Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-04-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
I just wanted to give a quick updated for those interested in the Santee Lakes Cable Park project. We are still scheduled for the Santee City Council on August 12th at 7:00 pm in Santee. The address is 10601 Magnolia Avenue, Santee. In addition to this, we are hosting a Pre-Council Rally at Round Table Pizza, just down the street from City Hall from 5:00 to 6:30 pm. The address is 9824 Magnolia Avenue, near Albertson's. Then, after FREE pizza, we will all head to City Hall for the hearing.

All are welcome to attend both events and I can't stress enough how much the project needs positive supporters! Please attend the hearing and send your support e-mails to the Council. If you are a Santee resident, it is CRITICAL you send a letter to the Council expressing you support and approval and attend this hearing! This is happening in your city, so this is your chance to be involved!

Please feel free to visit www.supporttheboardpark.com for a link to e-mail the Council.

I look forward to meeting those who attend on the 12th! If you are going to attend, please let me know with a quick RSVP e-mail to info@santeelakescableboardpark.com. I want to be sure I have enough pizza and goodies for everyone!

Upload
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Elizabeth,

Thanks for keeping us updated. We are all VERY excited about the park, and have been from the start. Guaranteed you will have a ton of us there for support. Can't wait. See you then.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
WakeBoardSD.net Will be there supporting it!

http://www.wakeboardsd.net/forum/index.php?topic=752

http://wakeboardsd.net/2009/07/24/santee-cable-park-city-meeting/
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Representing around the pool and backyard.
Upload
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-08-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Very cool Buzz! 4 days and counting! See you on the 12th!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-09-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I think we are going to go and support it... 100 mile drive...
I think all the wakeboarders should wear nice button down shirts... rather than your old wake shirts. "Keep it Classy San Diego!" the Anchorman. SUPPORT THE CABLE PARK! OUR LAST CHANCE
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-09-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
How far is this park from USOC Chula Vista?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-09-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
About 15 miles from C.V. Very close.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-10-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Who's going? Dave, Aki, David? How about the Canyon Lakers...?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-10-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'll be there and probably speaking if they have time for me.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-10-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
I'll be there.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'll be there.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Elizabeth,

I shot you an e-mail to RSVP. The wife and I will be there representing Canyon Lake!! We heard about the meeting from a spokesman at the Canyon Lake wake comp this past weekend. Thanks for pursuing this on behalf of wakeboarders everywhere!!

See you all there! It looks like there is some good support brewing!!

Danny
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-10-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
2 Days and counting! Can't wait to see you all there and simply can't thank you all enough for your continued support!

I'm SO glad we will have some Canyon Lake reps there too! The more the better!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-11-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
bump

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/11/lake-may-see-more-options-recreation/?metro&zIndex=147335
Old     (cranfaster)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
RSVP
I will be there to support.
John Cranny & family of 5
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-11-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
Please don't skip this meeting thinking that we've got it covered. We literally need everyone to come out because there will be quite a bit of opposition there. If there is any way you can make it, please do!! I'll see you there!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2009, 5:06 AM Reply   
good look today...I'll be rooting for you guys!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-12-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Today is the day! David is correct. The opposition has been going door to door passing out fliers against the cable park. But, we have set up various info booths throughout Santee trying to educate and excite people about the project. I'm hoping we have a HUGE turn out tonight and get that approval we all want SO badly!

I need to get to work printing on all those free week long passes that I am going to give away tonight to everyone who shows up.....

Elizabeth
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
I'll be there in spirit...can I get a pass too?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-12-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
im keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-12-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
A Letter From Jim Craig.
August 11, 2009

Dear Mayor and Council Members:

I just wanted to write you this brief letter of support for this wonderful aquatic concept. As a member of the Carlsbad Parks and Recreation Commission I highly recommend that you support these recreational facilities. It is an amazing innovative concept that will provide good clean recreational fun to thousands. Yes, I said thousands of aquatic fanatics that will like to spend thousands of dollars in your community. It looks like a Win, Win, Win, concept for all. Good for the city, good for the citizens and good for participants.

Sincerely,
Jim Craig
jcraig@heritagesecurity.com
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Nice letter Joe.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-12-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
I should be there along with a friend of mine who lives in Lakeside about 2 minutes from the place.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-12-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
We will be there with a few of us. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and to show our support.

