Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
I finally got the boat out for some real wakeboarding yesterday. I am digging the boat. The wake shape is great. And, I am certain I will be able to perfect the wake with some lead (no pumps/bags).

Our only difficulty was with the ZeroOff. It was holding speed plus/minus 2 to 3 mph. So, we forced to drive old school maintaining speed by hand. This will need to be fixed.

I will post pics of our outing.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I finally got the boat out for some real wakeboarding yesterday. I am digging the boat. The wake shape is great. And, I am certain I will be able to perfect the wake with some lead (no pumps/bags).

Our only difficulty was with the ZeroOff. It was holding speed plus/minus 2 to 3 mph. So, we forced to drive old school maintaining speed by hand. This will need to be fixed.

I will post pics of our outing.
Not good on the Zero Off. May need a reflash or something. Ours stays within 0.1 mph.

Why do you feel it needs lead?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-11-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Awh come on.. you can't go wrong with a little lead in your Zeppelin
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
IXFE, I have some lead bars from my previous boat so I figured I would stash them under the floor to balance out the boat. My boat seems to run drivers side heavy so I will put more on the observer side to make it balanced while empty. Next, I plan to have a couple of lead bags in the cockpit to move around to balance the boat as drivers change and people move around.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
MB Owners, have any of you found a good under the seats bins/trays for organizing things? Something 10" tall and 21" wide and N" long?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
I the small is not that small. I spent some coin on the stainless because I hate rust stains so I hope I never throw it away. I wish they made the baby in stainless because it would work for me 98 percent of the time especially as a second. It does a great job in sand. Every time I deploy that rig someone asks me about it. I feel like I'm throwing an engine block overboard.

Last edited by srock; 09-12-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       09-12-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
lovin mb's direction. congratluations on a great looking boat
Same here! I'm thinking my next boat will be a MB for sure! Only problem I see with that is that I am moving to Atlanta in a week and the closest MB dealer is in Johnson City, TN almost 275 miles away... Thats an awfully long way to go for service or warranty work...
Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       09-13-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Nelmes marine in Al. is only like 185 away. I am not sure if they are a dealer but they have one listed for sale, 2012 model. I am in Atlanta too and will be in the market between a tige and mb in the next year or so. no dealers are close for either in the Atlanta area.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
dock-ready...
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Wow... I love the pic of the vinyl on the sun pad. You will not find vinyl like that on any other boat in this price range... or on many other wakeboats, period! It's not just the vinyl I like, it's the cushion/padding underneath that makes these interiors... it's thick, robust, and very supportive. You butt will not bottom-out in these seats. I also love how they have different elevations in the interior giving it a 3-D look and feel.

Sick boat, Dane! Just very classy.

Here are my favorite pics of my interior that also capture what I'm talking about.

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
Here are some pics from my first outing after my breakin period from a couple of weeks ago.I am the old guy that sucks but has fun.

The wake was great but not yet fine tuned. I also found that I had a bum ZeroOff antenna so we had to drive the old fashioned way.

A big thanks goes to JR & BP for making this a very fun day!
Attached Images

Last edited by diamonddad; 09-22-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
nothing wrong with being the old guy who sucks but has fun...I resemble that remark

Boat looks beautiful, went and checked them out last week in Stockton, very impressed. Wished they had a '12 23 footer in stock, but the 21' had a lot of room for a boat that size...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
you know Tommy, i have a 2012 23 footer for sale
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Yours is a beautiful boat Ian, looked at it quite a few times on your site. timing still just a bit off for me, and also a bit geographically challenging. Not to mention I still have to sell our '02 SAN. Not quite ready to put it up yet, unless I'm sure I can afford the follow-up!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-23-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
You'renever too old to have fun!!Looks like you're getting some decent air there!!Wake looks good too!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-25-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
Covered on the hoist with tower down.
Attached Images

Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-25-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
Sooooooo much better than towing.I found i get much more use outa my boat when left in or above lake than when i used to tow to lake each outing
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-25-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Sooo true.

I got a long cover to protect the gel coat. The exposed front will be fine since its under the boat and the front of the boat only gets sun when the sun is high in the sky. I also decided to cover the boat with the tower down so the cover isn't chopped up and everything is covered. Since the tower folds with ease in seconds, this was the way to go. Now, I just need to see how it does in the first rain storm.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-25-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
Agree on the cover.I used to tow alot and already had a regular cover so being a kind of handyman i cut slits for tower legs and sewed hems into them because its better to tow with tower up.But now that i store it in lake or on land at marina with valet boat service i could do the same as you when i get around to buying one.Do you ever use just a mooring cover?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-25-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
I got the MB cover but will likely never use it. The cover pictured is actually easier to put on and nicer.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-25-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
Yup,covers alot more of the boat than mooring cover would anyway.Thats what i've got to buy next!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-25-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
Where did you get the cover?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
It's a custom sunbrella cover for about $1K. The price I pay for having a boat that lives on a hoist.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
I was torn about covering with tower up or down. Tower down is definitely the way to go for me.

