Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
Please revive this thread. I love the boat. Still taking fakesetter decal donations? If so, I got 5 on it.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2012, 9:42 PM Reply   
awesome!!!!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-23-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
You guys rock, not everyone has 50k to put into a boat, some sweat, some cash, time, and some fun. I am a fan, keep us posted on a direction and I will help out in any way I can.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
I am in. Can we start a wakeworld donation? Admin, how can we do this?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
Hey everyone had a fantastic day today!

So here's where we are at with the project.......

-Bought a used 1984 Mercury 75 oil injected outboard (check previous post) - to be installed next week.
-Today I bought a new steering cable, impeller, water pump gasket kit, and some spark plugs from iboats.com. Got fantastic customer service from them and would definitely do business there again. Will intstall next week
-Bought an amp, 12" sub (came with a box to go in a truck), and wiring for 50 bucks
-Bought another amp for 30 bucks to power the 4 in boat speakers

Decided to go without a head unit in this next setup. Going to run an 1/8" cable from iPhone into RCA to two amps using splitters. Both amps are around 300 watts which is exactly what I'm looking for. These boats have 9 amp charging systems, not 100 amp alternators. Gotta have the tunes, but can't run huge amps.

-picked up the boat from a friends house and now it sits in the garage awaiting some work to it.

I sure appreciate those willing to pitch in to make the fakesetter decals.
If a mod decides to organize something and it all works out I would be very grateful to the wakeworld community.

Here's a pic just after I got her home and into the garage where she can get worked on.
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Dangit for some reason the pic is upside down haha. Sorry guys
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
edit: weird......... on my iphone the pic is upside down. on firefox its the right way
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-24-2012, 10:28 PM Reply   
well tonight I made a sub box out of mdf.... it will end up getting covered with truck bed liner spray sometime this week. Hooked up the two amps and we have 4 in boat speakers and the 12" sub blasting away.

Tomorrow's job..... vacuum the boat and clean up all the cables!
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
I think what we should do is, once the boat is back up and running, everyone scounge in their garages/attics for spare stuff that we can mail over to have installed on the Fakesetter. I have a DIY light bar that one of my friends made that would fit the tower perfectly. I'll send that over. Surely, someone else has a head unit laying around that they could send too, perhaps a set of racks.... We need a WW sponsored Pimp My Ride.

Seriously, I know you guys are horders like I am. Let's spread the love!

Last edited by chattwake; 04-25-2012 at 6:12 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
I will see what I got or be happy to make a donation if someone figures out a way to take it. We really need someone that does decals/stickers to step up and volunteer to do the FAKESETTER decals and get them sent to him.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
hey guys thanks for the kind words.... the kindness expressed here is noticed.

so here's the scoop on the decal.

i went to a local shop today to get a quote (see attached pic) so u know it's legit

the guy said it will be around $200 bucks installed for both sides.

if we had 20 guys volunteer 10 bucks it would take care of it pretty quick.
not that I'm opposed to pitching in either....

to those who want to donate let's make a list kind of like this:

1. User name - how much you would like to donate.

ie: (1. bigairboarder - $10)

make sure to copy the last post and then add the next line for your own so it eventually looks like this....

ie:

1. bigairboarder - $10
2. ilikeboarding -$10
3. boardingisfun - $10
4. iplaythecowbellonmytige - $10

if we hit the $200 mark I will pm those user names that we have with the email address for my paypal and express my thanks. when the payments are in we'll head down to the shop and get it done.

how does that sound to everyone??

ps. this iphone is ticking me off haha. the pics are always goofy.
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-25-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
iplaythecowbellonmytige - $10
I literally laughed out loud at this.

I think when you're done you should take a legit pic of it and your crew, sign your thanks and mail copies to the donators. I know I would love a pic of that thing in my garage!

