Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-14-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Looks like the something cool is in the works with the new Malibu MXZ. Has anyone heard how this thing handles, or is it to new? Is the wake sick?

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-14-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
looks like blue metal flake and black, pretty sweet
Old    BenjTrogdon            10-14-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yup.. Ive ridden behind one and it seriously has an amazing wake. I was able to do Crow 5s, mobes, and 7s with JUST the stock ballast.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
I got the same info from my buddy who works at Malibu, like he said and like I said the wake is amazing.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-14-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
how does stock wake compare to 23 LSV stock wake?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-14-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Jeez, buddy rockstared that trailer right in and out of there.lol. That sure is a purdy boat right ther.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-14-2011, 3:25 PM Reply   
Looks like they need to be fillin some potholes in that lot!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-14-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Jeez, buddy rockstared that trailer right in and out of there.lol. That sure is a purdy boat right ther.
He sure as hell doesnt take his time backing in and out....
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-14-2011, 10:17 PM Reply   
I'm excited to see this boat. Cant wait for "Evening with the Stars"
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       10-15-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine said he saw it Wednesday and said he nearly messed his pants!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-15-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
I was in the market for a new boat a few weeks back. So I went down the the local Bu dealer to take a look at the 247/23/MXZ. All were great boats. However, when I asked the sales guy what he wanted for an MXZ, he told me $84K!. I about fell over (same way I always feel about MC prices). So I asked how much the WS 23 was and he told me he could let one go for $75K. I just looked at him with a grin and did not say a word. All he said was "yea i know, does not make much sense to me either"

Like I said, great boat and finish out. Just a crazy price IMO.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-16-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
I just saw one at my local dealer. Boat was pure sickeness. Price tag was 93k Canadian! Not in my price range. I was looking at the A22's while I was there. The staff who have rode both said they have similar wakes but with stock ballast the MXZ was a little bigger but the A22 had more pop, but both were awesome (duh!). I would gladly take a MXZ but not for 93k.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 3:40 AM Reply   
How is the cabin size of the Mxz compare to a vlx? Windshield back.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-17-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
I saw it at surf expo. Its about the same as the VLX. Thats what was least impressive about it. If you like to fill the bow with people or weight that is where the extra length is. The boat is really nice just no more extra space where most people sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrent View Post
How is the cabin size of the Mxz compare to a vlx? Windshield back.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-24-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   

You've seen the teaser, here is the finished product.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
Wow..... Awesome Video. Awesome boat and especially awesome riding from the Portland boys!!! Pretty excited for AWS Evening of the Stars next month.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-26-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
Holy MXZ video! I can't believe that riding, and that video production came from our little shop here in Portland. It's better than anything I've seen come from Malibu.

I saw that boat in the showroom the other day. It's pretty slick. However, I still like the size of the LSV interior more (biased toward cockpit, not bow).
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-26-2011, 11:47 PM Reply   
OK, wait a minute. Is this just another silly pickle fork line up addition. Without more information that is just a really dramatic soundtrack to a pickle fork VLX being towed in to somewhere.

Did Malibu really just dial in the perfect wake just now in 2011, or are they just experimenting with the pickle fork look on a VLX?
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-30-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Awesome video. With video clips like that and YouTube Malibu can reduce it's marketing budget.

Nice work.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-04-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
According to Malibu, there are a few differences in size between the VLX and the MXZ... the MXZ has a 102" beam, and is also about a foot longer. Have yet to look at the MXZ, but I would think it would have a little more room in the cockpit/main seating area... Its rated for 15 people, instead of 14 like the VLX (of course this is packing everyone in like sardines). The VLX will sit 8-9 adults pretty comfortably.

If the wake on the MXZ is anything like the VLX then it will not disappoint anyone... IMO, the VLX has one of the best out of the box wakes in the industry.... so clean and easy to dial in, for all different rider levels, pretty hard to beat.

