Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-23-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
do you have any issue with it coming off the board and onto your seats/carpet? if so, how are you mitigating this?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-23-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
Board sock or board bag.. Board bag with a reflective/tarp side will help by keeping the board/wax cooler and offer protection from dings and scratches.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-23-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Keep a pair of socks in the boat for after your set. Sit on the platform and throw socks on while you're still not in the boat and you'll be free to move about without worrying.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-23-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
It doesn't melt off unless you have it facing up in direct sunlight and its around 100 F.

Everyone in our group rides wax and its the Beast ! :P
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-23-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
Its a mess and high maintenance. we have a loaner board that we love but with no traction and owner has wax on top so we keep in board sock otherwise the wax gets everywhere on seats, back deck, storage etc. Its personal preference too. We loaned a board to a buddy that used wax on the traction and we cannot get it out so open to input on how to get the wax off.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       09-23-2014, 4:17 PM Reply   
baby oil or vegetable oil will dissolve the wax and get it off you upholstery
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-23-2014, 5:35 PM Reply   
I haven't had any trouble with wax on my boat seats. It depends on what type you use. I use Agenda and Sex Wax for ocean boards. Our bimini has surf pockets built in it. I put the board in the surf pocket when I finish riding. Here is Chris Wolter on my Day 1 long board with wax.
Attached Images

Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-24-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
thx Trev
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-24-2014, 7:49 AM Reply   
I use a the "wax pickle" to strip my surfboards with it is time for a new base coat or the temp changes. It is magic. I would imagine it would take wax off anything (not carpet).
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-24-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
I tried it, I think its a bit more gimmicky than anything....great for the ocean, not for the boat.... messy, requires maintenance, and it doesn't work as good as I thought it would. I used Sticky Bumps Punt which is supposed to be the best for stickyness, but didn't perform as well as I had hoped while surfing. I like traction. I think its one of those things where "everyone is doing it" type of thing, or some of "purist" around here will disagree, but I would challenge to start naming pros that even use wax?? Wolter?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-24-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
ive used was on traction before and really liked it. Sounds as if we have a variety of opinions on if it actually comes off on/in the boat. basically it depends on how hot its gets, correct?

chris wolter is in the pro division on the wake surf tour. hes very good. you should look him up.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-24-2014, 2:06 PM Reply   
Ashley Kidd, Parker Payne, Raliegh Hagar, Ford Chupik, Chris Wolter are just a few.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-24-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
Every pro uses wax and virtually every semi-pro/outlaw, and virtually every one in the competitive realm. Most still use upper traction and they put wax on their traction. A small list has forgone upper traction completely for more of the surfing feel. You feel more of the vibrations with wax alone. Traction dampens the vibration and what your board is trying to tell you. Most recently people have been using the stickier versions, like punt, sticky-icky, gu, really tacky, monkey, etc.

For the rest of the wake surfing world it is all preference. Some like it, some don't. However, there is very little question that wax is grippier than an eva traction pad. That was put to rest in the real surfing work decades ago.

If using the stickier stuff you want to apply an extreme thin amount. Do not goop it on or try to make bumps or ridges like you do with regular wax, also do not use it when it is hotter than 85 degrees out. You will likely find it more slippery than grippy.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-24-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
This pic was taken on Chris's first ride on my 5'5" Day One long board at the WCO in May. The guy can fly with wax. He walked the length of the board and did lip slides like a short board.
It is so much fun to ride a long board with wax because your feet can go where ever you want. I am thinking of doing wax on at least the front of my Soulcraft Da Honu that I ordered.
Attached Images

Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-24-2014, 7:54 PM Reply   
I ran wax for a little bit and hated it, went back to traction... Fast forward a year and I'm running wax/traction I think my initial problem was the wax brand and not really knowing what I wanted out of my board. My combo now is Dakine Pro-lite rear pad brushed with a little punt then a base wax up front (stay covered) and topped with punt, its a little more to keep up with as far as getting wax on there and figuring out whats best for the conditions but when you want your feet to stay put its the only way to go.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-24-2014, 7:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICAH_HARPER View Post
Ashley Kidd, Parker Payne, Raliegh Hagar, Ford Chupik, Chris Wolter are just a few.
So people that ride the hand glassed ones and don't have sponsors for traction, I don't want to bash wax, but I promise that there are people that podium above the names you listed that use traction...its not a game changer, its messy (tracking from feet to boat), and it requires maintenance, and it performance is very arguable. I'm just stating facts from my use of both, I will NEVER use wax again.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-24-2014, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Every pro uses wax and virtually every semi-pro/outlaw, and virtually every one in the competitive realm. Most still use upper traction and they put wax on their traction. A small list has forgone upper traction completely for more of the surfing feel. You feel more of the vibrations with wax alone. Traction dampens the vibration and what your board is trying to tell you. Most recently people have been using the stickier versions, like punt, sticky-icky, gu, really tacky, monkey, etc.

For the rest of the wake surfing world it is all preference. Some like it, some don't. However, there is very little question that wax is grippier than an eva traction pad. That was put to rest in the real surfing work decades ago.

