Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-26-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I've never used a drysuit but I will be this weekend. Air temp should be around 67-68ish with water temp around 53ish. What do you guys recommend? Thermals, sweats, or thermals with sweats on top. Thanks for any other advice you may have.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-26-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
It really depends on the drysuit. With my old Oneill Assault, i would wear shorts and a t shirt with those conditions, with my Bare Ultra, I would wear sweats and a long sleeve tee or maybe even a hoodie.

Not knowing what kind of suit you will be using, Id guess something towards the middle...sweat pants, maybe an underarmor shirt/thermal thing and a long sleeve.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-26-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
Sorry, Oneill Boost drysuit
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-26-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
To me it depends on the weather. 68 deg with full sun and light wind can be pretty toasty in a dry suit. If it's cloudy, it will feel a lot colder. 52 deg water isn;t that cold, either. If it was me riding in those (conditions assuming full sun), I'd be in shorts and t-shirt under the suit. You'll be sweating by the end of a stand up set.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-26-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have the Oneill Boost and im riding just about the same conditions and lately i have just been riding in a t shirt and jeans... If its really chilly that day i will wear a long sleeve shirt instead but with the t shirt the only moment your chilly is when your in the water and the drysuit is like vacuumed to your exposed skin underneath. but once you get pulled up that goes right away.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-27-2011, 4:37 AM Reply   
I like to wear a long sleeve T-shirt and usually do in most temps even when the water is really cold, worst case a thin fleece. I don't like short sleeve because I feel like the suit sticks to my skin a little. Same with pants, usually wear loose fitting pants for mobility occasionally jeans if I forget other pants.

Also make sure to along a dry shirt or hoodie, chances are you'll take a little water down the neck. I have a had a boost for probably 8-9 years and almost always get a little water down the neck, just enough to make your collar damp which is annoying if you have to sit in it the rest of the day.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-27-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
If it's a baggy drysuit like my Barefoot International, i wear some sweats, tshirt, sweatshirt, lifejacket.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-27-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
I would say just a long sleeve T as well. I found whenever I wore a sweatshirt that I would be pretty hot and sweaty after a run. Your a bit cool when you first get in with a long sleeve but you will be glad that's all you have on once your set is finished.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Stay away from cotton and go with poly type stuff. I think you will be sweating pretty quick if you wore more than a long sleeve shirt and light pants or shorts in those temps.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       01-27-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
I would wear board shorts, my heater top, and a life jacket. then the boost suit.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-27-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
long sleeve t-shirt & sweats.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
i always just wore long sleeve t-shirt and my gym pants.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-27-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Anybody ever try a rash guard top and do you really need a life jacket?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       01-27-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
I just feel safer with the life jacket. I always wear it when I ride, so why not wear it under the dry suit. Plus the life jacket keeps you warm to and it doesnt matter that it gets wet. If I fall it seems like there is always a little water that comes in at the neck.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-27-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have nothing of value to add here, but I'll just sit and chuckle to myself. My last run of the season was in 50* water with high 60's for air temp and I was trunking it. I think you'll be fine regardless of what you have under the suit.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-28-2011, 7:05 AM Reply   
Cory YOUR INSANE.... With My old Boost i use to wear board shorts and sweater always was chilli in the water but when riding GREAT
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2011, 7:15 AM Reply   
I know how to layer a Drysuit, heck we rock drysuits in Minnesota for at lease 3-4 months if you wanna ride early and late into the season. I always rock the same thing. I am big fan of fleece. I rock fleece pants, a long sleeve-tee, and a fleece sweat shirt (no hood). The nice thing about fleece is that if you get wet and you will, it dries out super fast. If you bring some basket ball shorts and a rego tee you will be be money. Its good to be able to layer, as the day goes on the sun gets higher, typically the air temp rises. But the water will stay the same. So be able to strip off and add layers as you need.

For what its worth I dont wear a lief jacket under my drysuit or over it for that matter.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Corey - I've pulled the same thing.....but much prefer AT LEAST a heater top in those conditions!
Kicking around picking up a drysuit though, just nicer to be able to get back in the boat and still be dry
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
I ride in those exact conditions with a boost all winter. I wear either a light long sleeve t-shirt or a regular t-shirt and sweats. The drysuit keeps you dry, not warm. You will feel the cold water and you can still get cold, but you will be dry and definitely warmer than a wetsuit. And it is a different kind of cold than if you were in a wetsuit. Also, wear your vest! Wear it under the drysuit. If you were to get a tear while riding (this actually happened to me once) water will get in and not be able to drain out because of the tight gaskets around your ankles. I had so much water in the legs that I could barely pull myself on the swim step. The vest will help keep you afloat if this should happen. Some people rely on the air that is trapped in the drysuit to keep them afloat. Better to be safe and wear a vest . Also, if you find there is too much air in the suit, burp some of the air out of the neck the first time you fall. Have fun!! You will LOVE the drysuit!!!