Hope my dealer gets one in soon, would like to crawl around in the MXZ.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-04-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Went and looked at one at my local Malibu dealer today. That's one nice boat. The bow playpen is just huge. One other thing they have done is put 8 inch speakers throughout the boat instead of 6.5's. As said above, it's the same width as the 23lsv but in a shorter length. It sure sits higher on the trailer as well. although I would prefer some analog gauges it has a nice simple dash design to it.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-17-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
The MXZ hull is a combo of the VLX (rear) and 23 (entry).
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-18-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
Exactly. You're essentially going to get a VLX wake out of an MXZ. That's a bad arse wake, no doubt. Perhaps slightly more vert., due to the added weight and running surface in the nose.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-18-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I was in Portland 2 weeks ago and drove by AWS a few times. Didn't realize that sick ass MXZ they had sitting inside was the one from these videos until now. That really is one tiny shop! I thought Tommy's was small until I saw AWS!
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-18-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
I was in Portland 2 weeks ago and drove by AWS a few times. Didn't realize that sick ass MXZ they had sitting inside was the one from these videos until now. That really is one tiny shop! I thought Tommy's was small until I saw AWS!
You must have been driving by the Beaverton store. They have a pretty big pro shop, service center, and boat lot in Oregon City. I think they only have 5 or 6 boats at the Beaverton location. I went in to the OC store this morning to check out the MXZ and what do you know... They had two of them. The blue and black one was all polished up for the "Evening With The Stars" event this evening.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-18-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yep we were in Beaverton. That shop looked tiny. That MXZ looked dead sexy though!
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-23-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Stopped in and checked it out today....it's one SICK boat!!!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-25-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
I am a convert from a different wakeboard boat product line. Call me biased because I own a Malibu, but they put out some incredibly sick looking boats.... the out of the box wakes are simply incredible with a great price point. The new G3 Tower is so nice and well built, Maliview, MTC, quad ballast tanks, great vinyl, etc... the list goes on. Hats off to Malibu for another great addition to the Wakesetter lineup.

And great job on that video, top notch production.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-25-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
I love the new MXZ. I have not ridden behind it yet but I saw one at the Jersey dealership. Black and white color scheme. Looks sick. I hope to demo it in the spring
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-25-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
rode behind one of these a few months ago and I didn't really care for the wake too much, I like my a 22 or the 23 lsv better. . . but that's just my opinion. It does handle very well though and takes chop very well. Obviously the interior is pretty sweet like all malibu's would be.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-08-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
I have not been a big fan of the MXZ in the pictures or videos, But in person it is awesome. Took My boat in for service today, and my dealer had 1 in their showroom floor

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-09-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
It looks CAB-BACKWARDS (as compared to CAB-FORWARDS) to me. Is this true? Have they really moved the CAB backward to increase the size of the bow?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-09-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Looks pretty nice although I would probably color it different and also ditch that weird huge graphic on the side. It does look like it has a longer bow kind of like the Xstar.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
The boat is pretty nice. The graphics on that one above are pretty ugly though. I am not sure I like the fact you can see all the gel coat in between seat cushions and stuff. It doesn't look as plush inside as like the VLX or the LSV. Just my opinion when I checked it out, but by all means a sweet boat.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       12-09-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
It looks CAB-BACKWARDS (as compared to CAB-FORWARDS) to me. Is this true? Have they really moved the CAB backward to increase the size of the bow?
I completely agree with the quote above. Again, it goes back to personal preferences, but the only people that ever spend time in our bow are the kids....mostly when we make them go to keep them from being underfoot. I assume moving the helm backwards also took away space from the main cabin, a huge negative (in my book) and really the reason I didn't look at an X-star.

Last edited by dhill; 12-09-2011 at 9:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-09-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
That was my biggest dislike about the boat, but I can say this, in person, it docent look as bad. I thought it had the same cabin room as my vlx. But in person, I like it a lot better than the photos.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-12-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
When I checked one out at my local dealer I felt the cabin was the same or very slightly larger than a VLX, mostly due to the wider beam. So while the proportions may look off in the pictures, the cabin is not smaller than the VLX by any means, and the MXZ bow is of course huge. Here are some pictures of the wake that ththrog posted over on malibucrew. He says "We didn't have people weight in December, so we added two 750's in the back and 1000 bow sac all about 75% full." So this is with an extra ~1875lbs on top of the factory ballast:

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-14-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Any idea if that's with or w/o wedge? Regardless it looks awesome, just wondering if there is more lip to be added to it with the wedge (call me crazy, but I like the lip personally)
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       12-14-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
looks like wedge down to me
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-15-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
He said it was "23.6 MPH and wedge 33% or 3 clicks up", so plenty of wedge adjustment left to add more lip as needed.
Old     (jimmymcfly)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-15-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Looks fantastic! My dealer does not have one yet. Was looking at a few brands for my spring boat, this one is on the list.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-15-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
That wake looks wicked....

With any luck that's what we'll be rocking for 2012. Can't wait for a great year.

As for the prices.... I finally feel like they're starting to justify the prices with comfort and options. Our 2011 23' LSV was the nicest boat I've ever been in. I grew to absolutely love the touchscreen dash, heated seat and all the little extras. Definitely the plushest boat I've been in. Most of the people that rode in/behind that boat agreed that it was tough to top.

We'll see how the new cabin layout works. I loved our X-stars, so I think that it'll work just fine for me. When we had a big crew with the Star's the first place the girls would go was up front so they could lounge. The LSV works for this, too, but it's a bit more cozy.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-16-2011, 5:57 AM Reply   
Saw an MXZ on the lake late in the summer, loved the way it looked, but I'm not a fan of that graphics package at all.