If using the stickier stuff you want to apply an extreme thin amount. Do not goop it on or try to make bumps or ridges like you do with regular wax, also do not use it when it is hotter than 85 degrees out. You will likely find it more slippery than grippy.
Im not saying it wont help, I was answering the OP with my own thoughts. I don't think it is worth it. I also agree that using it with traction would be far less maint and messy than not using front traction at all. But I live where it is high 90s low 100s for weeks. **** gets everywhere.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-24-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
This pic was taken on Chris's first ride on my 5'5" Day One long board at the WCO in May. The guy can fly with wax. He walked the length of the board and did lip slides like a short board.
It is so much fun to ride a long board with wax because your feet can go where ever you want. I am thinking of doing wax on at least the front of my Soulcraft Da Honu that I ordered.
Sue I did the same for my Da Honu, and am now using the Soulcraft Traction...Love the traction.
Old     (donb)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-24-2014, 11:45 PM Reply   
Name:  20140527_193323.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  48.6 KB
Started using wax in place of front traction this year. No problems with wax getting on the upholstery, etc. I wear an old pair of flip flops when I'm done.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-25-2014, 5:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
So people that ride the hand glassed ones and don't have sponsors for traction, I don't want to bash wax, but I promise that there are people that podium above the names you listed that use traction...its not a game changer, its messy (tracking from feet to boat), and it requires maintenance, and it performance is very arguable. I'm just stating facts from my use of both, I will NEVER use wax again.
I ride Traction. and like it over wax
Never said it was a gamechanger
and tell me one other girl surfer that is better than Ashley or Hagar. They have been on every podium at every contest they ride
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-25-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
You are missing my point. Most people that surf aren't ever going to make a podium, and the use of wax is not necessary out of the gate. It would be like telling a snow skier that they need one of those super tight spiderman suits like on dumb and dumber. Sure it may help...but is is necessary...?
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-25-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Silliness. Back to the OP, for those that like to protect their board and for those that use wax they often use a board sock. If you simply put the sock on your board then dip your board in the water it will keep your board out of the sun, and cool all day long. If you find that is too much water in the boat, dip the sock in the water, ring it out like a towel, the put it over the board.

Wax was around long before traction. traction came on the wake surf scene when boards were being produced showroom ready for shops.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-25-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
One more thing, as should be obvious. Waxing a board inside the boat is a sure way to get wax bits everywhere. Wax it/groom it on the swim deck or the dock. It really isn't rocket science.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-25-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
wax on ....wax off...lol...

If you use the right technique to getting the wax on and the right temperature wax...its like glue on your feet...love it!.... but sometimes i wanna move that foot around...after I land an air with my foot in the wrong spot lol
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
I ride with a rear pad, a front arch, and then a base coat of Sex Wax Quick Humps 6x, and a top coat of Sex Wax Quick Humps that depends on the temp.

I used to ride all traction, but I really like the feel of wax now. No matter how I land I know I'm going to have grip. I also prefer the ay it releases from my feet for shuv based tricks.

I use regular wax rather than the super sticky/messy wax that is very popular. I never have a mess, it stays on my board better, and gives me a consistent release.

Chris Wolter runs the same wax set up as me. Just a base and top coat of Sex Wax Quick Humps.
Him and I both were getting free traction from Agenda for a while, but honestly the Agenda product isnt that good. It is too slick.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-25-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
I hated traction when I ocean surfed (even just on the tail) and I haven't used it at all behind a boat. I am not good enough to need more grip. That being said..... I will always remember the smell of a freshly waxed sticky bumps.... That alone might get me to try it on the boat.

I also had a friend leave a bar of wax on the dash of my truck while we were surfing...... that was a mess.

Last edited by stingreye; 09-25-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: correcting the auto correct!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-25-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
The wax i used for performance Sticky Bumps, did in fact work well for performance, but it was almost too sticky (IE) it would stay on your foot all day. Plus the board sock I used for my Da Honu was covered in the stuff. So if you wax, and own a boat, and live in upper 90s, I promise there will be signs....but if the performcance out ways the clean up (didn't in my case) rock that ****! Maybe I am too OCD with my interior ha ha
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-25-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Did you put a base coat on the board before you put on the sticky bumps?

Did you use the tropical water temperature wax? Did you also flip your board upside down so the wax was not sun up side?...
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-25-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yes, Yes, and Yes. Then the fibers of the sock got all in the wax too. I promise you wax is no longer making on to my boat ha ha, unless someone has their own board and sock of course. Just not my gig, maybe I will go skate traction and shoes
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-25-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
Thats so weird..I haven't had any issues with our boat. We keep it in the warmest place in Canada..its over 100 for about a month..... I haven't had anything stick to my feet or board bag.... weird...
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-25-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
WakeDirt I did ride a friends Da Honu with the Soulcraft traction and I did like it better than Agenda. It seems to give a better feel for the board. Maybe I will go rear traction only on my Da Honu.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-25-2014, 9:33 PM Reply   
That's how mine was originally, I have never liked agenda.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-26-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
greeko..... what wax do you use? are you using wax on top of the traction?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-29-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
greeko..... what wax do you use? are you using wax on top of the traction?
I'm using sticky bumps tour series.

I do wax a bit on my back traction as well.