Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-17-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
So, I have been out of the game for 2 years now. I have had a 2010 Epic 2011 Epic and a 2012 MB Widebody. Bought all brand new. Loved the first Epic which lead to my second one. Hated the 2nd one which lead to the MB. Loved the MB more than any other boat I have had or been on. Sold the MB after a year just like the others. Didn't get a boat for 2014 season.

Fast forward to now.... We just bought a lake house and now NEED a boat. Not sure I want to go the whole BRAND NEW boat route again. Which leads to my question.

1. Would it scare you to buy a boat with 300 or so hours (or more) for something like a 2011 or newer? (I can post some onlyinboards ones that interest me if someone wants to see what I am talking about)

2. Surfing is our main lake activiy (tubing with the little ones too) I loved my MB and would love a tomcat, but what else should I be looking at? Axis from 2011 2012 2013??

My biggest scare is to buy a used boat with 300 hours and it be a lemon. THoughts on how many hours vs year I should stay away from?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-17-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
100 hours per year is pretty average. I put 80-90 on my boat last year.

A 1 or 2 year old boat with 300 hours would be hard to be a lemon. You need to use a boat A LOT to put that many hours on it, so it's unlikely that it has spent much time in the shop.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
To be honest, It always amazes me that people worry about hours so much. 300 hours is nothing. It is barely broken in.

IT IS ALL ABOUT HOW THE BOAT IS TREATED/TAKEN CARE OF!!!

I put on a lot of hours per summer (150ish average), and have several friends that also do. 3 of the boats in our group have over 1500 hours on original engines, that run as good as day 1. The boats, themselves, are also still in excellent condition. (1 MC and 2 CCs). They have been cared for, by people who take pride in their machines.

On the other hand, I have seen towboats with 200 hours, that are ready for the scrap heap.

Look the boat over carefully, and see if the little things have always been done, and that the boat was well cared for......

Also, as a rule of thumb, Inboard and V-drive tow boats usually have more problems/quirks in the first 20 hours, than they do in the following 1000hrs. I/O and Outboards are more the type that you start having more problems after 300-500 hours. (Mostly drive related, etc)
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
If it looks good, take it to a dealer and have them do a full diagnostics. It is worth the extra cash.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-17-2015, 7:09 AM Reply   
Eric -

That is good to hear. I have always had new boats so I barely get to 40 hours on them when I was trailering each time. Now with a lake house I am sure I will put more hours each year. Hard to tell how its been taken care of in pictures. I will inspect whatever I find pretty hard but it's pretty easy to hide something. Thanks for all the advice.

Any thoughts on Surfing with the AXIS? I think I am sorta leaning that way.... maybe '11 - '13
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-17-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Eric -

That is good to hear. I have always had new boats so I barely get to 40 hours on them when I was trailering each time. Now with a lake house I am sure I will put more hours each year. Hard to tell how its been taken care of in pictures. I will inspect whatever I find pretty hard but it's pretty easy to hide something. Thanks for all the advice.

Any thoughts on Surfing with the AXIS? I think I am sorta leaning that way.... maybe '11 - '13
Get an Axis with Surfgate if you want to surf.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-17-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Eric -

Axis switched to a newer swim platform design in 2012. So look for that.

Also, this will help drastically http://www.wickedwakesurf.com/
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-17-2015, 11:16 AM Reply   
I really wouldn't be worried to buy a boat with 300hrs either. As others have said it's barely been used. Overall condition is more important.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-17-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
Indeed, I would not base decsion solely on hours or year, it is about owner history and upkeep. We have a 96 I/O that was picked up with 16 hours on it. It now has ~1700 hr on original carb merc 5.7 . Didn't get used much when I was younger until we got our first lake house. I have been on the water consistently 3-5X a week during summer months ever since. The boat has been my baby and I have been anal about maintenance and regular service. Still have all my receipts for oil changes and parts that have been put into it. Like what was said before, the drive line needed some repairs along the way (gimbal bearing), have gone through a couple distributor caps, plug wires bilge pumps, battery, a starter, alternator and 1 new interior but absolutely nothing that I would consider abnormal degradation. Im finally in a position to to buy my "dream" wakeboard boat and will not even be selling this one because I know how well it was taken care of. Just going to give it to my brother who is just a diligent about taking care of his possessions as I am so I know it has a good home.

When you are buying the boat or any vehicle for that matter, I would say it is just as important to interview and evaluate the owner as it is to inspect the vehicle. Good luck with the purchase.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-18-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have never seen anything like that Wickedwave thing. Now that is cool! Boat show this weekend. Closing on house in 30 days, then finding the boat for us! Seems like the never ending spending money machine right now, but oh well..... it will be a great summer!
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-18-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
I sold my 1996 Sanger with 850 Hr's on it, Never has been in the shop other then maintenance, My buddy sold his 5 years later with 295 HR's on it.... we bought ours at the same time, That boat was hammered, Sure it had low HR's on it, But not very well maintained. I Just traded my 2010 Malibu with over 500 Hr's on it, I use my boat a lot, Today's engines are so much more reliable and dependable, I agree it's funny people have this opinion that 300 to 400 HR's is to much, Sure it's cool to find a boat with low HR's on it, But not necessary,
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-18-2015, 7:27 PM Reply   
scott, what lake are you buying on? im in illinois not y
not too far fro m the indiana border. always good to find another lake.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-19-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
SS

I am buying on Lake Freeman in Monticello Indiana.

Vince - That is a very solid point. I am going to look hard at quality care of the boat vs looking at the hours after hearing all the input.

I would love to buy new again but I just don't think I can pull the trigger......well my wife won't let me at least....HA
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2015, 7:14 PM Reply   
Very nice, that's a good lake. Congrats.
Old     (Scoobtube)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-20-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
I've got 28xx hours on my 97 malibu sunsetter. bought it with 230. best damn boat out there. have had it about 6-7 years. no problems. I do all the maintenance myself.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-26-2015, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hours don't mean much, nor does year. Driveline and mechanical parts and cheap, fast and easy to repair or replace. Hull/gel/stringer problems are either expensive or time consuming. Plenty of guys have the space and tools to rebuild a small block Chevy or a velvet drive but not many are set up for a stringers or glass and gel. Check it out and make your decision according to your abilities. Nothing will be trouble free, plenty of brand new warranty nightmares too. I'd recommend making sure the hull and structure is solid and in good condition though. I've averaged 75-100 hours/yr on a 20+ year old boat I got with well under 500 hours. That's like 20 hours/yr before me? I don't worry about hours or age, just get what I like and do what I want with it. Mine has been cheap and reliable, can't complain.

Last edited by cadunkle; 02-26-2015 at 5:18 PM.