Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-22-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
I was just thinking about this yesterday and I was interested to see what everybody's thoughts were.

The boats that are coming out right now are so technologically advanced with LCD screens, drive by wire, electronic buttons instead of switches, etc... What in the hell happens 10 or 15 years down the road when these things crap out? Are they going to keep making replacement items or are you screwed and have to redo the whole switch panel? Everything is so custom on these boats if something breaks you are screwed. At least that is the way I see it.

Almost everything on my father's 83 MasterCraft is replaceable by something. Maybe it doesn't look exactly the same but it works the same. That is a 25 year old boat.

As nice as the new technology makes the boats is there a market to make a really nice boat with mechanical guages, toggle switches and less custom stuff. I don't mean to cheapen the important part of the boat like the construction, vinyl and carpet. For that matter you can get really nice round gauges that are more reliable and look nice.

Sorry, just kind of thinking through the keyboard. Just seems to me new boats are being made to last 10 years and then throw away.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-22-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
What on a new boat isn't replaceable that is on your father's 83 Mastercraft? It's not a matter of customization. It's a matter of complication. These new whizbang gadgets on boats are not for the average shade tree mechanic to trifle with. Then again, neither was fuel injection when it first came out. Now it's no big deal.

Tinkerers aren't going to buy a brand new boat. By the time something is old enough to be on their radar, the parts will be commonplace and replacing them will be well understood. Besides, most of the fancy stuff in boating today is about 10-15 years old in the automotive and/or consumer electronics realms. If I have an LCD screen that craps out, I'll find a replacement. At worst case, a sender is still a sender. I'll wire my own gauges. It won't look exactly the same but it will work the same.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-22-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
I see new boats being like three year old cadillacs,cheap because they break all the time or not repaired and sold broken.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-22-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
sangers!
built for life
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
No brand bias here but it will show which brands are really built to last. It will show which manufacturers step up and provide the support to back their product or not. For the amount charged for a new boat, they will hopefully take care of the customer as they should. No matter what though, replacement parts of some kind will be available.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-25-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Right on Brett. Even more so, how will you limp home when one of these systems fail.

Many of these systems will not find support from the manufacturer but from the supplier to the manufacturer. If there is bright spot, these systems will probably make their way onto all boats so the after-market may be quite large.

Where will you find something to fill the odd size hole in the dash. Perhaps the manufacturer's will supply a new blank overlay for the dash if necessary.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
IMO - the more bells and whistles you have, the more problems you will have.
Keep the the basics..
- big, reliable engine
- perfect pass
- massive balast
- big aftermarket sterio
- lots of beer holders