Count me in for $10.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
1. Brett33 -$10

Thanks Brett. And for sure I will send a pic out as a way of saying thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
1. Brett33 -$10
2. Diggs - $10

Can we give this to our accountant as a charitable donation? Ha ha. Kidding
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-25-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
gotwake133-$10

before my family got our nautique, I spend many years behind our little fishing boat. So stoked to see such an awesome thing going on here!!!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-25-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
1. Brett33 - $10
2. Diggs - $10
3. Gotwake133 - $10
4. Houstonshark - $10

Here are just a few things I have laying around off the top of my head I'd be willing to donate if you can use them on the boat:

JL ANL Fuse holder
JL Maxi fused distro block (1 in, 2 out)
As much speaker wire as you need
12' JL 4ch RCA
New windshield bracket and mirror

I know I have more stuff laying around. It might be easier if you give us an idea of the things you need.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Two years ago after buying a used Hyperlite board off craigslist and not having bindings that fit, Robert Mitchell (2006maliblue) sent me a larger pair for the cost of shipping. It was that giving nature that really impressed me about the community on here, and this thread highlights that again.

Too often we sit here and debate wake and trim of 70k+ boats, when in reality nothing close to that is needed to have fun wakeboarding. Awesome thread revival, and glad to hear your boat is close to being back on the water.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2012, 11:39 PM Reply   
1. Brett33 - $10
2. Diggs - $10
3. Gotwake133 - $10
4. Houstonshark - $10
5. johnnydefacto- $10

sorry, no hoarding in my house so i have nothing to add to your boat
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I think what we should do is, once the boat is back up and running, everyone scounge in their garages/attics for spare stuff that we can mail over to have installed on the Fakesetter. I have a DIY light bar that one of my friends made that would fit the tower perfectly. I'll send that over. Surely, someone else has a head unit laying around that they could send too, perhaps a set of racks.... We need a WW sponsored Pimp My Ride.

I love this idea!

I have a pair of Krypt HLCDs in DIY cans I'll throw in, just sitting in my garage and nobody seems to want to buy them anyway, lol.

Someone start a Fakesetter Extreme Boat Makeover thread?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
Let me know on the audio and wiring side. I've got a couple boxes of stuff pulled out of vehicles.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
wow.... 24 hours in and we are already 1/4 of the way there. Thanks to you 5 people who stepped up so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Can we give this to our accountant as a charitable donation? Ha ha. Kidding
Ha that's funny I just got my taxes done too. Thanks for the donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwake133 View Post
gotwake133-$10
before my family got our nautique, I spend many years behind our little fishing boat. So stoked to see such an awesome thing going on here!!!
Someday the fakesetter will be passed on to another family who needs it and I hope to be riding behind a Nautique too! Thanks for the 10 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
New windshield bracket and mirror

I know I have more stuff laying around. It might be easier if you give us an idea of the things you need.
Hey thanks for the donation. I could definitely use a mirror that has a windshield mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Two years ago after buying a used Hyperlite board off craigslist and not having bindings that fit, Robert Mitchell (2006maliblue) sent me a larger pair for the cost of shipping. It was that giving nature that really impressed me about the community on here, and this thread highlights that again.

Too often we sit here and debate wake and trim of 70k+ boats, when in reality nothing close to that is needed to have fun wakeboarding. Awesome thread revival, and glad to hear your boat is close to being back on the water.
Great story. Tell you what.... the fit and finish on my boat is just as good as any other beater!!! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
1. Brett33 - $10
2. Diggs - $10
3. Gotwake133 - $10
4. Houstonshark - $10
5. johnnydefacto- $10

sorry, no hoarding in my house so i have nothing to add to your boat
haha you must be married then. thanks for the donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
I love this idea!

I have a pair of Krypt HLCDs in DIY cans I'll throw in, just sitting in my garage and nobody seems to want to buy them anyway, lol.

Someone start a Fakesetter Extreme Boat Makeover thread?
hmmmmm...... I tried to run regular 6.5" speakers on the tower and they weren't loud enough to hear when riding. But some HLCD's would probably work. Do you think maybe we could get those Krypt HLCD's signed by Ken Land himself???? lol just kidding. I'm really pumped that you would consider donating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
Let me know on the audio and wiring side. I've got a couple boxes of stuff pulled out of vehicles.
Thanks for the heads up cowboy!!!

Today during my lunch hour I took the boat out of the garage and down to the car wash. The outside was aweful and the carpet was disgusting. 15 bucks worth of wash on the carpet alone.