Excellent letter Jim.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-12-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
GETTING READY TO GO DOWN TO SANTEE ABOUT 100 MILE DRIVE... PRAY FOR A CABLE PARK! ALOHA JOE
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-12-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
See you there Joe!! You're a good man for driving so far for the cause. You should get the first slice of pizza!!
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Nice Joe! I'm chomping at the bit here at work in Temecula ready to hop in the TL and peace down there!! Looking forward to meeting some WW peeps.

Danny
Old    sandvign            08-12-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
I'll be there! I just moved to the area from Iowa and don't know anybody. What a great way to get involved in a great cause and meet some people along the way. If you see a strange kid standing in the corner come say hi cause I literally know no body!
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-12-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, there will be a lot of WBSD members over there, come say hi! I'm bringing some WBSD stickers if anyone wants some.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-12-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
good luck guys!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
i wish i could go....last day of summer school.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Any updates on approval hopefully?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2009, 12:24 AM Reply   
Well, the short version....

No decision tonight. The council wants some changes/updates, etc. We were there about 4 hours. Now I know why I am not involved in politics in any way.

Anyhow, I believe Elizabeth will be posting the details, and where things are going. Certainly not dead. Hopefully it will still work out.

Thanks a ton for everyone that showed up for support. Standing room only for 4 hours.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
I had to leave early, when residents got to speak, how heated did it get? I was very impressed with the amount of people who showed up, 150-200? Very impressed to see Herb O'Brien there, thank you for coming down! Lot of other local wake celebs were there as well to support. Thank you for showing up to support this, lets all keep our fingers crossed, and we'll see you at the next meeting.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Very sorry I couldn't make it. Major systems crash at the office and had to work late. Back at it this morning. I am following the story closely here and in the news...

Glad to hear there was such a great turn out by the wakeboarding community.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Article in the paper:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/12/bn12santee225246/?eastcounty&zIndex=148589
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-13-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
It was great to see everyone out there, wish we would have had a better decision, but at least it wasn't NO!

Pretty interesting seeing some of the opposition, I had a good laugh at least :-)
Old    sandvign            08-13-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Yeah it was good to see the debate and listen to what everyone had to say. The biggest thing I think is that none of the people against the idea have been to a cable park before to see the what its like in real life. They have their ideas based on what they know about action sports and from pictures they have looked at on the internet. They don't realize that the cable park is a VERY laid back atmosphere. Not really any hootin and hollerin like they were worried about. And I've spent probably 60+ days either at KC or TSR and not once have I seen a fight/confrontation/situation of any kind that needed police intervention. Also, everyone that was against it lives on or very close to the lake. There was nobody against it that lived in some other area of Santee. So while the day to day lives of a small percentage of the community may be affected slightly, the benefits from the park are for the entire community. Not just a 2 block section.

It was good to meet so many people there as well and good to see some big players out to support. Hope to meet everyone again while this runs its course...again.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       08-13-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Well said, Nick. That would be my thought as well. The opposition has this idea that it's some crazy "ride" thing and everyone is yelling. That's completely not the case, which they would know if they had been to one themselves. When I was at OWC, it's just you and the water/rails. Nobody is yelling across the lake to me!!! Sure, you talk about it when you get back, but it's not the whooping and hollering that the opposition thinks it will bring! I do understand why they would think this, it's simply that they've never been and don't/shouldn't know. It would be awesome if more of the council members could go hit up TSR or OWC on a random weekday and/or weekend to get a true feel for how it works and what's involved. It was cool that the one council member had actually gone to TSR which changed his mind on the whole concept.

There were definitely some interesting characters. I liked when the council member on the right completely tore into the opposition speaker who had threatened the council with recalls etc. if they voted for it. It's like, dude, your opinion is not the only one, and not necessarily the "right" one. Why do you think there are all these people here discussing this?? Because it's not necessarily clear cut, DUMMY!
Old    shooter_08            08-13-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I have been following this for a while and think it’s a great idea. I know this plan has been in the works for years.

I'm just wondering if there has been any thought to modifying this cable park to the 2.0 system. It’s my understanding that the 2.0 is easily moved. You could even tour the system around the so cal area (Carlsbad, mission bay, Ellsinore, Long beach marina) for competition and events. If the opposition at Santee Lakes knows the system can be easily moved, I'm sure they would be willing to give it a test drive so to speak. I would think everyone would be happy with the park once they saw what it was about.

