Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2016, 6:07 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding Familia -

Today I sold my 2010 Air Nautique 216 and test drove a 2014 Tige RZR.. I need some input

Great looking boat. decent price.. spacious.. but...

We tested the wakesurf first.. The boat has 1600 lbs of stock ballast.. We filled up the right side and it produced a pretty nice wake.. I was satisfied on the aspect.

We then tested the wake for boarding.. We had ballast full at 1600 lbs... roughly another 1000 in people... Running at 22.5 miles and hour and I speed up and backed down..The water was a little rough but not crazy..

I could not get the wake looking good to board on..

Is there something about Tige RZRs I dont know.. I wakebaord 70% of time and surf 30%. Is this a good option for me?

Thanks
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-19-2016, 4:48 AM Reply   
We had an rzr for 5 years. Loved that boat. Probably the best all around 20ft hull on the market except for maybe an a20.

It ski's okay. Run taps at 2/3.

Wakeboard wake is actually quite good but it is very sensitive. The weight hast to be 100% even side to side perfect 40/60 front to back. I would suggest plumbing in twin 600lb sacks up in the bow. This was our plan but traded the boat for an axis instead. I used to run a bow triangle about 2/3 full and stock ballast all full. If you look at my profile pic you'll get q good idea of what it looks like. Then you can run 21.5-23.5 and taps at 4 and you'll have a money wake for a 20 footer
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       06-19-2016, 1:34 PM Reply   
This came up in another thread, but i'll chime in again. Given the time I spent in them the RZR it was my least favorite, of all time. One wake was always a noticeably different shape than the other. The boat is also very laterally sensitive (left and right) to where the weight placed. It is so sensitive to the point when you cutting into the wake you can actually see the wake changing shape due the where the rider is pulling.

Just my $0.02
Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-19-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
We had an rzr for 5 years. Loved that boat. Probably the best all around 20ft hull on the market except for maybe an a20
We are also test driving an A20 this coming weekend.. I havent been in one yet.. How do you think the Axis compares to the Tige?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-19-2016, 6:25 PM Reply   
You are running too much aft ballast. With the 1600 lb surf ballast full, you had 1200 in the rear and only 400 in the bow. Thats whats wrong with the wake board wake. Need a more even split or even a 60/40 bow to aft ratio. For a better surf wave, swap the 350 lb surf sac for a 900 lbs.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-19-2016, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccamp2 View Post
We are also test driving an A20 this coming weekend.. I havent been in one yet.. How do you think the Axis compares to the Tige?
We went for a t22.

it was just time for a bigger boat. We took a hard look at z1. There was a lot of factors in the switch to the axis brand.
notable reasons were:
-Tige is on their 4th dealer in the northeast in 6 years (they shafted their largest steady dealer in the area so he dropped them, another went out of business, the third got some major realestate buy out and hit it rich and walked away ).
-We decided we did not want a touch screen
-PCM power plant
-we keep our boat several years and all that trick stitching blows out in a few years. Did not have this problem with our tige but we know better (looking at you, MC).
-we use out boat for watersports almost exclusively, so we do not need all the frills that come with a tige/nautique/MC

There are things I miss about the tige, and things I don't. They are a bit quirky to work on but they are built solid and will throw killer wakes if you take the time and know how to set them up.

heres what the wake looked like with:
Driver and passenger
125lb brick to balance the boat, you will need this for wake boarding as the boat is sensitive. p
650lb bow sack 3/4 full
stock ballast full (1600lbs)
Taps 4 at 22.0 mph
I am 6'1" for reference
Attached Images

Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-20-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
@simple and @tigemike thanks for the great feedback.

The wake doesn't look as rampy as my Nautique did but I am sure I can throw down with it.

How about get up and go. When I test drove the Tige, it took us a good 20 seconds to get up to 22MPH... I think this one has the smaller Indmar motor.

I did not look at the prop
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-20-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
I had an R2011 RZ2 (I think its very similar to the RZR), and I did not like the wakeboard wake.

1. I do not enjoy wakeboarding at 22.5mph to clean up the wake. (and kids will never have a chance at a clean wake)
2. The lip is nasty, a lot of good riders may like it, but just makes tricks inconsistent for me.
3. The boat is very tippy.
4. I love the looks/styling of Tige, and the surf wave is good.
5. Boat handles good also, and gets good fuel milage

We upgraded last year to a Malibu 23lsv, and I enjoy wakeboarding again. With an empty boat the wake cleans up about 17mph, and the kids/beginners love that!

If you want a boat for wakeboarding over surfing, you should demo some others in my opinion.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-20-2016, 2:38 PM Reply   
Have a couple hundred hours wakeboarding on a 2014 rzr here. We try, tweak and manipulate everything for finding different wakeboarding wakes all the time.

We can go anywhere from 17.4 with no ballast to as fast as desired with clean wake on both sides.

Generally speaking 60/40 is an accurate ratio for keeping it clean.

Taps 1-3 with 1 being the rampiest and 3 steepest.

For side to side, yes have to have it relatively balanced weight wise for both sides to be clean as with almost anything in this size range.

