Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-28-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
Has anyone recorded the depth at the river mouth in Lake Havasu? This is going from the lake into the river towards the sandbar and needles. I usually can spot the deeper water around the sand bar right there, but last trip was a bit breezy and I had to go off memory. I've seen speed boat just fly right down the shallows, but Im concerned a wakeboat would hit. It looks to be 3-4 feet deep.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
It changes all the time with the river-flow & seasons. But, it's sandy. So worst case, go slow and you'll be fine. I've had to get out of the boat and walk it over this section once or twice.

But, don't do what this guy did. I was there once where it kept getting shallower and we had to get out of the boat and walk it. About 400-500 yards ahead of us was a fast/deck boat that was stuck so shallow that it was listing over resting on one side of the hull. The skipper was out of the boat walking around it and we could see that he was standing only calf-deep in water. He had probably been going 50 MPH + and drove up on the bar for quite a way, maybe 100 or 200 yards before realizing that he was getting stuck. By the time he figured it out it was way too late. We couldn't find a way over the bar and blew off the river that day. I have no idea how long he was out there or how he got off but he was very, very stuck by several hundred yards of 12" water in every direction.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-29-2013, 7:56 AM Reply   
You're correct, depth is about 3-4' in some spots. So long as you stay on plane and dump ballast beforehand you should be fine. I would just follow another bigger boat up but if that's not possible...

There is a dredged channel on the CA side that's 5mph but I'm not a fan. From what I've heard its extremely shallow and you'll be kicking up sand & silt then have to get on plane after exiting which only sinks the back end deeper. I prefer to approach at speed favoring the AZ side and cut over at a pretty sharp angle toward the reed island. Once even with the reed island straighten out and cruise up river. There's no issues until after the hwy 40 bridge around Needles.

Oh and lift your feet off the floor. It must help since I do it every time and haven't hit yet lol
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-29-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeednup View Post
You're correct, depth is about 3-4' in some spots. So long as you stay on plane and dump ballast beforehand you should be fine. I would just follow another bigger boat up but if that's not possible...

There is a dredged channel on the CA side that's 5mph but I'm not a fan. From what I've heard its extremely shallow and you'll be kicking up sand & silt then have to get on plane after exiting which only sinks the back end deeper. I prefer to approach at speed favoring the AZ side and cut over at a pretty sharp angle toward the reed island. Once even with the reed island straighten out and cruise up river. There's no issues until after the hwy 40 bridge around Needles.

Oh and lift your feet off the floor. It must help since I do it every time and haven't hit yet lol
Thats what I always do, come up on AZ side then sharp left right next to the grass. However, one time I was too far on AZ side, cut left and ended up in thigh high water and had to walk the boat. It's an easy route on calm, clear water, but throw in wind and overcast skies and the water looks shallow everywhere.

The only shallows I know of beyond that, is way past the 40 in upper needles.