spring is connected. This way, if the spring breaks midair, the rope will only adjust 6 inches or so and you wont go flying off of your tramp
That's a good idea.
Old     (c5dagand)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-24-2013, 3:50 PM Reply   
I bought a VODA tramp wakeboard that is made for the trampoline this year. It is very helpful and help you with many tricks during the off season. Also We attached a rope to the tree with a handle to simulate the tension from the boat. If you have a trampoline I would recommend to get that board.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-25-2013, 3:15 PM Reply   
As for grabs, I totally disagree with those saying you are wasting your time. I learned all my grabs on the tramp as it gives you muscle memory, spatial awareness and for an older rider (started at 25, now 34) it helps with flexibility. Try grabbing a 3 or a crow on the tramp as opposed to doing it without and you'll notice the difference.

We made our own board. Go to your local foam and rubber store, get a dense 1" stiff foam sheet and cut your own out. Araldite/ glue a pair of cheap skate shoes on and you've got a deck that IMO is better than anything you'd pay hundreds of dollars for, ours lasted years despite being left in the weather numerous times.

Last edited by razorjaw; 01-25-2013 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Changed thick for dense