Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Hi,

Can anybody recommend 5 gal gas cans that I can drive with in my SUV for short distances without dying from the fumes?

Thanks,
Mike
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2012, 4:48 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as you, except I travel 100 miles inhaling the fumes :^(
Old    9Drozd            07-17-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
Get a basket that hooks into the hitch receiver. If you tow, Strap them down to the swim platform. Those would be my suggestions.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-17-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Buy gas containers with good seals. Wedco or similar. I've left the odd one out in the sun and the vapour pressure ballooned out the container almost like a ball, with no leakage or vapour release.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-18-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
I've had absolutely no luck with anything I can buy at a local/chain store. Places like ace hardware, home depot, lowes, fred meyer, wal-mart, etc., all sell crap gas cans with plastic lever pour tubes that leak and click and stop working after only a few uses. My brother suggested going down to the local motorcycle/dirt bike shop and buying some there. I think they're 2x as expensive (or more) but probably worth it. I'll likely try later this summer.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-18-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
i got a big heavy duty trash can liner..... like a 50 gallon from work. put the cans in it and either fold it under or loosely tie. works very good.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-18-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Just smoke a lot when you drive to cover the smell.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-18-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Double edged sword. If they don't vent they could explode in the heat, if they do they stink. Short trips, I use the trash bag method. Long trips I use the swim platform method.
Old     (dragracn)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-18-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
SPACESAVER UTILITY JUGS
15-2000

I use these, most ATV/bike shops should have them. If you buy them with the filler neck, they come with a pop in plug for the hose that usually is tight, if you order with just the cap they will not leak, even if tipped over. They empty in about a minute with the empty hose also, no standing there for 5 mins waiting for it. I have three cans, three caps, and one drain hose.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-19-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
Can't be done. Even if you were able to find something you will still spill some one the outside sooner or later. Nothing like he fresh gas smell in your nice suv. Over time they build up a little layer of grime that needs scrubbing. I almost bought an external tank or with a long hose so I could fill up at the ramp but then I moved and we don't keep the boat in a slip anymore.

Anyways, I've yet to see something that keeps nice cars nice.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-20-2012, 1:11 AM Reply   
vp racing "utilty" jugs with the pour spout work very well. i carry them in a yukon all the time every once in a while you might smell a little but mostly fume free in the car. make sure the caps and vents are tight and they dont leak at all.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-20-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Those mx jugs leak vapour like anything else. Your only option is metal. Race gas comes in 5gal and up metal containers. Find an mx shop, or other race shop selling VP. If u get lucky they will have empties around. If ur not you gotta buy the first round at about 3x the rate of pump gas. If you do go that way don't waste it. Make sure your boats empty, or put it in your lawnmower or chain saw and enjoy. Nobody will argue that Vp c4 is one of the sweetest smells on earth!
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
hauling a gas can inside of a car is just down right dangarouse guys. if the gas vapors are stong enought to smell it then any thing could set it off. moving on your seat could cause static electricity witch can ignite gas fumes. If somthing malfunctions in your cars electronics you could have an explotion. there are so many more reasons not to haul flamibal gases in your car. i bet you wouldnt take a propane tank and crack it open and drive around with it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2012, 5:04 AM Reply   
I've bought a couple of the CARB compliant jugs at Lowes that don't leak any fumes. They suck to use but don't leak fumes or spill if you knock them over.