Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (elduder)      Join Date: May 2018       05-30-2018, 1:33 PM Reply   
Considering buying one of these. Any pros and cons for either. From what I've read the vlx interior is larger. Gas consumption is better on the SAN. Both great boats. SAN is 27k 500hrs vlx is 34k 300hrs. Also for the price I can get a new or close to new Yamaha AR195 with a warranty. There's obviously a reason for the price difference but any input on which route to go would be appreciated. Use would be wakeboarding/surfing with 6 adults on the boat.
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       05-31-2018, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduder View Post
Considering buying one of these. Any pros and cons for either. From what I've read the vlx interior is larger. Gas consumption is better on the SAN. Both great boats. SAN is 27k 500hrs vlx is 34k 300hrs. Also for the price I can get a new or close to new Yamaha AR195 with a warranty. There's obviously a reason for the price difference but any input on which route to go would be appreciated. Use would be wakeboarding/surfing with 6 adults on the boat.

Don’t have any experience with either boat. I would not get the Yamaha if you are wanting to surf. I would think the malibu would surf best out of all but like I said I have zero experience with either Hull. San will have a legendary wakeboard wake with some weight.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-31-2018, 5:37 AM Reply   
I used to have a 1995 Nautique Super Sport. It was the same hull as the later Super Air Nautique's. That was just a good boat and a great wakeboard wake and it doesn't take alot of weight to get a really good wake. 1500 to 1800 and it was money.

6 adult will be tight but doable.

I spent alot of time in a 09 VLX and it was a really nice boat but to get the wake really really big wake you had to have bags laying all over the boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2018, 6:38 AM Reply   
I spent a lot of time in both boats wakeboarding. I don't wakesurf.

Both are a great choice. The comments here are accurate.

Malibu: A little more room. Better for hanging out long days on the water with more people. Better wake for beginners, and a great wake for advanced.
SAN: Bigger, steeper wakeboard wake, and does it more efficiently. The wake can be a handful for beginners.

Did the SANs still have the counter clockwise prop rotation back then? From what I heard, this cause frustration with surfers. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2018, 7:18 AM Reply   
There is a 2006 Xstar in KS for sale for $37K.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...27351907452302
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-31-2018, 8:40 AM Reply   
SANs switched prop rotation in 2006, so prior to that prop rotation favors goofy stance on the starboard side, still very much surfable on the port side. Wakeboard wake wins in the SAN hands down, but it is very difficult for beginners to handle even with heavy bow weight and no stern weight. I frequently have 5 adults / 4 kids in my SAN for surfing and it works, but in no way is it relaxing and comfortable. Wakesetter will have a little more room and I think more storage.

That Xstar looks solid, I don't have much experience riding behind that hull tho. I always believe newer is better. All of them are much better options than even a brand new Yamaha for your uses.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-31-2018, 8:48 AM Reply   
One thing about the Yamaha too. It will never hold it's value like a wakeboat will. I bought my 1995 Super Sport in 2006 for 18K and sold it 3 years later for the same price.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-31-2018, 9:00 AM Reply   
NO on the Yammy. Like don't even think about it, NO.

Either boat will suit your needs quite well. If you have beginners in your crew, go VLX.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2018, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
There is a 2006 Xstar in KS for sale for $37K.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...27351907452302
I would go this route. Way more boat. I owned 4 of them from 2006 to 2009. The wake was great, but it literally takes 2 tons of weight to make it awesome. Wakeboarding sets are 5 gallons a pull. My guess is this boat has the MCX 350HP motor which is a great motor, but underpowered if you want a giant wake, and/or run at high altitude. I'd look for one with the LY6 motor.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-31-2018, 12:52 PM Reply   
One thing worth mentioning on the 2002 SAN is the gauges have a tendency to go bad requiring replacement. If they have already been replaced then the engine hours may not be accurate. What engine does it have? If it's the EX330 then hours can be pulled from the engine PCM, but if it's the GT-40 then all you have is the gauge hours.

