Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-28-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ok guys so I'm wondering what I should do with the boat I have. It's a 1994 Monterey 206 with a cracked block that is sitting on a tandem axle inboard trailer (for some reason I don't know) I picked it up for so cheap I can probably still sell it for more than I got it for even with a cracked block. The boat has a 5.0 v8 with a Yamaha out drive. When I got the boat I bought it without being able to fully inspect it but able to hear it run. And it ran good so I took a chance and brought it home. I winternized the boat that night and didn't even think about the possibility of a cracked block so ran the boat on the hose, then drained the block turning the petcocks letting the water out... After that ran 4 gallons of antifreeze. Anyways a few months go by... Today I was going to begin working on the boat and after further inspect there is a pretty big obvious crack in the block. However it still runs good and there's no obvious oil mixing with water via inspecting dip stick.
I do not have time to replace the block. So I am left with a few options
1) sell the boat and trailer on CL for cheap and fully disclose the problem to who ever buys it( I was thinking around 2kish)
2) try to sell the inboard tandem trailer to someone and then maybe sell the boat(trailer for 1kish then boat for 1kish)
3) just start parting the boat out (time consuming and a don't want a boat sitting in my yard in pieces all year)
Thinking about it tho I have a Yamaha out drive, heads possibly, intake, exhaust manifolds, carb, starter, distributor, thunderbolt ignition system, battery, trim motor, ect) I could post all the parts on eBay.
Opinions?

Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-28-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
If your not getting any water into the oil and the crack is just leaking into the bilge, why not just weld it up or epoxy and just run the boat? buff out the gel coat and clean it up!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2015, 11:24 AM Reply   
Same advice here, if it's an external only crack. Get it welded up and drive it like ya stole it.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-28-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Clean it up with some solvent let er dry, and JB weld it. Its basically epoxy for metal.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-28-2015, 12:50 PM Reply   
Didn't I read on one of the forums that you are in business as a boat dealer now? Seems odd for that to be true and your asking advice on a forum what to do with a poor purchase. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but your not going to be in business long that way. If you are a dealer you should have plenty of options with this boat and be set up to cost analyze them as to whats best for business. None of us know your business model or plan so how can we give you a good recommendation. If you are indeed a licensed dealer you can't be doing things like JB welding motors. Your best bet would be to sell it as is with full disclosure to protect the reputation of your new business.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-28-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
^^^ right. I feel I cannot JB weld this job. Just wondering more about the trailer. And I've never had to part out a boat. Wondering if it would be worth it to go that route if anyone had experience with that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-28-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Selling a boat like that without a trailer is going to be nearly impossible. If you sell the trailer separate your going to have to part out the boat. What you will find is your going to likely end up with a hull to try to dispose of and that is expensive. I'd sell it all as one…as is where is.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-28-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
what about actually repairing the block using something like the lock and stitch method. I mean if it's good enough for construction equipment it should be good enough for a boat, right? Yes, of course you'd need to disclose to a buyer.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-28-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
Viewer discretion advised. Shield your eyes!
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-28-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Thats a pretty nasty looking crack.

Honestly if that was my boat i would get out the grinder and welder and do the best i could. If it didnt work out, no big loss.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-28-2015, 4:27 PM Reply   
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-Cracked-Block
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2015, 4:58 PM Reply   
grind it. Weld it. BAM
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-28-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
Grind and weld if you want a quick hack to get on the water, may work may not but nothing to lose but a little time. Personally for a boat like that I'd be looking for a running 350 and just swap over the marine stuff. Still quick and relatively easy. It would be worth it to me to throw rings and gaskets and it and check bearings but sometimes good enough is good enough if you don't have the time. The time is in pulling and reinstalling mostly, so I'd want it not to have issues.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2015, 5:59 PM Reply   
JB weld it! Quick, cheap and should solve the problem.