Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hi all, I have a business trip in Orlando and I'd like to go to OWC. Provided my flight lands on time I plan to go on February 29th. I'll probably only have an hour there before closing.

Here are a few things I have questions about:
1. Is 1 hour worth it?
2. How cold will the water be? Should I bring a wetsuit. (I hate being cold.)
3. I have never ridden cable before but have ridden for years behind the boat. Should I stay on the beginner course?

If you have any other thoughts or things you wish you'd known, I would genuinely appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-18-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
1. 1 hour is worth it yes
2. Water will probably be high 60's low 70's. It's usually windy so a wetsuit would be good if you can't handle those temps.
3.the staff there are very helpful. They will give you the hints you need to improve quickly.I had only ridden cable once previously and found the beginner course too easy. IF you have ridden behind a boat for years go to the regular side and start with the easy obstacles and work your way up.

I would also recommend renting your equipment ie board,helmet and CGA Vest as it's expensive to carry them on the plane.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-18-2016, 3:14 PM Reply   
Definitely worth it. They close at 6pm for the rest of this month. I wear a long sleeve wetsuit top. And right now you would definitely want something. Hard to say on the 29th with the warm weather we keep getting.

I would take a lap on the easy course and if you feel comfortable then move over. Although there are some smaller ramps on the beginner side. But it runs significantly slower. So I think it's a decision you should make when you get there.
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-18-2016, 6:43 PM Reply   
Definitely start on the beginner cable, the slower speed allows you to get used to the turns and obstacles. If you haven't ridden cable before, grab a kneeboard first to get a feel for it. The advanced obstacles are intimidating, especially if you're only used to riding behind boats.

If you have a solid hour, you'll be fine. Call them ahead of time to get the waivers and first time stuff done ahead of time to allow you to pay and go.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-19-2016, 5:30 AM Reply   
1. Yes, totally worth it.
2. Answered above. Personally I rode without one in late November and early December. Right now my local cable is about 40, so high 60's sounds lovely to me
Definitely start on the beginner cable.
Can you do a standing dock start?
Are you goofy or regular? Goofy is easier as you just take a heel side edge around the corners.
It takes time to get a feel for the corners, the 90 degree ones can be very unforgiving.
Have you ever hit obstacles?

You'll pick it up pretty quickly, I would not bother with a kneeboard, you can figure out the corners on a wakeboard, I would only suggest a kneeboard so someone who is a complete beginner.

If you are a competent rider and you've never ridden cable / hit obstacles, I think you could ride the beginner cable for an hour an not get bored. Small rail, little kickers and wedges regular and switch, try 180's , 360's .......

Try to get as much prep, waivers etc. completed before land and watch as many instructional video's as you can.

Standing start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nZW2ZxegU

1st: osbtacle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobi1_a36gU
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2016, 5:48 AM Reply   
You can fill the waiver out online to save time.

https://app.rockgympro.com/waiver/es...4-56e408bfd783
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-19-2016, 12:10 PM Reply   
Not sure if it works with your time/budget...but recently had a similar opportunity and opted to spend the hour with Shaun Murray at OWC instead of trying cable for the first time. OWC is legendary, but given I've never done cable I figured I can try that first at some of my local cable places. Being a relatively new rider, and a DIEHARD lover of wakeboarding, I couldn't pass up the chance to ride and be coached by such a legend in the sport. It is pricey and again not sure it'll work in your schedule, but one of the most amazing experiences I've had on the water!

Here's a quick vid the folks at OWC did of my ride with Shaun. Was raining like crazy at times, was all very new to me and was bit nervous so didn't ride too well...but none of that mattered...seriously fun and talented guy and was such a blast!

Last edited by SteeleAxis; 02-19-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great tips, videos and information guys! I super appreciate that help and community here.

Matt, I'd love to ride with Murray and get some coaching. Awesome video! My OWC visit is dependent on my flight being on time as I get in at 4:30 and they close at 6:00. I'm hoping I can quickly hop a cab to OWC and get an hour in there. If I dropped big coin for Murrary and my flight was delayed I probably wouldn't be able to make it back up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-19-2016, 12:42 PM Reply   
Bummer that you only have an hour. You'll be wanting way more. It's like the excitement of learning to wakeboard all over again. Just make sure you let off of your edge before you ride up the kicker!
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       02-19-2016, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting! That is awesome! I have always wanted to meet Shaun Murray...my favorite rider. I am sure you had a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleAxis View Post
Not sure if it works with your time/budget...but recently had a similar opportunity and opted to spend the hour with Shaun Murray at OWC instead of trying cable for the first time. OWC is legendary, but given I've never done cable I figured I can try that first at some of my local cable places. Being a relatively new rider, and a DIEHARD lover of wakeboarding, I couldn't pass up the chance to ride and be coached by such a legend in the sport. It is pricey and again not sure it'll work in your schedule, but one of the most amazing experiences I've had on the water!

Here's a quick vid the folks at OWC did of my ride with Shaun. Was raining like crazy at times, was all very new to me and was bit nervous so didn't ride too well...but none of that mattered...seriously fun and talented guy and was such a blast!

Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       02-19-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleAxis View Post

That looks like an incredible experience,
thanks for sharing
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-21-2016, 5:50 PM Reply   
OWC is a lot of fun. 1 hour is fine for your first time out, as you will be sore (core) from that first hour unless you are in wakeboard shape. The beginner cable is slow and there are no obstacles on the one side so it can get tiring with no fun. Get to the advanced cable as soon as you feel comfortable.

I haven't been to Odub in almost 2 years so i checked their site. Are you renting a board or bringing your own? the price on that 2 hour pass and slider board rental may not be worth it if you are only getting it 1 hour in.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Depending on where your at in O town might be an easier trip to McCormicks! Just a thought.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-22-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Go, spend the money OWC is awesome. If you don't go you will say in a month from now you should a went
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-22-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
While I don't think that 1 hour is enough time it is definitely worth it. I went to my first cable in Austin during a trip last fall when we had 4 hours to burn. Let me tell you 4 hours wasn't enough, its a blast and extremely addicting! I wasn't tired from riding at all just all of the swimming. That is something people don't tell you is to be prepared to swim. If anything you should see if you can catch an earlier flight.