Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2019, 5:57 AM Reply   
I know this happens a few weeks ago, I saw some pics of what the news was saying was the boat and it was a Black Tige.

They said his wife was driving when she struck and Killed 2 other people at night.

Here is my question

Without trying to sound like a Chauvinist
Who here let’s the wife drive the boat after dark??? IMO that’s a Dude’s job, just saying. With that said my wife is a awesome boat driver. I just feel it’s a super sketchy situation driving @ night because people are so stupid and if you don’t do it all the time it’s not a great thing to “learn on the job”

O’Leary’s claim the boat they struck had no Nav lights on. I can totally see that happening can’t tell you how many people on my lake that run around at night with either no transom light or NO lights at all. In fact I don’t know how you hit some one running Nav lights it’s so bright and in your face but with no lights you can run right up on someone super easy

P.S a few years back I was coming home at night and had the pleaser of almost running over a drunk guy SWIMMING across the middle of the lake in total pitch blackness I was only going 5mph but I missed him by only a few inches. Think about how that would have gone down

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...da/2141069001/

Last edited by grant_west; 10-04-2019 at 6:03 AM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2019, 7:06 AM Reply   
O'Leary's boat is a Malibu.

Apparently were going about 15mph. Either way shouldn't have been going that fast at night. I learned my lesson years ago when I was running at night. I couldn't tell the shore lights from the boat that was in front of me as the port or starboard light wasn't visible to me and almost went straight in to the other boat. I flashed my tower lights on/off a few times and the last time I saw the boat and turned. Now, unless it's a full moon where you have some good light I won't go much more than a few mph. Then again, I'm rarely out in that kind of darkness nowadays.

As for his wife driving....whatever. We don't know the reasons she was behind the wheel that night and don't feel that really makes a difference. Some wives may be better operators then the men.

Fault still falls on the boat with no lights on as that just is plain unexceptable.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2019, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Without trying to sound like a Chauvinist
Who here let’s the wife drive the boat after dark??? IMO that’s a Dude’s job,
Totally nailed it, without trying.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       10-06-2019, 1:24 PM Reply   
sure there's a whole lot more to this story than any of us will ever know...
that said if the press is right, the other boat was operating without nav lights. should be 100% their fault regardless of shark tank boat doing 5 or 15.
sad thing is that since they were charged, I'm sure that will open up the floodgates for the bloodsucking lawyers from the other boat to sue them seeing a cash cow in front of them......
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-06-2019, 1:44 PM Reply   
Got into wakeboarding years ago because a buddy of mine was dating a girl who owned a lake house and had a nice Malibu. Still have yet to meet anyone who could dock a boat alone on a windy rough lake better than her.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-07-2019, 4:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwclark View Post
Got into wakeboarding years ago because a buddy of mine was dating a girl who owned a lake house and had a nice Malibu. Still have yet to meet anyone who could dock a boat alone on a windy rough lake better than her.

She developed good wrist skills working that throttle. Hope he married her.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2019, 7:25 AM Reply   
Years back 2 neighbors on my lake ran into each other. Same story here. Neighbor "A" said Neighbor "B" was driving with NO BOAT lights. Said he was on plane at night and the only thing he saw was Neighbor "B's" DASH LIGHTS right b4 he drove into and up the back of his boat. That's right He drove up and into the guys boat.
his boat came up so high and into the other guys boat that his prop got caught on and ripped off the other guys rub rail.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-08-2019, 9:40 AM Reply   
An acquaintance got out of the pen about a year ago over an accident at night. No lights on the vessel he hit, situation was slightly different tho.

Lawyer up Mr Wonderful
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2019, 11:03 AM Reply   
I guess the Moral of the story is your taking a big risk (even if your in the right) by going faster then you can see at night. You can run into Stupid people with no lights and they can wrap you up in some Serious drama. Example even if the idiot you run into is clearly NOT running his light's that don't get you out of the Hot seat. I'm sure the blame is somehow gonna get flipped back on you. And it only makes things 10x worse if injury is involved. So cover you A$$ be safe.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-08-2019, 11:04 PM Reply   
I watch the fishing boats run the lake at night. uber fast not looking at the water, but the fish finder, looking for fish. they zig zag all over the place. never have lights that work and never pay attention. kinda scary. my friends came down oner the summer and kept asking why "those boats zig zag everywhere ate crazy speeds" Explained they are looking for fish and not where they are going. most boaters, not fishing boats, drive straight at night. its rare to see something like this happen. sad
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-09-2019, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
An acquaintance got out of the pen about a year ago over an accident at night. No lights on the vessel he hit, situation was slightly different tho.

