Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-08-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYyJQc9B9Or/

Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       09-08-2017, 12:36 PM Reply   
SO. SICK. Ever since Brad Smeele's double T2B Wake has gone INSANE!!!! with doubles.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            09-09-2017, 10:50 AM Reply   
Didn't Parks do this like 10 years ago?
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-09-2017, 8:08 PM Reply   
2004 and 2011 according to parx on ig
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-09-2017, 8:25 PM Reply   
And Steel is still without a board-sponsor, if I'm correct...?!
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-10-2017, 5:06 PM Reply   
Parks was in the boat and going ham when Steel landed it. So sick.

Anywhere to see the full reel of TOTY nominees?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayotte View Post
Parks was in the boat and going ham when Steel landed it. So sick.

Anywhere to see the full reel of TOTY nominees?
Good question. Back in the day the general public used to have fast access to all of the awards / winners, and even all of the entries. Now it seems like there's no interest in sharing this with the general public.

I know that Harley got boat rider of the year. Dean won something but he didn't say what it was.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-11-2017, 10:45 AM Reply   
The wakeboard industry is so weird. It's not like this in freeskiing or mountain biking. Coverage is generally wall to wall on any event, comp, season awards etc. Granted they are bigger industries (aside from the boat manufacturer aspect) but there are still tons of hardcore fans out there that want to absorb media like this.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-11-2017, 10:48 AM Reply   
Here is the link of all the winners from wake awards.

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/2017-...omment-link-to
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2017, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake2snow View Post
Here is the link of all the winners from wake awards.

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/2017-...omment-link-to
Thank you!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
I think dowdy was robbed on TOTY. The double mobe deal has been done before so its nothing new by any stretch of the imagination. Granted he grabbed it but a double bankroll to blind at the last second in my eyes is a way harder trick. The double roll to revert is almost a natural momentum as turning the 180 helps you initiate the second flip more easily. Then adding another 180 to it is just a simple pull of the handle in the same direction your already moving. In the double roll to blind the momentum isn't already initiated and must be done so while in the air.

Rant Over.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2017, 12:58 PM Reply   
I see what you're saying but it is what it is. I'm kinda 5050 on this one. The two tricks in my eyes were both ground breaking. I know Parks pulled the double mobe before but I really believe Steels was next level. About the whole momentum thing, I cant believe he was about to pull that last 180 like he did. Seemed like there was no line tension at all. So I wouldn't say Dowdy was robbed but I did feel bad for him. I'm sure he thought had toty locked down until this happened. BTW the double T2bs were insane too.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-11-2017, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Dean won something but he didn't say what it was.
Yeah I saw that. But nothing on the wbm page.

Last edited by tripsw; 09-11-2017 at 1:13 PM.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            09-11-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I think dowdy was robbed on TOTY. The double mobe deal has been done before so its nothing new by any stretch of the imagination. Granted he grabbed it but a double bankroll to blind at the last second in my eyes is a way harder trick. The double roll to revert is almost a natural momentum as turning the 180 helps you initiate the second flip more easily. Then adding another 180 to it is just a simple pull of the handle in the same direction your already moving. In the double roll to blind the momentum isn't already initiated and must be done so while in the air.

Rant Over.
I'm with you. That was my first thought.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2017, 7:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post

Rant Over.
Yep just yank on the handle after a double RTR and you got that double mobe. Amateur hour move.

Easier to land blind than wrapped up like Steel did, IMO.

Toss up either way. Dowdy wasn't robbed.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-13-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
I definitely think steels was more legit than Parks 2 that he landed. First of all he went much higher off the double up, second he grabbed all the way around, and both of Parks were ungrabbed, and finally he cased the landing slightly, landed wrapped (more style imo) and the casing of the wake is super tricky to ride away from especially after a double flip 360.

Dowdy has bad luck in contests, video comps, and just about everything. I feel as if he should have run many tour stops, also X games, and a number of other things over the years.

On the other hand I am happy for steel as he hasn't won a bunch of things but is a great rider, with great influence for the sport.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2017, 7:40 AM Reply   
(personally I think we were all robbed...since the montage hasn't been made public & I'm itching to see the entries)
No other sport would let this happen SMH Wake Industry
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
Steele's Double Mute moves is easily the sickest thing I have seen this year. It executed well on every measurable level. It's only weakness (if you could call it one) is that it followed a logical progression. You could expect it to come from someone eventually. By comparison, Dowdys: Roll to blind--to gainer thing a few years ago wasn't logical at all.

It is all subjective and it doesn't necessarily have to be completely new to be trick of the year--IMO

To add. For everyone it is different, but I can do roll to blinds all day. But I have tried a mute mobe behind the boat landing funny wrap and gotten destroyed. The grab and the landing changes everything. I couldn't fathom adding an extra flip to either of them.

Last edited by skiboarder; 09-13-2017 at 9:37 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
Dowdy was robbed when a cable trick beat out his 1260 a couple years ago. Or was it last year? That was way more of a robbing than this could ever be.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-13-2017, 1:59 PM Reply   
I find it hilarious that Steel won... and the next day it inspired Harley to go out and try a indy temper tantrum to blind no double up and stuck it first try supposedly... I mean quite honestly that is more impressive than Steel's but obviously just after the competition... Not to take anything away from Steel's Mute Double Mobe.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-13-2017, 2:37 PM Reply   
Harley landed the double T2b before steel won... and steel already landed a double T2B, albeit on a double up.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-14-2017, 6:56 AM Reply   
*grabs popcorn*
Watching Harley/Dowdy/Steel/Cory/Tony all push this stuff to the next level is entertaining AF.

If you follow kiteboarding you can feel their top athletes being influenced by them as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2017, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
*grabs popcorn*
Watching Harley/Dowdy/Steel/Cory/Tony all push this stuff to the next level is entertaining AF.

If you follow kiteboarding you can feel their top athletes being influenced by them as well.
Absolutely. Those guys all supercharged progression. I'm loving Wakeboarding more than ever. Never in the history of the sport have we had a group of competitors like focused on progression.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-14-2017, 9:45 AM Reply   
Exhibit A
Imagine showing this to someone in 1999 lol

Games of WAKE - Mike Dowdy vs. Cory Teunissen by WakeboardingMag
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2017, 6:21 AM Reply   
Found this when looking around as well. Wakeskating trick of the year

2017 Indmar Wakeskate Trick of the Year by WakeboardingMag