I have been to OWC, but have never seen a 2.0 in person and honestly dont know too much about it.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-13-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
We got home at 12:45am... My feeling is let Santee have their boring little lake, that they can only look at. We need a cable park in a place where it is wanted... I hate politics, and I feel sorry for Trevor and the Dam Water People for putting 6 years and thousands and thousands of dollars into this project. Shame on the city of Santee... Good Luck Trevor in finding a new spot, I know you will and will have a HUGE following. I would love to help out graphicly and with making a video presentation on what a cable park is... including falls, swimming to shore, and with sound... including all the cheering... which I have never heard while riding cable parks...
Glad we went... Too Bad $ for Santee....... Aloha from Huntington Beach.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
So what's the verdict? When is there going to be a conclusion?

Nick, add 5 years to your 60 days. Out of the 5 years I've been going to TSR I've never seen or heard of any type of confrontation.

This is why CA doesn't have a cable park...too much BS politics to sort through.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-13-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
has Mike from Rixen been involved in Santee at all? if not, perhaps getting him out to talk to the community would be good?

just a random thought.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
I am about to discuss a plan for a two tower cable park at a local lake community and have been following the Santee Lakes project closely.

Is there any argument that the "not in my backyard" group is receptive to?

OR

Do these folks have the mind set that any change is bad?

I am sure that some people will just never be happy and they will take any opportunity to share their misery in whatever public forum will give them a voice.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
They are set on Change is BAD. There are a few of the residents that have been circulating flyers to the rest saying all the negatives only.

We need Pat Panakos to come out and speak at the next meeting as well.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-13-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Not in my backyard was their theme.....
The meeting was very orderly, I did see Andy, his dupty Barney, (with his one bullet), and Aunt Bee made biscuits and gravy for the opposition. Opey was at OWC having a blast!
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Do you guys have a copy of one of these fliers?

It would really help to see what the list. That way I have less chance of being unprepared for a response.

Please add to this list of negatives:
-Noise
-Traffic
-Crime
-Action Sports People have bad attitudes
-Spoils nature
-Pollution/Litter
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
The City Council voted to have the plan come back to them with modifications they requested to see. There was no time-frame set as it will take Padre Dam & Trevor Sudweeks a while to come up with the modifications. These include:

Moving the restaurant & pro-shop buildings to the north side of the lake (from the current west).

Beer & wine only at the restaurant (instead of full bar).

Ideas / solutions to parking problems at the entrance to the park (people park on local streets and walk in instead of paying $2 to enter the park & use park parking lots).

I'm guessing it will be a month or two at least before the City Council gets to see it again at which time they will review the proposal again and hear both sides again. Opposition was overheard "We'll be here."

On a positive note, the presentation by Padre Dam & Sudweeks was EXCELLENT and very compelling. City Council was engaged and interested (excepting a few - OK primarily one). They did not say no, but wanted to see some of the opponents issues addressed with the changes above.

Development in California is very difficult. (And people wonder why developers make good money when projects work out. It's to cover all the risk of moving forward on ones like this with no assurance what-so-ever that anything will come of it.)

Good luck Padre Dam & Trevor. Keep at it.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
It sounds like the residents of Santee Lakes could be characterized as an extremely conservative element of retired people?
Old    sandvign            08-13-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
For the most part I think the people are receptive to the idea, just not the location they are shooting for.

Another concern they had was that there would be "hundreds" of people added to their their neighborhood all day. Again I think their lack of experience with parks brings this to their minds. I dont know the actual number for how many people parks see on average per hour, but it is not hundreds like they say. Maybe 40 people there in an average hour. And I'd say thats rounding way up. The park commission said the park hosts 1800 people a day, I dont see an added 200 (again rounding up) being a problem with the additional parking spaces provided by the project. They shot down the comparison to the golf course right away and honestly so did I. But after I thought about it, it really does compare to the golf course. You come in have your 3 hours of fun and take off. There are peak hours and the course just like at the park or everywhere else for that matter. But this is not an all day event for the most part. Some will spend the entire day there but some people play 36 holes in a day too. Pretty good comparison actually. And again back the noise thing, more noise is made on the golf course I'd say. I freak out when I make a long put or a nice shot or something each of the 3 times a year I golf. Nobody yells when stuff is busted out on the cable.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Your laws regarding liability insurance are insane!
The insurance cost for TSR and KC is less than half what you have to cover.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I first have to say a HUGE thank you to all of those who came last night! It was really quite the turn out and I loved meeting you all. I know Trevor was very grateful that there was such a showing from the wakeboarding community/ industry and send kuddos to you for making that happen. We officially had 95 attendees that filled out a speaker slip acknowledging their support for the project and an additional 55 proponents wishing to speak in favor. I'm sure this number did not include kids, spouses of a few, etc. The opposition had 17 attendees and 22 speakers. The speakers we had were all very good and I truly appreciate all of you for taking your time and making the effort.

