Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
So I'd like to sell my boat, and the local market is saturated with like models, years, prices and seems none are moving as they have all been on clist locally for about 4 months. We don't need a new boat as ours is all good but wouldn't mind upgrading if the we could sell ours. Have only had one call since Halloween.

Trouble is I don't see ours selling before the season unless I drop the price well below the market. That being said is there a typical trade in value on boats in good shape that is say a percentage below private buyer to buyer price? Say my boat is worth 27K what would I expect a dealer to offer for trade in value like 20? I don't have a dealer within a 1/2 hour drive and my boat is buttoned up for the winter so wondering if there's some info here before I drive it to a dealer for their assessment, which will ultimately get me my answer but thought a conversation on here could shed some more light.

I'd like to jump on some of the remaining 15s on the local lots if I could.

Thanks!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-27-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
I've traded in a couple boats but never had to drive the boat in. Always negotiated a trade by just sending a few photos.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-27-2016, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have an awesome dealer NW Boat Sports. Last couple boats I just dropped of for them to sell when I placed my order for new. They asked what I wanted and minimum I would take. Gave me a signed contract stating they would give me my minimum in trade if they did not sell it before new one came in.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-27-2016, 6:00 PM Reply   
Trade-ins have a few upsides. 1-it's a sure sell. 2 - The dealer will deduct your trade value from the new purchase when calculating sales tax. 3 - Dealers understand the nature of "as-is" better than a private buyer who wants a used boat that has no signs of wear.
The obvious downside is you take a 20-30% hit on price. I always sell and buy private.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2016, 8:11 PM Reply   
I think it depends on your dealer, I just traded in a 2006 xstar and the trade in value was just over 40k with the tax savings on the new boat, they have the boat listed for 46k. I purchased a 2016 Axis A20 and they gave me a very fair price on that also. It was a win,win for me since I had the Star listed for a year for 42k and had 1 call.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-27-2016, 8:12 PM Reply   
If you really are in the upper 20's range on value of your boat you may be surprised at trade in value. A dealer can move a boat in that price range real quick and getting the new unit sale to you is worth making next to nothing in your trade. It's worth the call to the dealer to see.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-27-2016, 9:57 PM Reply   
Your biggest problem is the time of year that it still is. Your boat will sell at the right time of year if its priced well enough. If you're looking for the best avenue for trade up on a budget, you gotta sell when the market is red hot between March-June in Cali and then sit out the rest of the season until you can take advantage of holdover models in November/December when the dealers already winterized everyone's boat and have nothing going on other than worrying about how they're gonna get rid of last year's models. Mooch rides off of friends etc. for a summer. Otherwise, pay the piper. I just bought a 2015 holdover in late November. After all the dust settled, I got it for 5K less than dealer cost according to seedealercost.com The earlier point made about the sales tax advantages of trading in was worth considering too. Good luck.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-28-2016, 5:04 AM Reply   
NADA on my last boat was $21.5Kish. Dealer offered me $16K trade in. Dealer then convinced me to try and sell it on consignment which I agreed to. That went sour with lack of communication and requirements in order to sell on consignment (had to be in flawless condition and any and all repairs were on my tab).

Moral of the story is with the repair costs and the dealer fee, I would be right around the trade in value in my pocket selling on consignment. Picking it up this weekend to put on private sale.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-28-2016, 6:32 AM Reply   
Awesome info thanks fellas. I think I'll drag it up to the dealer and see what they will offer, Great points Mark on selling in spring then buying in fall, just not gonna sit out a season because well boating is awesome and we may have lakes again this year in California this summer! Thanks again everyone this has been helpful!