Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Just purchased a 2005 Supra 21V that only has 1 battery. I am only running 1 amp in the boat but would like to add second battery just so I dont have to worry about being stranded if battery goes dead listening to radio with boat not running. I have a perko switch that the guy I bought boat from gave me, I just dont know how to wire it. A friends boat has this set up and it doesnt matter if he has the switch on 1,2, or both he can always have radio playing or start boat from either battery. Im sure its something simple but just confusing to me.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-22-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
It's in the owners manual. You can download a copy from the Spura webite I think. Send me a pm and I can email you a diagram if needed.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-22-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Try this.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adding+a+perko+switch
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-22-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke22885 View Post
Just purchased a 2005 Supra 21V that only has 1 battery. I am only running 1 amp in the boat but would like to add second battery just so I dont have to worry about being stranded if battery goes dead listening to radio with boat not running. I have a perko switch that the guy I bought boat from gave me, I just dont know how to wire it. A friends boat has this set up and it doesnt matter if he has the switch on 1,2, or both he can always have radio playing or start boat from either battery. Im sure its something simple but just confusing to me.
Are you planning on having 2 of the same battery or one starting battery and one deep cycle(stereo) battery? Since you only have one amp I would consider either buying a second battery that is identical to you current one(if the current one is pretty new nad in good working order) or better yet ditch the battery you have and buy 2 group 24 or 27, Dual purpose batteries batteries like the Deka DP24, DP 27 or the Interstate SRM29. With a setup like this, move the positive starter cable to the common terminal on the switch, then run a positive from the 2 other terminals on the switch to the 2 different batteries. Leave the negative from the engine block goign to one of the batteries and then attach the the negatives of the 2 batteries in parallel. For you stereo run a cable off the common terminal of the perko to a busbar/distribution block. Move all stereo equipment hookups to the distribution block. In this setup you can completely disengage power to the amps as well as the starter so the boat can't be started. If you do this while leaving your boat in the water make sure to wire your auto bilge straight to one of the batteries. This also gives you the ability to use either battery as the battery. Just try to use them similar so they last about the same length of time(life of battery).

The other way would be to run everything the same except move the distribution block to the battery you want to designate the Stereo battery. In this way you could probably get away with a starting battering and a deep cycle battery as long as their charging specs are similar. You would use it slightly different and could never disconnect power to the stereo/amps unless you add some sort of circuit breaker or disconnect switch between the battery and distribution block. I guess you could just disconnect the battery positive to he distribution block but that is kind of ghetto.

Either way the make sure you know how your system is setup and works so you can manipulate it properly.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-22-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Mike - Sent you an email with the diagram.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
I remember the first time I found out about lmgtfy, I was really unhelpful too.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-22-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudontn View Post
I remember the first time I found out about lmgtfy, I was really unhelpful too.

LOL - just like your current post...?- did you check my link? There were a ton of helpful strings that were exactly what he was asking for. Basically, that is like saying Google isn't helpful.

Last edited by lifetimewarranty; 11-22-2011 at 5:49 PM.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
LOL - just like your current post...?- did you check my link? There were a ton of helpful strings that were exactly what he was asking for. Basically, that is like saying Google isn't helpful.
There's only one reason anyone uses lmgtfy, it's to be a smartass. You could have said "google it" and been more helpful. That's why it gives the smart ass message "was that so hard?" after some person looking for help clicks it.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-22-2011, 9:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudontn View Post
There's only one reason anyone uses lmgtfy, it's to be a smartass. You could have said "google it" and been more helpful. That's why it gives the smart ass message "was that so hard?" after some person looking for help clicks it.
Of course there is a bit of humor in it...but if you actually checked my link you'd see that it has a ton of useful info - unlike your dribble that you keep posting. You haven't helped in the least bit.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-23-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
I did google searches and I did searches on here and just couldnt find anything that showed me what I wanted to see. I am not very confident when playing with electrical and audio stuff. I have gotten a lot of useful info from members on this site in the past and Jamie sent me a very straight forward diagram that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-23-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
If you are lacking some confidence in this type of thing it is probably best to have someone do it for you. it is not very difficult if you take it one step at a time, just depends on if you have any experience working with 12 volt.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-27-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Of course there is a bit of humor in it...but if you actually checked my link you'd see that it has a ton of useful info - unlike your dribble that you keep posting. You haven't helped in the least bit.
Yea, it was hilarious. I never posted under the facade of trying to be helpful only to post a smart ass link. And the word you were looking for is "drivel." Hope this helps.