Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (matthewnunziata)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-07-2015, 3:50 PM Reply   
Hello, I was looking into both of these boats and was wondering what boat was better in the wakeboard category, the wakesurf category, comfort category and which one had better handling. I was also wondering which one would last longer and break down less.
Thanks
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       09-07-2015, 4:51 PM Reply   
lulz.....troll much? --->>http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805406
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-07-2015, 5:09 PM Reply   
On a side note you could buy two A20's for the same price so when you need maintenance or warranty work you'd have a spare, ffs.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Compare BMWs to Hondas much? The X20 is a better boat, but the Axis performs Extremely well and will have equal reliability for a much lower price.

If you can afford it, the X20 is a sick boat. If you want to save enough scratch to get a truck with it, get the Axis. You won't be disappointed by the performance.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-07-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
Looks like he just joined...might not know how to follow a thread?? hence started another one...
..I did it once...but I'm pretty stupid
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-08-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
As far as performance, both will be awesome boats. The X20 will have a big upper hand on wakeboarding. I've ridden the X25 and the X2, and the wakeboarding wake is just perfect on Mastercraft x series in general. I did try the A24, and surf wake was insane. I'd say the A20 wouldn't quite be an A24, but the surfing on an A20 would be equal or better to an X20, for a much lower price.
If you're primarily surfing, little wakeboard here and there, get the A20. If you're competitively wakeboarding, the X20 would be a better option by a good margin. That's my stance
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-08-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Go drive them both, and you make the call. There's a select few on this board who have even stepped foot in an X20 to give a worthwhile opinion, so go do that legwork yourself.

A20 is a cheap budget boat. X20 is a high end model of one of the flagship boat manufacturers. The only thing that you're comparing that is apples to apples here is the length of the boat.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
2016 A20 is supposed to be a new hull/boat, so this is going to be a hard comparison for us keyboard jockeys. I can only compare the 2015 A20 vs the 2015 X-20 (I believe the x-20 will be mostly unchanged for 2016).

My opinion after spending dozens of hours on both:

Price: Axis by 2x (A20 = 55ish, x-20 100+)
comfort/layout = toss up, both are wide and feel bigger than 20 feet, both layouts are similar in design, the A20 will look plain, the x-20 looks high-end and is, comfort wise is preference.
Helm, driver lay out = A20, very comfortable and ergonomic, I hated the driver helm layout of the X-20, but I am sure someone else will feel the opposite.
Handling choppy water = x-20 hand down. Very deep V hull, cuts through the chop and rollers easily.
Handling for every other category, turning, driving straight, full ballast turning, sharp turns, small turn adjustments = A20 all day every day.
weight sensitivity, side to side = A20 is not sensitive, X-20 is horrible (remember deep V hull on the X-20)
Wakeboard wake = A20 hands down.
Surf wave = X-20, both are good, but the X-20 is built as a surf boat so I am giving this to the X-20 even though I was not impressed.
Freeboard = X-20
Bow Rise = X-20 complete fail. Terrible, almost un-driveable, almost
in cab noise = same
bimini = x-20. mastercrafts bimini's this year are amazing. The Axis is easy to fold up and stow, takes a minute, but the X-20 took like 20 seconds. It is rad.
board racks = X-20.
interior quality = x-20, but barely. I mean barely. It is not that impressive for a $100K + boat. The rear lockers are on small hinges with a single thin strut, the door shakes and rocks. Plastic everywhere, that pushes away easily. I could not believe how much there was. These are the same things people complain about the Axis, but the Axis does not hide this fact and is part of the reason some people (like myself) went with Axis. The vinyl quality is really good now with the new Axis boats, but the X-20 is better, more depth to the patterns, on looks alone, the x-20 looks a lot nicer. X-20 seats are more firm.
Adjustable interior= X20. The folding backward seat that lays down like the other MC's is awesome. easy to use, very fast. The A20 has a sliding seat that is convenient, but has no back to it. Not sure if the A20 will have the chillax seat option, but I hope so because I like it. the X-20 is a walk through bow.
warranties= X-20
amount of shiny metal = x-20

