Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-30-2015, 2:49 AM Reply   
I have been riding for a couple of years now but still consider myself a novice, really don't get out anywhere near enough. Anyway I have a 2013 Ronix One and while I know its a good board I was watching a video someone took of me and it really doesn't seem like I am getting much more height than I used to on an LF Omega. Sometimes it feels like I get really good pop but its not every time.

Also, when I go for grabs I don't feel as though I have any extra hang time, if anything I feel like I have less time because I tend to wait until I am in the air and settled before going for a grab but by that stage I am on my way back down.

My main question is should I stick it out with the Ronix and try to develop to the point where I can really use it or should I step it back a little and go for something less abrupt. It seems that nearly all the pro's are riding 3 stage boards, most pretty aggressive rocker lines too and while I know I am never going pro, if I am really going to get the most out of wakeboarding is that the direction I should be following. Also I only ride behind a fairly small wake
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-30-2015, 5:01 AM Reply   
I think u should be fine on that ronix board. Just a matter of u putting in the time and riding with the correct technique. Obviously wake size goes into equation for how much u pop but technique even more so. What line length and speed are u riding? Those also have a huge impact. Play around with that make sure with the line length your riding that your hitting the sweet spot on that wake. Adjust other areas of your riding to see if that helps.
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-30-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
just my 2c
I used to have a Ronix Parks Ibex. Loved the board for soft landings and being able to pull out of any sloppy landing (just like Parks). But I was getting very inconsistent pop. Either I would get launched, or I would get a jump just high enough to clear the wake. I am a low-intermediate rider. I met a pro rider (Clayton Underwood) who upon seeing me on the board said "I've only seen one guy who could ride that board ... Parks" That comment made me reconsider and I bought a continuous rocketed Ronix William. For me anyway this move really helped with my jump consistency and allowed me to start progressing as I didn't have to concentrate so much on just getting air.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-30-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
Nope. Stick with it - Height is all about technique. You're better off putting $$$ into some good coaching! I ride a tiny wake (comparatively) but I've ridden the One and it is consistent and poppy enough on small wakes, so I don't think that's the issue.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-30-2015, 9:08 PM Reply   
* Sorry I meant Yep! Stick with it!
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-31-2015, 2:42 AM Reply   
Cheers guys. I am riding at around 70ft at 24mph going off my boats speedo, I haven't checked it against a gps yet. I still have the Omega so I can go back and forth between the two but I remember riding it behind my mates MC 205 and thinking "man I wish I was on my One." The wake on my boat is a bit washy and inconsistent but I am working with different weights to get it where I want so that could be the other problem. And my lack of skill
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-31-2015, 5:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
I am riding at around 70ft at 24mph going off my boats speedo,
slow down! A fully loaded G23 or Xstar is plenty clean at 23 or slower!.. you shouldn't need to go that fast unless your boat is absolutely slammed with weight or you enjoy hurting yourself when you fall.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
Sounds like the speedo might be off. I ride my A22 at 70 feet at 22mph.

But I agree that pop is all about technique, or more specifically, your timing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-31-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
Not all boats (especially older boats) can clean up at slower speeds.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-31-2015, 9:22 PM Reply   
Yeah I think my speedo is out but I don't like riding any slower anyway and as said above, any slower and the wake isn't real clean
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-31-2015, 9:56 PM Reply   
That is actually the characteristic of the ONE board. you really have to be on it and aware of where you're popping. The latest design is much more forgiving, but you still have to have the correct body position for it to boost you up every time. If you like the pop you get when you do hit it on the money check out the code 22. Much more consistent popping than the One.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-01-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah I think my speedo is out but I don't like riding any slower anyway and as said above, any slower and the wake isn't real clean
Get a GPS app for a smartphone and check the speed.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-06-2015, 12:46 PM Reply   
Took the boat out this weekend and checked the speedo with a gps app on my phone. Turns out the speedo on my boat is about 5mph fast. I ride at 20mph according to the gps speedo. Also played with weight location and got the wake much cleaner. I didn't ride as I hurt my back last time I went out and it's still recovering
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-06-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Took the boat out this weekend and checked the speedo with a gps app on my phone. Turns out the speedo on my boat is about 5mph fast. I ride at 20mph according to the gps speedo. Also played with weight location and got the wake much cleaner. I didn't ride as I hurt my back last time I went out and it's still recovering
20mph is a much saner speed for a new rider.. 21-22 if you're running some weight.