Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
When I installed the new Faria 3 in one depth gauge that tells air and water temp along with depth. I now have a gauge that's redundant. I have always wanted a dash mounted Compass. I have a 3inc hole that will accept such gauge. I see that Ritchie seems to be the only gauge that looks like it will fit the bill. I was wondering what to look for or if anyone had any advice? This is what I was looking at

BTW im not trying to navigate the 7 sea's or anything so it dosent have to be crazy or anything I just thought it would be interesting at times when your all turned around and backwards to see what direction your actually going ect.
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Put the same one in my last boat for the same reason .worked great I'll post pics for you tonight
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2015, 7:21 PM Reply   
Here you go. I had an extra spot in the dash and the compass was a great fix.
Attached Images

Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-22-2015, 9:28 PM Reply   
The only thing to be concerned about is interference from other gauges or magnets nearby, such as speakers. Sometimes the compass might have a separate magnetometer that you can mount remotely in an area without interference. Remember there will be a different amount of magnetic interference with the power turned on and off.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2015, 12:05 PM Reply   
Can anything be done? My dash compas seems to be stuck between 2 points Im guessing it's being effected by electronics
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
Don't use subs with magnets as big as your head. Ha ha
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2015, 11:31 PM Reply   
Darren; you bastard! let's see what it looks like in NZ right now. Here is California.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2015, 11:34 PM Reply   
I'm I wong in thinking a more Expencieve and potentially insulated compas would be less effected by my "electronics"
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2015, 1:24 AM Reply   
I will get a NZ comparison photo this weekend for your butter challenge.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       02-04-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
Can it be fairly easily removed from the dash and held by hand away from the dash to make sure the compass is good? Then move it closer to your mounting location to see if it acts wonky. I'm kinda like ralph in thinking those subs might be your problem. You have 2 huge electromagnets within 1-2' of the compass.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
I've always been of the impression that vehicle compasses are at least as accurate as marine fuel gauges or politician's thoughts.

The white space above is a picture of Canada right now.
That little spot on the right might be my boat, or your screen might just not be really clean.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2015, 9:08 PM Reply   
Pretty good weekend at Mango, smashed out 170k on the bike on Sat, wake, surf and swim on Sunday. Winning.
https://www.strava.com/activities/251349693
Attached Images