Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
Not looking forward to the 90-120 min tows to Melones or Pedro this year, wife says no river riding with the kids this year with the crazy levels. So I am curious if Hogan or Commanche are worth hitting up. Don't recommend Folsom, way to many Wally's!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
I would recommend Hogan over Commanche. From what I have heard, Commanche get rough in the afternoons and the lake doesn't have any forks to reduce the swells allowing the lake to get choppy quickly.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2011, 6:58 AM Reply   
Hogan Hands Down
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-20-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
Hogan is my lake of choice and I'll go there over any other local lake when camping. Be warned though, you have just as many wallys there as Folsom. If boarding is the main event then you have early morning or evening to board in peace before the idiots hit the water. Because it's a narrow lake for over half of it it's hard to find an idiot free zone. The lice churn the water at the cove mouths waiting for the boats to come out and jump the wakes. The wind in the afternoons can get pretty bad in the main bay and larger areas. We board in the mornings and evenings then surf or tube the kids when the wind or idiots kick up.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-21-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hogans as well.

Hogans is at it's highest point in the last 6 years, the water is all the way up to the campgrounds in the overflow section, know Oak Knoll. We will be there May 13, 24th & June 10th June 24th & then off to Pedro for July/Aug. The campgrounds are close but not nearly as packed together as Comanche and less "ghetto". We also love Pedro because more 'ride-able' water but split our time between Hogans/Pedro. Feel free to wave us down, Metal Red Flake X2.

Reservations can be made online via http://www.recreation.gov/ ( Acorn Camp East $18 night or Oak Knoll $12 a night). Check out the Cliffs @ the back of the lake. Hit me up if you have more questions about sites, etc.
Attached Images

Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-21-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
Cliffs:

* won't be this high as the water level is up roughly 50 vertical feet f/ last year.
Attached Images

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-21-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Why wont she let you ride the river? The river is hands down the best waterway to ride! Between the two: Hogan definately...
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-21-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
kids age 4 and 7, very dangerous current for them.
i will have to try hogan this year it looks like!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-22-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Kenny - Check out the http://www.recreation.gov site, you can book up to 6 months in advance for sites & they do book up quick. Also, Hogans usually has a Firework show on the weekend of the 24th - a good weekend to pick but the sites still available are few n far between.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Is it a good place for camping? Right now just looking for a good spot to hit up, maybe camp for a night. water pretty clean minus major debris? What about temp, pretty warm in the summer?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
are the camp site right on the water so that your boat is not far?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
Is that correct its $125 a night?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Ok so further research shows 3 different sites from $14 a night to the $125 a night? so which are the camp sites you guys recommend?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-24-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider_2 View Post
are the camp site right on the water so that your boat is not far?
Depends on time of year and starting level. Right now it's less than a minute walk to the waters edge. Sometimes it's a 200 or more foot walk
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-24-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
Hogans has 3 camping areas, they are linked below with maps and some quick information. We have a 6 week old & a 3.5 yr old. We camp a bit more on the weekends now with friends and family and usually hit the delta on weekdays. Bullards is about the only place i will camp where i cant leave my boat in the water. Even when the water was extremely low we left the boat in the water. A good # of people do here and knock on wood i have never ran into any trouble. I am looking FWD to this year as instead of hiking 300 + yards from camp to the water it will likely be about 100 feet =) . The photo you see was taken by a friend in the Oak Knoll campground about 3 weeks ago, I believe around site 27/28 area. 2 cars per site but plenty of overflow parking @ no charge. No charge to launch the boat when camping. There is no marina onsite but town is 1 mile outside of the lake, (gas, fast food, store, pizza, etc ). We usually camp in Oak Knoll. If you are going for the day get there early, usually doesn't get busy until the afternoons but wind is hit n miss. Hope that all helps.

Coyote Point ( Group site - 100 camper capacity - $125 )
*unfortunately this is rented out virtually every day trough the summer. . . We've rented in one time 3 years back, pretty epic location for a group.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Co...ex=CampingSpot

Acorn Camp East (128 single sites - 8 pp site - $20 )
Was $18 last year, many sites along the water line, hot showers $0.25, flush toilets, BBQ, firepits, etc) Most of the sites here have some type of trees / shade. some sights have more oom than others but the following ranges are good. Most of the sites below will have a 100 feet walk to the water, some less, some a bit more
13-25 (inside 5 mph )
77-82 ( inside 5 mph )
83-93 (outside 5 slightly further distance)
99-108 ( not inside 5, great view of lake )
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ma...ex=CampingSpot

Oak Knoll ( 50 single sites, 8 pp site - $14.00 )
Was only $12.00 last year, fewer sites on waterline, but some way larger in size and spread out. No hot showers and vault toilets. We usually end up camping here, less car traffic for kids to ride bikes, cove is inside a 5, showers in acorn east 1/4 mile ) . I would recommend driving through the campgrounds when & marking down your favorites. Some have a ton of space and others a have limited / no shade. Last year at its lowest point was likely a 250-300 yard walk to the boat from site 18/19 this year under a 100 if that.
Sites 14 - 19 ( all LARGE sites, 15 largest )
Sites 47 - 50 ( minimal shade, large, lots of distance between sites)
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ma...ex=CampingSpot.

Last edited by lzyboy; 04-24-2011 at 7:06 PM.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-24-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
Here's another shot of Oak Knoll 3 weeks go, the red circle is sites 14-19, sites 20/21 are the 2 metal canopies showing.
Attached Images

Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-24-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
Here's a couple of pics from 4/3.

First one shows Acorn East, sites 71-85 or so, small ramp far left of pic. The pic was taken across the cove fromthe day use area.

Second pic is from Acorn East campsite edge looking down to cove.

Third pic is the group camp area taken from Acorn East.

Mind you, come Late May or early June there won't be a green thing in site but the tree leaves. Of course this year it's hard to say with the way weather has been. We booked all our sites for the year at Acorn East in February and it was still $18 then. The waters edge sites are the first to go naturally.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Haven't been to Hogan in years, but I love that place. I'd pick it over Comanche 10:1

Delta is dangerous for everyone. That current can kill. Personally I'd stay away at all costs. LOL!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-29-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
Wife was asking about Berryessa also? We will be hitting up hogan this year..
Guido, I agree, wink, wink.............. not a place for kids or Wally's!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-30-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
Not sure if there are campsites anymore at Berryessa?

Berryessa can get just like any other lake......HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if you get there early you can get good water before 10. It should warm up quicker then the others also since it is all rain ill not snow melt..

And the Sac river flow changes all summer long, Not always bad currents all the time, But always currents.