The verdict is that the project will be continued. This means we have a little more work to do before they will hear the case again. The main reason they chose to continue is that they would like the building locations moved to the north shore of Lake 1. This will take a little time to explore and re-design. As of now, I have no idea how long we are looking at but will keep you all posted on our progress.

Once again, thanks for your support. I really hope we can make this a reality one day in the near future! If you have any questions about the project, feel free to e-mail me for more details.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
I guess I tend to be eternally pessimistic, but the traffic I have observed at Cable Parks is probably less than 50 people per day.

The longest line I have ever waited in at TSR was about 25 people and it took about 20 minutes to get back on the water.
Old    akman            08-13-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity those of you that use the local lakes and have boats would you still be FOR or AGAINST the cable park if you knew if it did open that meant closing San V and El Cap to water contact FOREVER? A friend of mine who will remain un-named and works for the City's water department says "if the cable park opens San v and El Cap will be fishing only" the argument was that "There is now a place for the county to get on the water and enjoy skiing and wakeboarding" so there is no need to open the lakes up using valuable dollars and resources.

How would that sit with all of you? Does that swing your vote one way or the other or could you care less since lake usage is minimal at best?
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-13-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Well, with San V gone and with what it costs us to use El Cap now...most of us don't use it that much anyway.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-13-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
i'd still be for the cable park. san v and el cap suck anyway.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I doubt that the City Lakes & potential cable park are mutually exclusive issues (we get only one or the other). That may be a personal feeling by some at the City Water Department but if they wanted to close the water contact program, they would just do it regardless - I don't think they need a cable park for a reason. (You can already boat/waterski in SD in the bays, so they are already not the only option.)

That said, doesn't the City Water Department or San Diego County Water Authority get state water funds that come with the requirement that they provide recreational use, including water contact?
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-13-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Sad to see the city of Santee turn their back on such a groundbreaking opportunity. Hopefully with some modifications they can still make the cable park happen.

By opening the first cable park in California, Santee could put themselves on the map and become quite the tourist destination. It sounds like the lake/park would be a great place for a family or group of friends to gather, camp, wakeboard, kayak, and bring substantial business to the city . In a time of economic downturn you would think a city would jump on the opportunity to increase tax revenue and tourist numbers.

California needs a cable park, the wakeboard industry needs a cable park, and Santee should make it happen.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-13-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
It was pretty clear from last night that they do not want their name on the map!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-13-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
was anyone who is involved with other cable parks around the country involved with last nights meeting? I think their experience in dealing with surrounding communities (unless they are all out in the boonies like KCW) would be helpful to the battle.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
+ 1 for Cable Park over San V and El Cap ANY DAY!
Old    akman            08-13-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Joe, I agree they are both tough places to ride no doubt, but half the fun of owning a boat is everything that goes with it. Dropping it in the water, hanging out on it with friends, the whole atmosphere of boating is a pretty good time. Being able to teach my son how to wakeboard when he is a year or two older will be priceless to me. I highly doubt the cable park will be down with someone taking up time to teach their kid how to wakeboard on a saturday afternoon with a line full of people that want to ride. Just yesterday my son says to me "Daddy I want to go wakeboarding and surf" which for him is me holding him and surfing the wake since he is all of 2 years old. Man I can't wait to get to the river and take him wakeboarding. I can just see it now for some kid that wants to learn to wakeboard. "dad can you take me wakeboarding" Sorry son the cable park doesn't allow us to do that together....
I would rather take my boat out, have my wife, son and friends pile in and watch someone ride and laugh and have a good time than sit in line and watch from a distance.

That whole area in and around the lakes is an older generation that bought those homes around the thought of having a nice quiet day to relax thru their retirement years. I can honestly say if the cable park were be proposed in my backyard I would be totally against it without a doubt. I like sitting in my tranquil backyard and listening to my waterfall, hearing the birds chirp and reading the paper. I would be pissed if I had to listen to a bunch of people making noise week in and week out. Put yourself in their place and ask yourself if the shoe was on the other foot and you were retired how would you like something like this popping up in your backyard?

