Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2019, 2:03 AM Reply   
I am considering a new boat and looking hard at the Moomba Helix. Unfortunately the local dealer here in Birmingham AL does not have a demo of that model. They’ve only sold a couple to local customers, so the rep is exploring those options to see if they’d be willing to show me their boat but didn’t seem hopeful that would be the best fit.

Obviously not going to purchase a boat that I haven’t had the ability to test the wake.

I would be willing to drive some distance to get to one. If anyone has one, knows of someone with one, or if there are any SE US area dealers on here that have a demo you wouldn’t mind showing me, I would be willing to travel to you and to pay you for your time/fuel.

I just need to see how the wake performs (10-15 mins) of wakeboarding, and would like to drive the boat for a bit. I would want to test stock ballast, and if you don’t have upgraded ballast I would like to bring some extra bags I have to really jam it full (I would plan to upgrade to the 1100s that wakemakers has for that boat) if you would be so kind as to let me do that for a 10-15 min pull.

Would also want to measure a few things like height/width on trailer with tower folded (for storage measurements).

Thanks in advance Wakeworld!

You can contact me at:
(816) 516-4218
dustin.m.yost@gmail.com
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2019, 4:13 AM Reply   
do they not have the boat in stock?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2019, 7:07 AM Reply   
No they don’t. And they haven’t sold but a few of them either is my understanding. Most of their market here is Lake Martin where people tend to opt for bigger boats and have more $$.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2019, 7:29 AM Reply   
get skier's choice involved. you're essentially ready to buy and they can't find you a boat??? looks like there's 3 dealers in AL, 2 of which are connected
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2019, 8:43 AM Reply   
I have asked my rep to check with them. Maybe there have a boat could be put in the water near the factory. Knoxville would only be 3.5 hrs drive.
Old     (Bigbama)      Join Date: Jan 2018 Location: Central Bama       07-25-2019, 1:50 PM Reply   
I bought my 2019 Max from Skiers Marine in Westover. They used to have an all black Helix but that was earlier in the year so it's likely gone by now unless they've moved it off to their other stores out of state. Sorry I don't have a Helix to help. What lake do you boat on?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2019, 4:01 PM Reply   
Bigbama,

Primarily ride on Coosa river right at Childrrsburg or Lake Martin. Hit Smith a few times last year but haven’t been up yet this season. Also talking with Skiers at Westover. They don’t have any Helix, but do have an all black 2019 max at one of the other branches. Sales guy offered me a demo on the Max, which could be a possibility but I’d like to demo the Helix first, and if the wake is sufficient, the 20.5’ package on single axle trailer works so much better for my current storage situation and will be easier on my 2015 2.7L eco boost, plus side benefits of lighter fuel use and less expensive boat.

Getting into the 22+ ft category would force me into different storage options and there really doesn’t seem to be anything good that is fully enclosed near Hoover/Chelsea/Childersburg. I’d like to keep close to the river so we can get quick morning runs and evenings after work without going all the way down to Martin.

Know of any options on/near Lay Lake?
Couldn’t find anything near Logan Martin, I will not store a new boat, or even my 89 Supra Sunsport in a lean-to. If you wanna keep the vinyl nice you gotta open everything up and dry it out good each use vs just throw the cover on a wet boat.