Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have an 02 XStar that is just giving me fits trying to get the ballast set up right. I started with VDrive sacs in the rear lockers (no hard tanks) so let's say about 450# each, ~900 total when full. With them totally full, I had to get up to ~1100# in the bow, in addition to the locker sac to get the wake clean at 23.5 and 75'. The issue is that it gets a curl at the very top of the wake that the board grabs as it leaves the wake, even causing a splash of water as you take off.

I have now gone to side sacs in the rear, about 260# each and I run the bow triangle without the locker sac, and even with this the speed has to be literally no less than 23.5 (GPS calibrated PP). It actually even had a little curl with this plus the locker sac at 23.5 This is now about 500# in the rear and around 900# or so in the bow.

So, my question is does this seem crazy to anyone else? It does to me. I have read about people using the VDrive sacs with 500# or even less in the bow, and even some using 750's in the rear getting a great wake at speeds down to 22 and I don't understand how mine can be so different. This boat is supposed to be so easy to add weight to.

Any thoughts?

PS I have a 14.5X14.25 OJ prop, FWIW.