Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (aryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-26-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
I'm looking at a few boats right now. I wakeboard 90% of the time and surf 10% - but I could do without surfing. My options are currently:
  • 2005 x-star saturday. It's got 450 hours for 35k. From what I've read they're cramped and handle poorly and suck gas - but they throw a mean wake.
  • Also looking at a 2005 wakesetter that the guy wants 32k for, 475 hours. I've always ridden malibus - a 23LSV and a 2012MXZ. I've always been a fan, but mostly because these are the only boats I've ridden consistently and gotten to know the wake.
  • Considering checking out a 2004 supra ssv with 320 hours.
These are my options right now.. Just curious what you guys think would be smart questions to ask, things to do, etc... I've ridden behind friends boats for the last 15 years, but this will be my first purchase so anything you guys thought in hindsight that you can share with me now would be awesome.

Price wise, I'm OK with these prices. In the market I'm in, these prices are fairly good and I've seen every boat that's appeared on CL for the last 3 months.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-27-2015, 1:03 PM Reply   
the mxz is one of the best, if not the best, wakeboard wakes BU makes. my neighbors mxz rocks, so your choices are going to be hard comparing 2 killer boats like the 23 lsv and mxz. the x star is cramped and rides really bow high, but makes a great wake when loaded. The BU does not require as much weight. Whats the max budget? Does size matter? i.e 20 ft, 21 ft etc etc. what type of water?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-27-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
The MXZ is sooooo good for wakeboarding.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-27-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Judging by your price range, I would look at an Axis. Great wake comparable to the malibus and you can find a 2011 for $35k if you look hard enough and willing to travel. The xstar is the next best option.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-28-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
its funny, certain areas of the country cater to certain brands, i always had BU's in the north east, then centurions, now living in SC there is a large swarm of supra/moomba owners and then rave about there wake, the moomba mojo is a nice wake for the price, you may find one in the mid 40's 2012,

any vlx, 05-08 are really nice boats, even the older sv23 hull is great
try to find a v-ride as well, 05-06 where 02 vlx's (for the most part) newer v-ride was an 05-08 era vlx ( i may have a yr off a little, just from memory)

x2 would be a great boat as well, the roomiest 20 ft out there and well regarded as a great all around boat
Old     (aryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-28-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
I've also noticed that. There are a handful of supremes around here - one of which is an 08 with 300ish - they'll take 30, but I just don't know anything about them so it's hrd to justify dropping that amount of money rather than continuing to search for what I know.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-03-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
Where are you located? I have a Centurion Avalanche with only 300 hours in the classifieds right now for $25K throws a MONSTER surf wave.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=4402

Last edited by PureWakesurfing1; 03-03-2015 at 8:16 AM. Reason: .