My previous BU was covered with tower up because my Boss tower was very awkward to fold. So, the tower, bimini, racks, bungies and speakers were exposed to the elements. And, the cover was chopped up to straddle the tower legs adding nesting spots for bugs.

My MB tower folds in seconds and the legs of the tower act as a nice cover support.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
GD - Think I saw you cruising around bullfrog Saturday morning? We were in Bill's 23 B52 with red tribal. That you?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
It could have been me but I am not sure where bullfrog is located. I picked up my boat at Larsons Saturday AM to drive her home to DB on the water.

Larsons treated my right in service! Got the 20hr oil service, ZeroOff corrected (bad antenna), tower amp wired, and custom cover delivered. :>)
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-26-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
curious as to where the speakers would sit with the tower folded. This cover is definitely a cheaper option than a canopy for the boat lift. I want to know how it works in the first rain storm.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-26-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
Where did you get the cover? Local shop? skiboatcovers.com??????
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2011, 9:35 PM Reply   
The cover was made by a local canvas guy through Larsons Stockton. You could probably get one for less is you worked it since he already knows the solution. Or, you could find a local canvas shop. It's a pretty simple design.

I am not getting a canopy over the dock because 1) they are expensive and need new canvas every 5 to 7 years, 2) I would need to get side panels to protect fade on the gelcoat, 3) I would still need to collapse the tower and cover the boat and 4) I find the canopies ugly to look at from the house.

I am certain my new cover will drain nicely as it is tented very well. It also has a nice vent at the top to keep the air flowing without the rain entering.

Last edited by diamonddad; 09-26-2011 at 9:38 PM.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-26-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
I run an '02 SAN loaded way down amd it's my favorite wake ever made. My buddy went out and got the same MB you got just different color scheme, first off way impressed with the ballast filling in close to no time with gravity at 1800 lbs. I was pretty impressed with just ballast and a few people of the wake but once we put 750lbs sac in the back and 450 up front that thing got ridiculously fun.

Amazing wake, amazing boat over all and awsome clean construction. Congrats on the new boat
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2011, 12:05 AM Reply   
Got 2 50lb lead wake bags in the mail today. We will use these in the cockpit to balance the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-29-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Got 2 50lb lead wake bags in the mail today. We will use these in the cockpit to balance the boat
GD - where did you get those lead bags? I've looked at the Pop Products, but the ones pictured look much cleaner and easier to position.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Send an email to Jared at leadwake@yahoo.com
He charges $50 per 50lb bag. They are very nice.
Shipping is cheap through one price USPS boxes.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-29-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Shipping is cheap through one price USPS boxes.
This is hilarious. I bet when USPS priced those boxes they didn't envision people stuffing them with lead bags. LoL. No wonder they are going out of business.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2011, 12:04 AM Reply   
GD, I have 12 of those same bags in my boat, I also bought from jared, luckily I live down the street so I did not have to ship it. I use 1 on the floor to balance the wake, although I rarely move it unless its just 2 of us riding.

D HILL. I had a bunch of pop products but sold them. I liked mine until I got to check out lead-wake products. They are close to %30-35 smaller in size and %20 heavier (50 lbs each). The handles on the broad side as apposed to the end like on pop bags is great for lifting and moving. They are padded (on the opposite side of handle) and triple stitched so it wont break open. He said I could customize my material on the outside, was going to have a black on with "axis" put on it... but now that I keep my "balancing" bag under the seats, nobody sees it anyways.

great product. I give it an A
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-03-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Covered on the hoist with tower down.
So how did this cover work out in the rain? Was looking for a report since you've had it some time.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-03-2011, 9:22 PM Reply   
I had a little pond develop after the first rain. It was in the space between the windshield and the tent pole on the passenger side. To counter this, I pulled a couple of 48" bungies across the tower poles behind the windshield to prop the cover up in that space. This appears to work. I have had no ponding since this change. This week, we are getting some more rain with wind so I will let you know how it goes.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-03-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
Hey GD,

Could you if possible take pictures os the bungee's to keep the water from ponding. I have the same problem but can't visualize what you did. In think my brain must be getting mushy cuz I can't picture it.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-04-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
JR, are you covering with the tower poles down like me (pictured above)?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-19-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
No ponding now that I added the two 48" bungie cords across the front. They are strapped across the bimini tiedowns. They are lifting up the cover behind the windshield on the observer side. Here's of picture of my boat today.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-02-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
I bought this boat heater/dryer/fan thingy to add to the boat under the cover.

WEST MARINE Air Dryer Dehumidifier
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-03-2011, 4:24 AM Reply   
Let us know how it works for ya and how much it cost please.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-03-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Let's see a pic of your wake... You got that bad boy dialed yet?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-03-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
Josh, sorry, no winter riding for me. I will get it dialed in the spring. I have lead bars and lead bags ready to go. I also got the zero off antenna corrected with my 20 hr service. So, expect some (sweet) pics next spring!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-03-2011, 7:10 PM Reply   
GD ~ Looking forward to them for sure... Expect the same from my corner! My bro's MB F21 is in warmer weather for the winter and I hope to get a trip or 2 in...