Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-26-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Got my new ACME 1235 for my 2004 Wakesetter and went to install it this evening. Got the old nut off easily, threaded on the harmonic puller banged the crap out of it for the last 20 minutes, but the prop won't budge. Tried heating the old prop with a torch (carefully), got it pretty warm, but still won't budge. Tried WD-40 in the keyway, still no good. Am I going to have to make some farmer john rig out of a steering wheel puller to get the old prop off?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Try heating up the area around the prop shaft with a torch and then give it one good strong hit with a dead blow hammer (kind of like a rubber mallet but has a bunch of BB's in it or something. Make sure to hit the center flat area of the prop and not the blades as you can bend the blades pretty easily. All of this while having the harmonic puller as tight as you can get it...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Get a real prop puller.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
Put the nut back on loosely so the prop doesn't fly off fast when it 'Pops' after you hammer it or pop it with the puller.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
With my harmonic puller I find it works best with a bunch of repeated small taps. Hit 10-12 times. No need to really whack the crap out of it.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
Your actually very lucky. Do NOT take the nut off, because as you can SEE, the prop is on their with force, so it will come off with that same force. If you never done it, when you do, you will understand this. Leave the nut on, get a prop puller, and the job is done. Never take the nut off prior to pulling, unless you like gambling. The prop will explode off.....
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-27-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Get a real prop puller.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-27-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
#1 Put that nut back on a couple of turns for safety! (you'll see)
#2 Prop puller
#3 Done, and thinking back that was a good idea to leave the nut on a little.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^ Agree 100%. I have changed many a prop and this is the BEST way to do it right.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Harmonic pullers are hands down the easiest to use and the prop won't come flying off like a traditional puller.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I went back out last night and got the harmonic puller really tightened down tight, then tapped with medim strength for another 10 minutes. It finally came off.... But I think it would have been easier to get a real prop puller from the beginning.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
^^^Don't waste teh money on the prop puller, I've had just as hard a time with them too, plus the prop comes flying off liek a freakin rocket.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-27-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Sam (wake1823) - read the comment about leaving the nut on a couple threads. It makes a huge difference.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-27-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
I put a little grease on the shaft for an easier pull off for the next time, seems to work for me.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
VLX Envy (cavlxenvy) - I take it you've never used a harminc puller. There is nothing to it. You twist it on the end of the shaft and tap on it untill the prop rattles off. Everyone that has ever used mine asks themselves why they just didnt' get one of these. I think it's alot easier to pull a prop off that is really stuck with a harmonic puller than a regular puller. You sometimes really haev to crank on the regualr puller to break the seal.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Matt-The shaft is tapered because that is how the energy is transferred to the prop. If you grease the shaft, you're just putting stress on the key. Just a FYI, don't need to heed my warning.