The sub box is done.... once the carpet is dry she's going back in the garage where I can install the system!!!
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post

hey Chatt those lights sound perfect..... all I would need after that is a disco ball to hang on the tower!!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
Someone needs to donate a stripper pole...
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Someone needs to donate a stripper pole...
haha before that line of thought gets too far I recommend you open up my wakeworld profile and view my occupation
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
Post your address Dwight so we can get this stuff shipped out. Are you good on wiring for te stereo?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Box 464 - if using USPS
101 Finlay Place - if using UPS
Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada
S0E 1E0

Stereo is all wired up unless Ian_Ashton sends the Krypt HLCD's. If that happens I would be looking for about 15 feet of wire for +12 volt to amp, 15 feet of wire for ground from amp, and some decent speaker wire (~24 feet) to run the HLCD's.

Thanks again TJ
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Just thought I would throw this out there..... one of the things I am looking for is a depth finder setup. We do some riding in a river where the sandbars change. If anyone has one they're sitting on I would be interested in it.

and thanks again to these 5 who are donating to the decal job!

1. Brett33 - $10
2. Diggs - $10
3. Gotwake133 - $10
4. Houstonshark - $10
5. johnnydefacto- $10
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
haha before that line of thought gets too far I recommend you open up my wakeworld profile and view my occupation
Ha. I guess I should have looked! Stripper poles, much like guns are not bad. It's all about how they are used...

Anyway, you are running 2 amps right? You'll need to distribute the power to them, unless you already have the wiring done for one.

I'll get you the speaker wire, 2ga power wire with fuse holder and fuse, battery terminals, and power disto with fuses. I think the only ground wire I have is 1/0 so if someone could send that, and ground distro you should be set.

Are you going to turn the amps on with the ignition or with a switch? I have a Perko switch if you could use it but it's probably overkill. I should have some turn on wire to send also.

I'll try to get it all sent out tomorrow.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Anyway, you are running 2 amps right? You'll need to distribute the power to them, unless you already have the wiring done for one.

I'll get you the speaker wire, 2ga power wire with fuse holder and fuse, battery terminals, and power disto with fuses. I think the only ground wire I have is 1/0 so if someone could send that, and ground distro you should be set.

Are you going to turn the amps on with the ignition or with a switch? I have a Perko switch if you could use it but it's probably overkill. I should have some turn on wire to send also.

I'll try to get it all sent out tomorrow.
yup running two amps (one for in boat speakers and one for sub) and I will have to find a third amp amp if those HLCD's are sent my way for the tower.

i have already tested the entire system and it works so the only power wire I would need is if I have a third amp.

Amps are turned on by a switches on the dash for the remote turn on. They are already installed from before the boat flipped. So I have that wire already.

Speaking of perko switches, I dont' think this is what you meant but I'm looking for a perko 1-both-2-off switch for the two batteries I'm running. To switch back and forth between the two batteries.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
just finished the sub box. Got about 7 layers of spray in box liner from an aerosol can on there.

Just gotta mount the amps on the side of it and install it in the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (miklept)      Join Date: May 2010       04-26-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
PM Sent...
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
yup running two amps (one for in boat speakers and one for sub) and I will have to find a third amp amp if those HLCD's are sent my way for the tower.

i have already tested the entire system and it works so the only power wire I would need is if I have a third amp.

Amps are turned on by a switches on the dash for the remote turn on. They are already installed from before the boat flipped. So I have that wire already.

Speaking of perko switches, I dont' think this is what you meant but I'm looking for a perko 1-both-2-off switch for the two batteries I'm running. To switch back and forth between the two batteries.
Yes, I have a Perko switch for that application that I will send.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
I HAVE a windshield mount mirror.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I HAVE a windshield mount mirror.
You should save it for your new boat Robert...

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
You should save it for your new boat Robert...

Oh your buying me a new boat? That's quite generous of you.My favorite colors too.I'll make sure i post lots of pics of it so everyone can see how generous you are.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, I have a Perko switch for that application that I will send.
wow thank you TJ!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
All I can say is wow. Woke up this morning and wakeworlders had paypalled me 140 USD overnight to get these decals done. I truly feel blessed thanks for the support everyone and thanks to those who have donated.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
I'll box up the speakers and get them sent out on Monday.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2012, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Ian. Can someone recommend a budget amp for HLCDs? Or have a good used one I can buy off of you?

