Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-11-2017, 1:17 PM Reply   
Looking to completely detail my boat. Would like to take care of some dirt/scuffs, restore color, and wax. Any recommendations on what products to use for this?
Old     (Stokes760)      Join Date: May 2017       07-12-2017, 10:49 AM Reply   
aqua buff. maguires 45 polish and paste fleat wax. used lake country ccs pads and the cheep da polisher frim harbor freight. this boat was bad when i got it and cleaned up allright.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-12-2017, 5:02 PM Reply   
3M Super Duty with 3M Wool compound pad(white)
3M Finesse IT Glaze with 3m wool buffing pad(yellow)
Colonites fleet wax.

Use a rotary polisher.

Last edited by Blamey; 07-12-2017 at 5:05 PM.
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       07-13-2017, 11:15 AM Reply   
I don't think the products matter that much if you use them right. There are lots of fine products out there. The time and methods you use are what matter.

How bad is the finish?

If it's really bad you may start by wetsanding.

1000 grit wetsand
2000 grit wetsand
rubbing compound w/ wool or foam pad on buffer
polish with foam pad on buffer
wax by hand

That's how I prefer to work. All those steps should be able to revive any gelcoat. If your gel isn't that bad start with a later step.

Last year I removed the decals from my boat and wet sanded where you could see the ghosting.
Then machine compound, machine polish and hand wax.

This year I hit some bad spots with rubbing compound by hand. The machine polished and hand waxed the boat.

Currently I've been using mostly 3M products but in the past I've had good luck with other brands as well.
3M Marine rubbing compound
3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze
3M Marine Cleaner Wax
Collinite Fleet Paste wax
Wipe down with Hot Sauce spray

The 3M cleaner wax is liquid and goes on quickly. I use it sometimes for a quick wax job. The Collinite last longer but takes a bit longer to apply. Also since it's just wax I usually try to polish the boat before using it, typically once per year. ;

The boat is a 2004 Malibu and is stored outdoors during the summer. Sometimes I leave it in the water for a week or two at a time to get the most out of my $20 launch fee on our local lake.

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-13-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Last picture is super creepy. Hahaha.

If you have any seadek, the guys at SCWake make a really good cleaner.

http://www.scwake.com/boat-juice/
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-13-2017, 8:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Last picture is super creepy. Hahaha.

If you have any seadek, the guys at SCWake make a really good cleaner.

http://www.scwake.com/boat-juice/
If you think that this last pic is creepy, check out the 2nd pic in post #2 by Stokes. At least Gavin has his shirt on.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2017, 11:08 PM Reply   
^^^so true!
Old     (Stokes760)      Join Date: May 2017       07-14-2017, 10:46 AM Reply   
f you guys. its been breaking 100 all week lets see if you would wear shirts in this weather
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-14-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes760 View Post
f you guys. its been breaking 100 all week lets see if you would wear shirts in this weather
Stokes - I am sorry man, I didn't mean anything personal by it - plus if you can shave in your boats reflection, you are doing something right. You are right, if it was that damn hot up here, I would for sure be on the water without a shirt on. At least you don't look like the guy in this post - I couldn't get photo link to work
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comme...craigslist_no/
Old     (Stokes760)      Join Date: May 2017       07-14-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
i knew it was in good fun. maybe i should of added a smily😉
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       07-14-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
I've gotten a sunburn, working on the boat, in my driveway, more than once. Someday I'll learn.