Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have to get some Steel Toe shoes/boots/whatever for a job I'll be starting soon, and just wondering if anyone would recommend something something COMFORTABLE.

I'll only have to wear them when I go into the factory part of the business (which I don't see being all that much) but just don't really want monster boots and have to clunk around... Best case scenario they would be "dressy" and I could just wear them all the time - offices and factory

I've seen some steel toe boat shoes that look nice but also miserable to wear.... so I guess I was just wondering what people have and like/don't like

*and I asked if they had to be any specific ANSI/ISO/ASTM standard and was told no, so that shouldn't be a concern when I'm shopping*

Thanks!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
zappos.com (and other websites) has some "lighter" weight composite toe shoes. If you are wanting comfort, than my advice is not to go for the cheapest shoe you can find.

I always liked Wolverine. I had a pair that was as comfortable as any of my tennis shoes.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-21-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Redwings are a nice comfortable boot but they are kinda pricey. I wear mine all day every day and have no complaints. They have some dressy looking ones too.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Rocky makes a great boot with either steel toe or composite material. I have a pair of their S2V boot (which I believe they make in steel toe) and they are more comfortable than my running shoes. Its a specops military boot though.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
ahhh, I should mention they had wide sizes which was clutch for me.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Redwings are really nice. They'll last a long time.

I'm wearing Coastal Boots right now. They're also really nice and comfy.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
redwings are nice i bought a pair for my wildland fire boots and they held up great for a whole season out on the fire lines i could only see them being even better when there isnt the aspect of fire affecting them
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
Another vote for Red Wings.
Been wearing them almost every day for thirty years plus, not the steel toe model, but I would think they would be the same comfort wise.
They are pricey, but they are re-soleable so they last a long time.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-21-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
I've had really goo luck Georgia Boots. They also make more of a loafer style steel toe as well.
http://www.georgiabootstore.com/Merc...Code=06oxfords
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
I wear Blundstones pretty much every day I'm not on the job site. http://www.blundstone.com/product_in...egoryID=130264

My current pair is 4 years old and still going. On the job I wear either Danner or Georgia. I just ordered a pair of Red Backs without the steel toes just for casual wear. http://www.redbackboots.com/ubbkboots.html

You can not go wrong with the Blunnies though. I bit pricey but you will get years of use out of them. I also like being able to slip them on and off.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Redwings.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
One of my customers has these steel toe "booties" that you put over your shoes. Kind of clunky, but work great for visitors who need to go out onto the shop floor every now and then.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-22-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
I use Dunham Boots for the last several years now. They are made by New Balance and are available in wide sizes and steel / regular toe.
Old    SamIngram            04-22-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Red Wing shoes use to be made in the USA. They were high quality with high prices. They have since transfered manufacturing to China and are now crap, but still have the high price.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-22-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Check out Redbacks... Love mine...
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Hey Coop, where did you get your Redbacks? My sis in law is in Australia and shipping is killing me.

Thanks.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-23-2010, 11:00 PM Reply   
don't go with wolverines. i wore thru a pair in less than a year. i have both danner and white's. they might be a little to much bulk for what you're looking for though.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-24-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
I have tried many different ones over the years and, the best I have found are Timberland.
Old    deltahoosier            04-24-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Redwings. Wear them every day. I have had wolverines, Doc Johnsons (I think that is what they were called), Timberlands. I have been going back to Red Wings. Problem is most people like the narrow rounded toe look and that just kills most people in comfort. Your toe ends up rubbing against the insides of toe box. I had a narrow ended boot that gave me plantar faciaitis cause my toe was always turned weird. On the Red Wings, they offer a line of the square toe box that offers much more room and my toes do not rest against the toe box. No more caulases.