Robert I could use a mirror like that for sure. Usually ride with my head turned backwards.

Bought a starting battery, 2 battery boxes, and some earmuffs to run the boat in the driveway. Then snagged a pretty much new spare wheel and tire.

We start the road trip on Sunday after church to my parents in the neighboring province. Gonna start the motor transplant on Sunday night!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Not sure if you need it but I have a 1/2 DIN eq that I'd be happy to send your direction. Let me know!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-30-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
please no matter what you do, leave the "cutlass" sticker on the dash!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-05-2012, 10:22 PM Reply   
little peak at some of the work that was completed this week.....
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-10-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
Haha sippi the sticker stays

Thanks again to those who donated for the decal project. Really appreciate it. Been whole heartedly focusing on the engine install. Have quite a bit of photoshop work to get done before i can take it in for decals. Just woke up to another donation this morning thanks jj.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-10-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
thanks jj.
no problem! saw your message and realized i had forgot to send my donation!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-10-2012, 9:43 PM Reply   
Ok guys I had a GREAT day today.

Here's the back story with the fakesetter.

Last week I headed 600 km (roughly 400 miles) with the boat to install the new (to me) engine.

Here we're all packed and ready for the drive!

photo-14 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

Got it in the shop and a new metal bracket was made to help support the transom.

photo-13 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

Got the new engine lifted and ready to meet it's new home.

photo-12 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

Dropped on the back.

photo-8 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

Dad towing the boat around to the house so we can run it on the hose.

photo-11 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

First time running in the river.

photo-15 by wdkinleyphoto, on Flickr

Solid idle after sitting for 6 years.

Cruising.

Really looking forward to this year!
After I got it out on the river I had a bunch of work to do zip tying up cables and cleaning up the install. Got most of that done so I was pumped about that.

Now I'm looking forward to actually getting to ride behind it again.

Will keep you updated with the decal project as I get started on it.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2012, 11:33 PM Reply   
I do like it, but I don't know if it beats the Sausage Setter!
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-12-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
I didn't see this yet but howabout have the sticker half colors cover the blue an white on the boat to have sticker higher and out of water, where boat is blue make sticker white and where boat is white make sticker blue, can someone photoshop it? Just an idea, maybe a photoshop look would help us see it better and see if it is a dumb idea.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Have a few things to mention in regards to the Fakesetter.....

1. Thank you TJ Morgan (houstonshark) for the mirror and perko. Just arrived here 2 weeks ago. The mirror is fantastic... unfortunately haven't got around to installing the perko. Appreciate it.

2. Calling all Malibu owners.... especially white ones...... I need a super Hi-Res picture of *just* the wakesetter logo on the side of the boat. I haven't been able to do the photoshop yet for the decal. That's in the plan for the next couple weeks. But if someone could email me a picture of just the wakesetter logo in super hi-res (under 10mb tho) to dwightandsarah@hotmail.com I can modify the pic and take it in to get installed.

3. We've been having a ton of fun on this boat! This year I have already pulled people who have never rode before. One guy decided he was going to take up wakeboarding to get over his fear of water. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. He's a decent snowboarder so he had no problems with the concept of wakeboarding but just watching him hyperventilate in the water was hilarious. I already learned some new tricks this year behind it. SW back 180 and SW back 360. It has been an absolute blast. Thanks for all the support / kind words.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-04-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Oh shizzzzzzz. I forgot to ship those speakers to you. Ill get on that this week; sorry!
Old     (gatorboy112)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-21-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
the decals put on there yet? I have a fosgate 550x car amp that came with 8 12s and amp for my truck that I have no use for. I can get my buddy to pick it up from my house, test to make sure it works which I'm sure it does, and have it shipped out to you next week if it'll work for your setup and if you still need it.
Performance
RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) 65 x 4
Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) N/A
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 137 x 4
Bridged Power (Watts x Channels) 275 x 2
Minimum Impedance Bridged 4
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2
Best Frequency Response 20-200k Hz
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.05%
Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB
Input Voltage 14.4v
Features