Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-13-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Good evening.

I've come across a deal on a 2000 tige 21v riders edition. I'm in negotiations now but wanted to get the online opinion before i pulled the trigger. Boat has roughly 450hrs 5.7 mercruiser. All factory and pretty clean. one of the rear seats is slightly torn. 14,500. Maintenance records show well taken care of.

I've read the interior on these boats is poor quality and the towers are pretty bad. Other than that i've found nothing but positive reviews.

I'm a beginner wakeboarder. Currently have a 18' runabout i/o and this would be my first nice boat. I'm looking for something we can load up with 8-10 people and do a little bit of everything. i do not expect to ever be a "pro" wakeboarder but it would be nice to work with a quality wake for once. Just want to be able to throw simple tricks, surf, and cruise through the lakes.

Anyone have any opinions? Seems like a good deal. Also seems like these boats hold their value very well. I know it's the middle of the summer and it's generally not the best time to buy a boat. If you guys think we can get the same/better deal at the end of the year, that may be what i do.

Just looking for opinions/insight.

Thank you.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       06-13-2017, 5:23 PM Reply   
If it's in as nice of shape as you say, that's a good deal. I sold mine (granted it was on top of a brand new Boatmate along with new tower, new motor, automated ballast, and a few other goodies) for $21.5.

Those hulls are HEAVY and weighted properly will throw a great surf wave. It will also handle chop like a champ vs most of the others around that time frame...
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-13-2017, 6:20 PM Reply   
Thank you Matt... i'm going to throw you guys an odd ball...

Once a year we go up to Crystal River and run out into the gulf for scalloping. Would you take a dd/vd once a year or rent a pontoon for $300 a day (2 days)? I'm not worried how the boat handles out there... i've seen everything from airboats to 50"+ yachts out there. i've done it for years with my bowrider with no issue... anything different with these larger inboards vs smaller i/o.

This is not nearly as important as the boat itself being a good deal. I'll rent a boat once a year if need be.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-13-2017, 8:41 PM Reply   
I had a 2001 Tige 21V,... a lot of people love to bash this boat, but I had good luck with mine and enjoyed the wake. Nice and roomy behind the windshield too.

The fit and finish is sub-par, but overall it will be a great boat for what it seems you are looking for.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-13-2017, 9:22 PM Reply   
If you take it into salt water....make sure you have a flush valve. Flush the engine really well and scrub the entire boat inside and outside. I would not take my inboard in saltwater, but I have plumbed in ballast, Ramfill, etc in mine. I used to take my I/O to ocean sometimes, but always cleaned it really well as soon as I got out of water.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-13-2017, 10:54 PM Reply   
Big boat, nice surf wave with minimal effort, never liked the wakeboard wake. I'd buy one again for $14,500. Just sold mine last year for $25K, but it did have a new engine, reupholstered, and wet sounds throughout. The tower was welded (plated all the pivot points). That's the weakest link.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       06-14-2017, 3:59 AM Reply   
Rent a pontoon. Don't take your boat in salt water!! Even if you clean it for days inside and out you will still notice the effects of the salt water. Better to just spend the money and rent something for your annual trip.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-14-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
def dont take that in salt water
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-14-2017, 2:57 PM Reply   
Good deal. That wasn't so much a concern. My biggest concern is the boat itself.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-14-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
The salt water is bad, but filling a wake boat with friggen scallops? You have to be kidding?! The stench would be ingrained into the carpet. The only fishing that should ever be done on a wake boat, is in the cooler for a beer!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-15-2017, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
The salt water is bad, but filling a wake boat with friggen scallops? You have to be kidding?! The stench would be ingrained into the carpet. The only fishing that should ever be done on a wake boat, is in the cooler for a beer!
Funny you say that l last weekend up at lake Berryessa there was a guy bass fishing on the back of a G23 ..I couldnt believe it !! I guess if hes just catch and releasing from the swim deck its ok . lol Id be afraid of hooks in the boat ruining something .
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-16-2017, 5:53 PM Reply   
We've got a 99, and while it's not in the same league as a newer mc or Malibu, it's a hell of a boat. We haven't had any issues with ours and while the wakeboard wake isn't the best in the world, it really gets the job done, and the surf wave is great. I say jump on it!
Old     (Yankees39)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-16-2017, 7:41 PM Reply   
What's the best weight setup for your 99 21v to Maximize the wake for wakeboarding.
We also have a 99 21v limited and it's a real good boat. We wakeboard 95% of the time and like the wake. We run 400s in the back and a 350 in the bow. We typically ride at 20.5 mph. I'm wondering how big we can get the wake. Would 750s in the rear help the wakeboard wake? Or wash it out at that lower speed?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-16-2017, 9:17 PM Reply   
Lance, from what I understand, they don't like front weight much. We've run 750's in the rear and a 600 in the walkway and it was really good at 22.5 mph @70'. You are definitely going to run faster than 20.5 though. if you're looking to surf, we run at 10.3-10.5 with the taps between 4 and 5. Can surf with just people or we've run as much as 1200 in the port locker and nothing in the front.
Old     (Yankees39)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-17-2017, 3:51 AM Reply   
Thanks DC. We enjoy it it's been a fun boat (exspecially since I picked mine up 3 yrs ago for 12k and all I have to do is add perfect pass to it) but we have spent some time on a 2015 24 MXZ and obviously you can't compare the wakeboard wakes but it got me wondering how big can I get my little guys wake? I'll try some 750s

