Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
Earlier this year my wife and I were able to upgrade our 1996 MB Sports Boss 210 to a 2009 Moomba XLV 23'. This has been a huge change for us, feels like we went from a Cavalier to Cadillac! So when we first purchased the boat we said we weren't going to change anything, but as we all know that never happens! One of my best friends owns a Graphic Design Company, HyghOctane Graphices (Shameless plug) and he rides with us almost every time we are out so he instantly started working on a design as soon as we bought the boat and he saw it. I had already swapped out the chrome rocker wheels for a set of black wheels and I was really happy with just that, but he was able to take it a step further. When we wrapped our MB a couple years ago we tied the trailer into the wrap and that got a ton of attention. I had more people talk about that than the boat so we knew we wanted to do that again. So like I did with my MB I took pics along the way so you can see the process from first design all the way thru the finished product.

These are the first few designs we started with and making changes too. He would send me something and then we would work from there, getting the wifes approval the whole time of course.
Attached Images

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
Once the wrap gets printed there isn't much to see other than start removing hooks, handles, and anything thing you don't want to go over. Then grab a bottle of alcohol and start wiping everything down. We started with the back end and worked from there. The back of this boat has a lot of curves so the vinyl has to be heated and stretched in a lot of different angles. When it's done right it's really cool to watch. The side pieces were right at 25 feet long, this took a lot of adjusting time to line up but once we got it bust out the heat guns and squeegee's
Attached Images

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 6:53 AM Reply   
I mentioned my buddy was a designer and I have another friend who prints and installs wraps as well in Indianapolis. He let us use his shop because it's been raining like crazy the past few weeks so it was nice to be indoors, so thanks John at Graphic Worx as well. While Jeff was working on the boat I got started on the wheels. This was different and we had never done this in the past. My wife wasn't a fan of them in the design at all, but I wanted to give it a shot. Luckily the wheel was fairly flat so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to wrap.
Attached Images

Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-29-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
Lookin pretty sick
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 7:10 AM Reply   
We wanted to bring some of the color of the wrap into the boat so after the wheels were done I hopped inside and wrapped a few interior pieces. We have plans for a few more but this really helped tie it all together.
Attached Images

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
We had right at 16 hours in this wrap, I am really happy with how it turned and I can't wait to have it on the water next week. We are taking a week long trip to Norris lake in TN. I will get more pics of it with the cargo top on is and actually on the water as well. Overall, we couldn't be happier with how it all went.
Attached Images

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
It's amazing how a wrap can wake a boats look up. The great news is we can do this again in four or five years and totally change the look of it. I'll include a couple before pics as well.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
Not usually a fan of wraps but that looks pretty good. I do however like the idea of doing the interior panel along the floor that you did and the face of the wheels.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-29-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
That's a sweet looking wrap. I thought the trailer wheels would be too much but I think they fit the whole design perfectly. I REALLY like the interior paneling. That was a great idea!
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-29-2015, 8:27 PM Reply   
I had your MB with the wrapped trailer photo on my desktop for a year or so, trying to figure out how to do something similar with my boat. That, was badass.

That being said, cool job, I dig the rims - super creative. I like the original green and black boat better though, but it's not mine =)
Old     (HygOctaneGraphics)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-30-2015, 4:21 AM Reply   
The pics don't do it justice. In person the colors pop so much. I had to convince him to trust me on the wheels. I think they are just enough without being to much. We have a couple more ideas to execute that will be very unique. Now I get to spend summer convincing him he should powder coat the tower black with some green components over winter 😉
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by HygOctaneGraphics View Post
The pics don't do it justice. In person the colors pop so much. I had to convince him to trust me on the wheels. I think they are just enough without being to much. We have a couple more ideas to execute that will be very unique. Now I get to spend summer convincing him he should powder coat the tower black with some green components over winter 😉

Nice new HP 360. We sell those down here in Tampa. Great machine for wraps! What vinyl did you use? 3M or Avery.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-30-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
Wow nice work. Congrats on it!
Old     (HygOctaneGraphics)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-30-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
3M
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-05-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
tha is awesome! Love the wheels and interior! great way to keep the boat in top condition!
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-05-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
Great job looks killer IMO!