Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
We have a 21.5' ebbtide I/O that I ride behind. I rode behind it for a summer and it was fun but I had a lot of trouble going wake to wake. Then I got a chance to ride behind a friends 24' chaparral and it was a huge difference. They also had a tower so I'm not sure if the difference I was experiencing was the bigger wake or a combo of that and the tower. Behind their boat I was going much bigger then I have ever before with easy.

So I guess what I'm getting at is can I get the same ride by adding some ballast bags? It's hard to justify spending so much money when I dont know how much better it will be.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-19-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
580 lbs makes a pretty noticeable difference in my 23' MasterCraft. That's the equivalent of having 3-4 more adults in the boat so if you actually have 4-5 people your wake should be starting to get pretty large.

1,600 lbs+ people obviously makes an even bigger difference. I only own a pair of 280 lb Fat Buddies right now but usually when we do a boys outing somebody will bring more bags and we usually run 12-1600 lbs. If I'm going out with the wife and kids I only bring the Fat Buddies because I don't have the time or the space for a bunch of bags all over the place.

I'm in the late planning phase of a 2,500 lb automatic ballast system right now though. I'm not really going that route because I absolutely have to have more weight but because it's going to cost me $6-700 to plumb and wire the system regardless of what bags I put on there. So, I might as well spend the extra $150-200 to get the bigger bags and have more flexibility.

Last edited by Jeff; 04-19-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-19-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
It will make a lot of difference. I/Os like weight in the bow, so have a fat friend or two sit up front to get an idea, but I can promise it will be worth it. Also, you can find sacs for 50 and a pump for under a bill. Not really a ton of $$ to get your wake right.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Not as much difference as proper edging. But yes, if it didn't make a difference we would not add the ballast.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-19-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
ya cant edge thru a marshmellow no matter how hard you hit it...
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
True, but Byerly was doing just about everything imaginable behind an outboard with virtually zero wake many years ago.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-19-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Thats just because Byerly is a god on the water.... Put any other pro there.... They wouldnt be nearly as successful, as Scotty B