They do seem to be about the best older boat for the price for wakeboarding and people really like the surf wake they put out (we just haven't gotten into it as much)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-17-2017, 6:14 AM Reply   
No problem lance! One last thing, we used to load her a lot more but had to re prop in the process. Ours has a 1-1 transmission, so it was a bit different than a lot of boats out there. We're running a 10.5 pitch on there now and she will take anything we throw at her, but she had a 14 when we got her and that just couldn't get it going when you got the ballast over 2k
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-01-2017, 5:32 PM Reply   
Well boys and girls... after negotiations initially went sideways and walking away from the deal... i received a call about a week ago to come and get it for 15k. That i did.

Picked it up this evening after going for a quick spin.

Initial thoughts of my first inboard experience... WOW. Keep in mind, i'm coming from a bayliner 175 with a 3.0 engine. This Tige feels like it would pull down a house out of the hole. It flies. Can't back up for a damn. throws a ridiculous wake. And when going slow, it appears you can surf this thing with very little effort.

Boat sounded great, ran great. The tower has no cracks but does have a lot of play in it. I'm going to keep an eye on it and run it until we have an issue. My only concern with the test drive was the boat revved to 6k rpms before topping out. I would assume it has a rather aggressive bottom end prop on it. Does that seem to be something that could cause this?

I plan on dropping it on the lake tomorrow and running it for a few hours to get comfortable before loading up with people.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by spearce63; 08-01-2017 at 5:35 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2017, 6:01 PM Reply   
That boat really a ski hull but wake boarding was becoming popular. I would not be surprised if it has a low pitched prop for being heavily ballasted for boarding and surfing. Model number, diameter and pitch should be stamped on the hub.

Replacing that tower would be near the top of my upgrades list.
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-01-2017, 6:26 PM Reply   
Stock prop I believe. Acme 537.

I did notice quite a bit of grass around the prop when I went and looked at it... may have had something to do with it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2017, 6:44 PM Reply   
Yeah, im not sure the 537 has been around for that long. I think that boat could have had stainless 4 blade by Cutter. Anywho, thats a pretty mild prop and should not hit no where near those RPMs. Id double check what the v-drive ratio is.
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-01-2017, 6:59 PM Reply   
I believe it's a 1-1. Will verify.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
Do so, cause the 537 is deff the wrong prop for the black 1:1 v-drive.
Old     (Familyrig)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-01-2017, 9:15 PM Reply   
Congratulations on the boat. Being newer to wake boats I can tell you, you will never go back!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-02-2017, 6:50 AM Reply   
Nice boat !!! I like the lines of those Tige's clean and classy .
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-02-2017, 7:22 AM Reply   
Great looking boat! Congrats on the upgrade...
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Love those things. Great boats. However, it is topped with the worst tower in the history of towers. I feel I can say that as I had one those exact towers on my 2000 22i. That thing is a death trap. You can only bend a paperclip back and forth so many times before it breaks. I've seen some nasty failures on them. You really should replace it asap.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-02-2017, 7:59 PM Reply   
Till you replace that prop, I would not run the rpm's up that high again on older boat, its not designed to hit 6000rpm...you are asking for a failure doing that (I realize you were likely just testing it). I have a newer boat and rarely go over 4500, limit is 5600 on mine. Just something to think about, I know a lot of people do it and are fine, I just don't push my boats to the limit and (knock on wood) have never had a major failure and I like to think its cause I baby them a bit.
Also, since you just got it.....check ALL the fluids and keep an eye on your temp till you can change the impeller at end of season. Its cheap insurance to change impeller every season, change your oil every 50hrs (its a cheap and easy DIY) and get to know exactly how the engine sounds....so if anything seems off, you will catch it before it becomes a big problem.
Congrats on the new ride....once you go inboard and all the different things you can do behind that boat, you will never go back to I/O
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-03-2017, 6:21 AM Reply   
I appreciate it Infinity. You're spot on. If it was going to break, it was going to break before i bought it. Temp stayed consistent. Seems to be a solid boat.I also have all of the maintenance records which makes me feel much better.

Hoping we catch a break this afternoon and it doesn't rain too much. last two days we've had whitecaps on our small lakes from the crazy wind.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-03-2017, 6:32 AM Reply   
Just to add to what infinity said I always keep a spare impeller,the belt and a quart of oil in the boat . Usually if you have the stuff you wont need it ..you know murphys law lol And def dont keep spinning the engine at that high of RPM.