Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
http://http://forums.wakeboarder.com...ic.php?t=59748
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2012, 5:19 AM Reply   
The link is not working. I would not buy any boat without a PCM drive.
Old     (EngineNut)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-07-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
Anything with an Indmar engine would be your best choice.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-07-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
X2 for Indmar
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-07-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
You might as well have asked which brand boat is best or which tower speakers are best. There are going to be very brand loyal people and people with horror stories for all motor brands. The main thing you need to do is get service records and have your shop inspect the engines.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-07-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
The link doesnt work but I don't think it's going to matter too much which wakeboat you get because 90% of the motors are Chevy 350 engines and are very reliable if maintained well.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-07-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Indmar, PCM, Marcruiser/wahtever doesn't really matter. They're all new from reputable companies. Not sure if they build them or buy short/long blocks nad finish them with marine parts. Maybe someone else knows? This would be a good insight into it.

Personally I prefer Ford 460. It's simple best bang for the buck engine and in a low output boat application they'll last forever. You won't find many in ski/wake boats though. After that would be BBC/454 based, followed by SBF then SBC. I wouldn't want to deal with Mopar since I don't know much about them, or any of the oddball GM motors.I'm a Ford man, but I wouldn't ever want a small block in a boat. Square peg in a round hole. How many guys here prop/gear the hell out of their boats to pull lots of weight? Yeah, a lot. I prefer to have torque on demand at all times without spinning to the moon. FWIW my boat has a PCM 454 which I think is fine. If it ever needs a rebuild I'll most likely replace it with a Ford 460 stroked to 545. This application needs displacement.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Try this link: http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archi...h_smaller.html
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-07-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
This is a 6 year old chart and is obsolete. What is your real question
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
From an engineering standpoint, Pcm does more to adapt the engine for a marine environment. Mastercraft left Indmar for multiple reasons, one of which was amount of defects in first 60 days of operation. Mercury marine (Mercruiser) is more associated with large production numbers than high quality marine applications.

I prefer PCM, but to me a clear and consistent service record is more important on a used boat than the engine manufacturer.

Last edited by MattieK27; 01-07-2012 at 6:23 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-08-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Avoiding a carb plays a huge role in reliability.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
^^^so true as was getting electronic ignition.