For surf purposes super simple to use, fill up surf side and go. A couple people on surf side or a bigger bag than factory in rear is best, but not required. Does it have vx?

Feel free to pm with any specific questions if you want.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-20-2016, 2:53 PM Reply   
Just read the 20 sec comment - yea, you were either very back heavy or did not have the taps down to 1 to plane out, or both.

Prop will certainly make a difference too.

And rz2 reference, similar design but they do ride entirely different for wakeboarding.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-20-2016, 4:30 PM Reply   
^^ all of this is true.

Our boat had 343 and 1631- put the plate at 1 to launch and you are fine out of the hole.

RZR hull is more like the new z1 than rz2
Old     (Giesh164)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-20-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
If wake boarding is your primary concern, I'd look for somthing else. I've road behind multiple rzrs and wasn't very impressed with the board wake. Like others have said, super super sensitive to side to side movement. You can get a clean wake but you'll be riding at 60', or going faster than you'd like. i don't know how others can say that the board wake is as good as other boats in its class. I've road a20's and vtx's, and those board wakes are leaps above an Rzr. Do your self a favor and make sure you try out different boats and you'll see. I let the mb boat owners forum influence my decision on buying an mb for wake boarding. All the owners said they were great wakes at slow speeds, super clean, blah blah blah. A great boat but was totally let down on the wake board wake performance. Sold it after 1/2 a year. Just don't let other Rzr owners tell you it's the greatest boat. They are just trying to feel good about the 70k they spent.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-20-2016, 8:17 PM Reply   
The main difference between Tigé and others on the market is the convex V hull. Therefore you need more weight up front than in the rear. Also TAPS should be between 1-3 for the rampy wake. 4-8 just makes it steep and lippy.60/40 works best and 21.5 to 22.5 works for 75 to 80' line length.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-20-2016, 8:39 PM Reply   
I really don't care for Tiges. We used an RZR for one contest a couple years back and it was a real let down. No one was impressed and 1/2 way through the day it broke down.

For wakeboarding there are much better
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       06-21-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Just get a new Nautique 210 , surf is great. Wakeboard wake is great. It will be hard coming off a nautique to go to something else.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2016, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesh164 View Post
Just don't let other Rzr owners tell you it's the greatest boat. They are just trying to feel good about the 70k they spent.
heh?

If that was my MO wouldn't I be pushing him into an axis? I am not a brand loyalist, to any brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I really don't care for Tiges. We used an RZR for one contest a couple years back and it was a real let down. No one was impressed and 1/2 way through the day it broke down.
I've been on an x25 when the motor's electronics took a dump and left us stranded in the middle. 25 hours.
I've had a 22 vlx malibu flood it's own hull from a defective raw water pump. 10 hours.
Been in an a22 that toasted its two rear most cylinders because it couldn't cool itself. The impeller was in tact. 120 hours.
Whats the point?

I am very curious at those of you who are complaining about them had them set up. I am literally giving you a road map of how to set them up for a clean wakeboard wake which was adapted from daniel watkin's set up. They are not Nautiques, Malibu's or older MCs that even a monkey could set up and get a clean wake. This is true of any deep V hulled boat, including but not limited to: New MC pickle fork boats, Tige, Centurion, MB, etc.

The rzr is extremely sensitive to weight placement. SIde to side it is as obnoxious to weight as a g21.

Last edited by simplej; 06-21-2016 at 8:27 AM.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
My point was that the one time we used a Tige for a contest everyone thought it sucked (which it did) and it broke down. It's my story and my experience with that boat. Did I say it will happen the OP? Did I say Tiges are junk? All I said was I personally don't like Tiges and told of my experience. If it bothers you, that's your problem. No one likes a crappy/washy/finicky wake for wakeboarding. I've been through that and it's all such a hassle.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
And like I said, you can't knock the boat until it has been set up properly. The current X star is much the same way- subpar wake for its class unless you have it correctly weighted. These boats are not flat hulled boats, it takes some time playing with things. After over 400 hours in one, I am laying out a road map for how to weight the boat correctly so that the OP can make a decision based on a properly weighted boat, rather than a quick dealer demo.

So again, what was the weight set up for those complaining so we can compare apples to apples?
Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-21-2016, 10:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I am not looking for a 60k boat I have to mess with a lot.. or worry about where my buddies are sitting..

I will have too at something else. Great looking boats though.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2016, 10:52 AM Reply   
If that's the goal then get a 2016+ a20, load it up and drop the wedge. Wake will barely flinch when you shuffle people around. They seem to be more sensitive with the wedge up.
Old     (Giesh164)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-21-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
The rzrs that I've rode, had the surf ballast option. Then we had the fly high 1100 triangle in the bow. On top of the cushions. Obviously it wasn't full to a complete 1100 because the smaller bow wouldn't allow it to. Taps were at 1 I believe, anything more the wake would get worse. We had to ride at 70' and 23 ish mph. At that speed and length, you'd land in the trough. Almost impossible to go wake to wake. Any less bow weight, the boat porpoised.
Smart choice for the OP to look at other boats for wake boarding. It's no fun to ride a tipsy wake