Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-26-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
Wondering what your thoughts are on this - are the big boats 23' & up harder to sell generally than the 21/22 ft and I guess 20ft ones ?

I was originally looking for a 21/22ft, but came across a good deal on a supra 24ssv. From what i hear its a great wake. I owned a 22ssv previously so am familiar with supra.

My hesitations are that its a bit bigger - really tight to fit on my driveway - need to take off the platform. Bigger (longer) to tow - weight seems the same as current 21/22ft hulls.

Do you with experience selling boats - have you found there are generally fewer buyers for the bigger boats? Wondering if resale is going to get hit moreso than a 21/22ft..?

Cheers
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-26-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
I don't think there will be anymore of a problem selling a 24 than any other boat. If you price it right it will sell. The reason I would not go that big is Cost, fuel mileage on boat and tow vehicle , size of storage area needed and no chance of any kind of a slalom wake. If you are a hard core wake boarder with a lot of friends and family it will probably be a good choice.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-26-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
IMPO...Yes it a little harder. Newbs dont like to start with a big boats, cost comes into play,pushes some peoples tow vech. to the limits so they look smaller. That being said I would not shy away from a 24 if I found the right boat for me. Yes I think it will be a little harder to get rid of but they do sell. Just fewer buyers.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-27-2011, 7:04 AM Reply   
Some lakes have size restrictions. When I was selling my Tige 20i, I had several people call and need a precise measuring because they couldn't have a boat over 20'. Apparently, at some lakes, they are anal about this and actually measure. I also have a buddy who's got a place on a lake where the limit is 21' but they go by the length on the title. My lake has a 25' restriction. I've never come across a 23 or 24' restriction, but I have to believe they are out there. It might be worth checking out if any of the lakes you'd like to use have any such restrictions.

When I was looking for a boat, I intentionally tried to stay away from anything bigger than 21-22, mainly for the reasons others have stated above (tow vehicle capacity, storage, etc). That being said, it seems like wakeboats are getting bigger, not smaller overall.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-27-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
That 24ssv wake is money. I had a great time riding that boat, sacked out, the one time i had the opportunity to. Never ridden the 22ssv so not sure how close those wakes are. Back to your question, i didnt look at anything bigger than 22 for the same reasons previously posted, so i think you have a lot smaller demand out there. Bad news when selling, but good news when buying cuz u should be able to get the price down, assuming you are buying used from private seller.

If you like it, it fits your needs and budget, get it and have fun. Dont let resale be much of a factor unless you are one of the guys who buys a new boat every year.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-27-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
I have the opposite problem. I am going from a 27 foot boat down to a smaller boat. We looked at some 22 foot boats and felt clostaphobic. I am looking for a 23 foot at minimum boat now. 24 with 102 inch beam is what I am looking for. As to your question, there will be a buyer for you when you sell it so long as you take care of it and don't think your boat is made of gold when you price it.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-29-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
IMO, no, the bigger boats are in demand and you'll be able to sell just the same as a 21/22. I recently sold my 21.5 VLX and had many potential buyers walk away due to the size (it being too small). Many families are looking for boats they can pile a few friends and a lot of kids in, so your bigger boats are going to be necessities. I'm not sure if people are having more kids these days, but 3 of the families that looked at my boat had at least 3 kids (if not 4), so that is 5 people in the boat just to start with. If each kid invites a friend, there's 8 in the boat. Doesn't leave much room for adult friends in a 21ft boat, plus all of the "stuff" they have to bring with them. My next boat will be a 23 footer without a doubt.
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-01-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
It just depends on where you're selling it. On big water like Salt Lake City they sell better.