Those of you that own boats and visit the local lakes on a regular basis I would think you would be pissed to have the lakes close forever if this goes thru. Now your only venue is the bay (salt water) or a 3 hour drive to the river. Worst case yet sell the boat from lack of use.

Just playing devils advocate.
Old    mendo247            08-13-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
I wouldnt be down for Lakes closing! Totally agree with Gramps, the lake is an experience all in its own, just being on the water with friends and family is what its all about. My best childhood memories are on the water!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-13-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
gramps, i totally see your point and you know i respect your opinion, but we're talkin' about san v and el cap: two lakes that neither of us would bring our families to. would you (or could you) do what you're doing in your pic (which is awesome btw ) at san v or el cap?
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
I hear Gramps but let's not let any lakes close either. We'll show our support when the dam raise project starts to be completed at San V. It probably wouldn't hurt to begin contacting the City of San Diego now and letting them know how much we are looking forward to the new facilities. Gramps might not be able to do at San V what he's doing in the picture above, but it IS a good time with the family there. There's room for both the park and the lakes here.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
All excellent points, for sure!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
Somebody tear the "YES" sticker off of Aki's shirt! :-)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2009, 5:09 AM Reply   
Gramps, after reading your post I have a strong suspession you have never been to a cable park and have the wrong impression of it. At TSR (which I've ridden for the past 5 years) there are always dads on the dock helping their kids. They never say "hurry up, there's a line." When someone is there that has never ridden before makes it up everyone in line is cheering for them. All the "pro's" are very willing to help you out with new tricks. Progression is a lot faster on the cable, I'm sure you don't have a pro on the boat with you every time you go out.

About meeting great people- I have met some of my best friends at the cable park.

You are very fortunate to be able to afford a boat, but unfortunately not everyone that wants to wakeboard is that fortunate and can afford a boat. I love ridding boat as well, but started wakeboarding on a cable and actually enjoy it much more. Cable opens up wakeboarding to the masses.... -the people that can't afford a boat like you can.

PS...I've taken some "little guys" on my board with me....very similar to your pic above.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Gramps, you would still be able to "sit in your tranquil backyard and listen to your waterfall, hearing the birds chirp and read the paper." Cable parks are typically quiet. You could even bring your paper to park and read it waterside. It's a really nice atmosphere.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       08-14-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Just wondering - who ever mentioned that more lakes would be closing? Are we on 2 different topics here?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-14-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Gramps has a very good point that I dont think anyone is thinking about. if you spend countless dollars to spend countless hours enjoying your tranquil backyard, do you really want to hear anything that could disturb the tranquility? I know I hate listening to the music that carries over from the park that is 1/4 mile away from my house. I dont think he is saying he is against the cable park, but like he said, he is only being the devils advocate.
I used to hate NIMBY's, until I became one.

with that said, I hope it happens because that gives me another reason to make more trips to SD!
Old    akman            08-14-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
For the good of the community I removed a few posts including my own which detracted from the good of the goal.

If anyone has any questions that they would like answered just send them in private.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic that was never my intent. I was just hoping people could look at it from another perspective and to look long term on the possibility this means losing the last 2 local lakes forever.

Gramps
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Is that a certainty Gramps? Do people fish at those lakes? Are they going to tell all the fisherman they have to fish at the cable lake? I just don't see anyone being able to justify closing 2 lakes because a cable park opened.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-14-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thank you GRAMPS! The lakes being referred to are El Cap and San V I think, not the additional Santee Lakes.
Old    shooter_08            08-14-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
I second that cable parks are great for families with kids. I went to OWC when on vacation and it blew my expectations out of the water (no pun intended). I love boating, but would give up riding behind a boat in a second if a had easy access to a cable park. You can get everything from a cable that you can get on a boat (including the atmosphere). With a cable you dont need to worry about a 60K boat payment, gas bills, maintenance bill, tow the boat to the lake, launch ramp fee and the wash afterwards. My lake also does not have sliders. Cali needs a cable park. It is the future of wakeboarding.
Old     (joshrice)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-16-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Yay.....More cable parks! If you guys build this, me and bendow and pvsawyer will come out from Texas and play! As long as there's no turds floating around. Hehe.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Yeah...I'd love to go Josh! Have you been riding a lot? I've been out of commision. I had to get a meniscectomy not too long ago. I should be back on the board soon I hope.