These boats, other than size, are completely different in most ways. If you can afford a $105,000 20' wakeboat, then test drive both and you will know. If you like the X-20 then buy it. If you don't and you buy the A20 instead, take the remaining $50,000 and go buy yourself a matching 2016 Dodge 1500 diesel tow truck. Then take the remaining $10,000 and put it in the bank.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-09-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
I'm throwing this comment out there to see if anyone knows. The Axis is supposed to be a "budget" boat, but it seems like the prices have kept rising up every year to were it's no longer "budget" anymore. Almost too high again for a "budget" boat? I saw a T22 for 70k without the tax, etc. is this about right??
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-09-2015, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
2016 A20 is supposed to be a new hull/boat, so this is going to be a hard comparison for us keyboard jockeys. I can only compare the 2015 A20 vs the 2015 X-20 (I believe the x-20 will be mostly unchanged for 2016).

My opinion after spending dozens of hours on both:

Price: Axis by 2x (A20 = 55ish, x-20 100+)
comfort/layout = toss up, both are wide and feel bigger than 20 feet, both layouts are similar in design, the A20 will look plain, the x-20 looks high-end and is, comfort wise is preference.
Helm, driver lay out = A20, very comfortable and ergonomic, I hated the driver helm layout of the X-20, but I am sure someone else will feel the opposite.
Handling choppy water = x-20 hand down. Very deep V hull, cuts through the chop and rollers easily.
Handling for every other category, turning, driving straight, full ballast turning, sharp turns, small turn adjustments = A20 all day every day.
weight sensitivity, side to side = A20 is not sensitive, X-20 is horrible (remember deep V hull on the X-20)
Wakeboard wake = A20 hands down.
Surf wave = X-20, both are good, but the X-20 is built as a surf boat so I am giving this to the X-20 even though I was not impressed.
Freeboard = X-20
Bow Rise = X-20 complete fail. Terrible, almost un-driveable, almost
in cab noise = same
bimini = x-20. mastercrafts bimini's this year are amazing. The Axis is easy to fold up and stow, takes a minute, but the X-20 took like 20 seconds. It is rad.
board racks = X-20.
interior quality = x-20, but barely. I mean barely. It is not that impressive for a $100K + boat. The rear lockers are on small hinges with a single thin strut, the door shakes and rocks. Plastic everywhere, that pushes away easily. I could not believe how much there was. These are the same things people complain about the Axis, but the Axis does not hide this fact and is part of the reason some people (like myself) went with Axis. The vinyl quality is really good now with the new Axis boats, but the X-20 is better, more depth to the patterns, on looks alone, the x-20 looks a lot nicer. X-20 seats are more firm.
Adjustable interior= X20. The folding backward seat that lays down like the other MC's is awesome. easy to use, very fast. The A20 has a sliding seat that is convenient, but has no back to it. Not sure if the A20 will have the chillax seat option, but I hope so because I like it. the X-20 is a walk through bow.
warranties= X-20
amount of shiny metal = x-20

These boats, other than size, are completely different in most ways. If you can afford a $105,000 20' wakeboat, then test drive both and you will know. If you like the X-20 then buy it. If you don't and you buy the A20 instead, take the remaining $50,000 and go buy yourself a matching 2016 Dodge 1500 diesel tow truck. Then take the remaining $10,000 and put it in the bank.
Out of all the comments I have seen on this issue. This one is spot on with my opinion...and that is comparing it to my A22. The surf wake on the X-20 is pretty good. It is longer than my A22 but lacks a little of the height. Not enough to worry about though.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2015, 7:28 PM Reply   
In my opinion the axis throws a way better wake than MC. Just my opinion. And if u surf, surfgate is the best product on the market right now. Granted the axis doesn't have the most solid feel nor have all the fancy electronic bells n whistles
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-09-2015, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
In my opinion the axis throws a way better wake than MC. Just my opinion. And if u surf, surfgate is the best product on the market right now. Granted the axis doesn't have the most solid feel nor have all the fancy electronic bells n whistles
I have surfed both the x20 and my '14 A22. The X20 is definitely better. I have wakeboarded both and the A22 is better. That is not saying the X20 is bad, it just means the advantage went to the A22 while slammed.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-09-2015, 8:05 PM Reply   
If you have a 100k to giggle then the Malibu VTX is a better option than the A20 to compare to the X20