Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-10-2017, 1:24 PM Reply   
Anyone know of a good short wakeboard type rope thats out there? When working on spins and certain tricks I slow the boat down and shorten the rope. Since my wakeboard rope I believe only gets down to like 60 or 65 I always use a ski rope. Which works but as we all know those stretch a good amount. I ride normally with about 65 ft since my boat is an x9.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
Get a Follow. Good quality and a really short main line.
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2017, 2:57 PM Reply   
Do the Follow ropes float well? I had a bad experience with newer Accurate Jacket ropes no longer floating like the older ones.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2017, 3:45 PM Reply   
Learn how to shorten the rope to any length. Make a loop, go around the tower, pass the loop under the rope and around the tower attachment point. Actually that's how you always should be doing it or you will end up losing a rope eventually. I'm sure there's a youtube video on it. Takes 2 seconds and won't slip. You can make any rope 1 foot long if you want.
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2017, 6:28 PM Reply   
If you're worried about "losing a rope", you're not hooking it up correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOBjkIEVIkA I also want to have known lengths that I can tell anybody in the boat to easily adjust by saying "pull me in/let me out one segment". I am curious what you're talking about, but if I'm envisioning it correctly it seems like you'd damage any coated rope if you have it looping back over itself. Thus the search for a reasonable length rope - and in my case also one that floats since I have a bunch of family friends/newbs around.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2017, 7:20 PM Reply   
I guess that is how I hook up the rope to a loop. I guess I don't even think about it. Here's the other method. Crap video tho but best I could find. Def beats having to use a ski rope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDLwIwbZGUw&sns=em

That should be be right vid now.

Last edited by antoddio; 07-10-2017 at 7:24 PM. Reason: Video
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2017, 6:23 AM Reply   
This ^^^^^
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-11-2017, 7:33 AM Reply   
Use that method also, works great. I've never done it with a coated line though, I would think it would damage the coating. Works like a charm on braided outer jackets with no damage to the jacket.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-11-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
Buy a rope without a coating or if the coating splits on the line in a couple places, who cares really.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-11-2017, 8:12 AM Reply   
The new Harley Handle combo has a 50'ft mainline and a 5ft' handle so you can ride at 55' which should be plenty short

http://www.liquidforce.com/handles-harley.html
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2017, 11:11 AM Reply   
This thread made me wonder... when people state the length they ride, do they include 5' for the handle? I've always just stated the rope length when asked. I ride with a 65' rope and a 5' handle but always say... 65'.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-11-2017, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
This thread made me wonder... when people state the length they ride, do they include 5' for the handle? I've always just stated the rope length when asked. I ride with a 65' rope and a 5' handle but always say... 65'.
I would guess that people do mean to include the length of the handle. However I can definitely see how confusion comes about. My Ronix rope specifically says it includes the handle in it's lengths. My previous rope did not and it did not include the length of the handle.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Now I'm going to have to measure my rope. I'm not sure if it includes the handle length or not.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
For years the stated line length on the float did not include the handle. Then for a few years, in packages, companies started including the handle in the line length which confused everything. If your set up was purchase separately (handle and main line) chances are the handle length is not included in the stated length.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2017, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may just use my old viper line and place some loops in it. I'm pretty sure I need to be shorter than 50. Could be wrong, I'll check what section I'm using on the slalom rope.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2017, 5:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
typically if you buy a rope/handle together from factory the numbers stated on rope are actaual, however I recently had to measure my flat line and Ronix North T handle to make sure where I was at..rope stated 65 at shortest, I measured with handle actual is 70...

I never could find a good pro rope any more that went short but reading this I see the new Harley set up does..sounds promising but I don't need a new rop LOL

70 my typical length anyway but would be nice to go shorter for other riders and when you wanted to slow down to practice new tricks etc