Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-15-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
I just went from a 139 to a 135, should I widen the stance? (I can't spin past a 180 but I have 2 different flips) if your wondering where the spins / flips come in to play. I just don't know. Riding switch is tough on the new board too. would having a wider stance help that a bit? Any thoughts / Advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (sheldon128)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-15-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
ok honestly i widen my stance almost as far as it goes since im 6,4 but u need to try different things if you widen your stance to much u could hurt your knees but to me the wider your stance is the more aggresive your board is and the more controll you have.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-15-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
It is all physiology. My stance ranges 24-25 depending on the board and options. I get knee pain when I ride wider and it just doesn't feel comfortable going narrower. Everyone is different.

Stance is all about comfort. If it feels right do it. Don't expect going wider to improve any part of your riding.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-15-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
I pretty much operate on the basis of "All the way out, always." I used to have a closer stance but I switched a while ago and haven't looked back. I have so much more control and stability that I scratch my head at the sight of people with narrow stances by choice. Grabs are easier, spinning is more controlled, landings are easier to absorb, and it feels all around more natural once you give it a set or two. So yes, you should widen your stance.

That all kind of contradicts what was said above, but this is all my experience. The only way to know is to try it.

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 08-15-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added the last bit.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 6:44 PM Reply   
You should comfortably be able to bend your knees and just about touch your butt on the ground. If your stance causes pain when you do this you will most likely hurt yourself at some point (in your knees). I rode all the way out and fully "ducked" out for awhile but I kept tweaking my knees till i changed it.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
You could also jump down off tailgate or something and see how wide your stance is to comfortably land...I'd start there.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-16-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
Although I may not have the cred for this as some of the above to have much weight of authority, let me toss this thought into the mix.

I played with stance a lot early on. Now I think, it is a compromise.

I rather liked the narrow stance when I hit but now I ride exclusively wide stance and wide duck, because that's more comfortable landing (especially for digging out of sketchy landings).
Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-17-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
Comfort is everything. I'm 6'2" and ride a 142 and my stance is as wide as I can make it. I feel I can control the board and also its comfortable for me when landing and can absorb the impact better. But like everyone else is saying.....go with what you are comfortable with fersure
Old     (joaomalheiros)      Join Date: May 2014       08-17-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
i used to have the stance all the way out since the day i started riding. played with it a little last year and felt way more comfortable with a almost all the way in stance. absorbed the impacts a lot better than before and felt way less soared after riding. everyone has different bodies and physiognomy, so you should try what feels better to you
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Switched to all the way out this morning and pretty much loved it, everything felt good and my toesides definitely felt better, and the biggest difference was the deeper harder cut that I got from it