Lawyer up Mr Wonderful
I work with a guy who killed someone who was parked in a boat at night. He was charged with boating while intoxicated. Got off, not convicted of anything. He was more than likely drunk based on every time I saw him out on the water. He claimed the other boat didn't have it's lights on when it was anchored. Funny thing is the police video showed the lights on when they were towing it in, dead or dying guy still on board, so I'm sure the lady with him wasn't thinking "oh my God we didn't have our lights on, I better turn them on before anyone sees".
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2019, 12:33 PM Reply   
I had a fisherman tell me one time that “if you’re fishing” you don’t need to have your lights on
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-21-2019, 3:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I had a fisherman tell me one time that “if you’re fishing” you don’t need to have your lights on
makes zero sense
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2019, 5:28 AM Reply   
https://youtu.be/8I0Px2vISFw
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-25-2019, 12:24 AM Reply   
Thx Grant
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2019, 12:05 PM Reply   
My wife is a pretty competent boat driver and trailer backer. I'd trust her before any of my inexperienced guy mates.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-04-2019, 2:46 AM Reply   
from Texas PWD:
Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Navigation Lights
Power Driven Vessels Underway: Power driven vessels of less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.) but more than 12 meters (39.4 ft.) shall exhibit navigation lights as shown in Figure 1. Vessels of less than 12 meters in length, shall show the lights in either Figure 1 or Figure 2.

Manually Driven Vessels when Paddled, Poled, Oared or Windblown
A sailing vessel of less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.), while underway shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight which may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.
A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters (23 ft.) shall, if practicable, exhibit the sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.
All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

doesn't matter if you're fishing, yanking your pud or anything else, need lights at night. YMMV
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2019, 11:23 AM Reply   
denverd1^^^^^^
Ill be sure to print that out & hand it out to the Dumb A$$ people just before we smash into the back of them cause they are not running their lights. LOL LOL LOL

not trying to be a smart ass to you but, I cause know that YOU know what your talking about. And I'm not worried about you, or the many other people that use websites like this in fact I think that most that use this place are most likely good boaters and know the rules. Its the rest of the Wally's that ya got to worry about.

Ralph I feel ya, My wife is a awesome boat driver & I bet better boat backer then 98% of the dudes at my Home Ramp it totally trust her. But that doesn't mean I want her driving the boat @ night having to navigate the minefield of idiots on the way back home. Call me old school or a Chauvinist but, Ill answer the door late at night, Ill go talk with the neighbor about his barking dog, Ill drive the boat back to the dock at night, the Mosh pit is no place for a lady
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2019, 3:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
denverd1^^^^^^
Ill be sure to print that out & hand it out to the Dumb A$$ people just before we smash into the back of them cause they are not running their lights. LOL LOL LOL

not trying to be a smart ass to you but, I cause know that YOU know what your talking about. And I'm not worried about you, or the many other people that use websites like this in fact I think that most that use this place are most likely good boaters and know the rules. Its the rest of the Wally's that ya got to worry about.

Ralph I feel ya, My wife is a awesome boat driver & I bet better boat backer then 98% of the dudes at my Home Ramp it totally trust her. But that doesn't mean I want her driving the boat @ night having to navigate the minefield of idiots on the way back home. Call me old school or a Chauvinist but, Ill answer the door late at night, Ill go talk with the neighbor about his barking dog, Ill drive the boat back to the dock at night, the Mosh pit is no place for a lady
lol. my comment was in response to this:

Quote:
not sure about CA law, but your fishing buddy was likely wrong
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2019, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Fair enough, there is still a place for chivalry in the modern world IMO