Other than that the SAN is a great boat for wake, decent for surf, and doable for ski if only recreation. Since your budget could be as high as 34K I'd look at SAN up too 2006. You may find a good deal and get away from the problematic 2002 gauges.

I agree with what others have said concerning the rest.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-31-2018, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I would go this route. Way more boat. I owned 4 of them from 2006 to 2009. The wake was great, but it literally takes 2 tons of weight to make it awesome. Wakeboarding sets are 5 gallons a pull. My guess is this boat has the MCX 350HP motor which is a great motor, but underpowered if you want a giant wake, and/or run at high altitude. I'd look for one with the LY6 motor.
what's the beginner wake like on those? Iconic boat, for sure.
Old     (elduder)      Join Date: May 2018       05-31-2018, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful information. I'll rule out the Yamaha. I'm not on a really strict budget just trying to keep it as close to 30k as possible. How tough is the wake on the SAN for beginner-intermediate? I'd be with people without a ton of experience a lot of the time. I'm in AZ so I'm guessing the xstar would probably cost a lot to ship out here pushing me over budget.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-31-2018, 4:24 PM Reply   
Without ballast (and maybe some weight in the bow) I don't find it hard for beginners. Just slow down a bit!
And with a wake shaper the surf wave is actually pretty good. I'm using the Nauti Curl, works amazingly well.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-31-2018, 5:58 PM Reply   
NO on the Yamaha. it is NOT a wake boat whatsoever, it doesn't have the power for it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-01-2018, 5:36 AM Reply   
The SAN like tripsw said isn't that bad for beginners. It's when you add alot of weight it gets tricky. Because it is a very vertical wake that kicks you straight up, not out. Once you get used to it though, it is really floaty and fun.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-01-2018, 9:14 AM Reply   
Get the SAN. When its time to sell, youll be able to sell it for the exact same price you paid or more.
Its a LEGENDARY boat.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2018, 9:29 AM Reply   
We are talking about similarly priced, 14-16 year old boats. I've wakeboarded behind both model hulls and think you will be happy with either option (as stated, the wakes are different). I don't surf.

I'd go with the one that is in the best condition physically and mechanically. Both should be optioned similarly (Stock tower, PP, 3 bag ballast, etc.) If not, factor what might be needed to be installed into your decision.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-01-2018, 10:48 AM Reply   
The SAN is a legendary wake.....but they are quite small inside. 6 adults inside all the time might be a little tight.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-01-2018, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Get the SAN. When its time to sell, youll be able to sell it for the exact same price you paid or more.
Its a LEGENDARY boat.
How does everyone do that? Still selling for what the first guy paid? Just kidding.
Old     (elduder)      Join Date: May 2018       06-01-2018, 2:30 PM Reply   
There's also a few Moomba boats in the same price range. A 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV, 2002 Mobious V. Any real advantage to a newer boat like the 2007? Otherwise it sounds like any will do just look for the best maintained. Of the 6 some will be women so they're a little smaller than your average person. Unless I accidentally invite someone after drinking a lot the night before haha

Last edited by elduder; 06-01-2018 at 2:33 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2018, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduder View Post
Unless I accidentally invite someone after drinking a lot the night before haha
been there, done that! you're on the way to the lake with your crew and the phone rings.... "where you at?" Um.... going to the.... store. Need anything?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-01-2018, 3:48 PM Reply   
This is wakesurfing with a homemade wake shaper on 1996 super sport aka: SAN 210. The wake gets bigger when the lake is deeper too (only about 9 feet). We have plumbed ballast of 600 on each side of the engine and about 800 - 1000 plumbed into the locker and in the bow. Take the shaper off and speed it up and the wakeboard wake is really good too - the only bad part about it is weight sensitivity and washy wake when unbalanced. I would say unweighted the SAN will have a bigger wake but not overly steep and the wakes are narrow. Rough water, SAN is better. The Malibu VLX interior is not much bigger in 2004, they increased the interior size significantly in 2005. If they're both good condition, I would save $7000.